Three things not working after repair

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Replaced the battery on my 5S. This was my first iPhone repair and I damaged the screen in the process, completely my fault. Replaced the screen, checked out everything, and I was good to go. Several days later I notice the front facing camera wasn't working, it actually locks up the Camera app. Popped the phone open last night, popped off and reseated the connections I touched when I was in there and put it all back together. No luck, but I can live with that. Then today the Volume Up button stopped working, and the accelerometer seems to have as well. I check the Health app and it's not logging any steps.

I guess my question is what could I have done, and is it fixable? Hopefully without replacing the logic board. This is especially important to me because I have a friend with a damaged screen that wants me to fix it, but I don't want to unless I know what I did wrong.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to insult you or anything, but unless you're totally screwing things up, there's no reason that all of those things should be failing all of a sudden in an iPhone 5S. If I had to 'guess', I'd say there's water damage or something is shorting out the device, but I'm just guessing. I'm *assuming* you didn't purchase AppleCare+ for it.

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I didn't get AppleCare, no. And rest assured, I'm not the least bit insulted. I did something, as the odds of multiple things failing at the almost same time days after a repair without it being something I did is.... Well, they aren't odds I'd put any money on. There is no water damage, so I'm guessing there has to be a short somewhere. Guess I'll have to open it up again when I get home. Is it possible that I mixed up the screws on the shield that covers the display connectors?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked ifixit.com There are a ton of guides for iPhone repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

necigrad

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I refered to both IMore and iFixit for walkthroughs. Opened the phone back up tonight. Reseaed the three connectors under the first shield as wll as what I believe is the volume button conector. Front camera still has an issue,but everything else seems to be working again.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is why I would never attempt to fix my phone. There are reputable repair shops that don't charge near as much as Apple or a Carrier repair shop.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was checking out the ifixit guide for replacing the logic board in a iPhone 6 Plus. Too intense for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2