Will the iPhone 5S continue to get updates until mid-2016?

Billy Jo

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
First of all let me say I will NEVER go back to android. Ever. I stupidly got a wild hair up my **** and sold my 5C a few months ago (had a 4S prevously ) and bought a LG G2. I've had androids in the past - Evo,S4.
Anyways I freaking loathed my G2. The OS is awful. It's the little things I missed. The easiness of sending pics, dialing a contact etc.
What really got to me was the pretty much inability to send videos via text. On my iPhone it would literally take 2 seconds to send a video of my kids or something ... And it was HIGH quality. Try doing that on an android (I even tried 3rd party messaging apps) of its longer than 2 seconds "the file will be to big" or you will have to set it to awful awful VGA quality and even then it wouldn't send most of the time. Wanna know what android centrals "easy solution " was??? Get a YouTube channel, upload the video to YouTube , copy th link and send the think to whoever via text message and they can watch it on YouTube . Really??? THAT much stupid work for something so simple ? It was infuriating and even more infuriating that they refused to admit that was an issue.....

Anyways had to get all that off my chest lol.

My niece kindly let me borrow her 5 (she upgraded to a 6) until my tax return. I plan on buying a 5S at that time. I can't afford a 6 outright because I'm not eligible for an upgrade.
So here is my question. If I buy the 5S will it still be a "good phone" until Mid 2016 (June ish) ? That is when my next upgrade will be. I know Apple products typically have longevity and with the A7 chip I would think the 5S would be able to hold its own... So will it? Will it continue to get updates until then ? It surely won't be to outdated by that point will it?

Thanks !

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hey guys, need some advice

hehe that story made me chuckle. I absolutely believe that the 5S will do a solid job until end of 2016. If the past is of any indication, newly released devices will receive support/new software for at least 3 years (just think of the iPhone5 released in 2012, not sure if it'll be eligible for iOS9 in autumn 2015, but that's at least 3). Plus in the case of the 5S, it still has top notch hardware built in, so I would wager the 5S will last even longer. Long story short, I agree with you, the 5S will serve you well till 2016, go for it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I think the 5s will get iOS 9 later this year. The 4s probably not. The 5 maybe. The 5s for sure. It has the 64 bit and the A7 chip. It can handle all the new stuff. Great phone. It'll probably get iOS 10 in 2016.

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I just recently in Nov 2014 upgraded to the gold 5S from a 5C leaving my upgrade unavailable till Nov 2016. I have no worries about the 5S being reliable, as well as receiving updates till that time.

I passed on the 6/6+ because personally I wasn't ready to go with a bigger screen as I had previously thought I would've been. I'm extremely happy with the 5S on daily reliability and performance every day.

Good luck with your purchase !!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to my 5S in May 2014. I won't have an upgrade available until 2016. I have no doubts that my 5S will will receive iOS updates until that time. This is an awesome device. Good luck with your choice.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Easily. The 64bit chip still hasn't really been put to the test, and by that time it would only be 2ish years old. Look at the 4/4s still getting updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Using past iPhone and iOS release and update cycles as a guide: The 5S will get iOS 9 later this year (fall 2015) and should get iOS 10/iOS X next year (fall 2016) as well as all incremental iOS X updates up until iOS 11 in mid to late 2017.

Last edited:

Sanjay Chandra

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Apple strategy is to support with 3 years of updates.

If iPhone comes with 5.0, then it will can be upgraded upto 8.x. However, that 8.x update will slow down the device as two major updates add lot of new features already.

Every OS update takes advantage of newest iPhone hardware. Just take 5s for example, it came out with awesome CPU , motion processor and GPU.

iOS 7 took full advantage of those 3. The motion processor takes less energy and reduces load on main chipset. So 5s will run parallax wallpaper like a beast.

4,4s and 5 don't have motion processor. Only choice is gyroscope. So, more load will be seen on main chipsets of older devices. Even battery consumption will be more. Their processors are already half power or less than half power compared to 5s processor.

At first, slow downs are less noticeable but as you reach 3rd major update, slowdowns can be witnessed so easily. Its a trade off for the new features you get.

Remember that slowdowns will be a matter of 3-4 seconds delay at maximum but not more than that.

Yes 5s will support the updates but can't take complete advantage of all features because some hardware is missing (such as NFC for example or barometer sensor).

If you don't care about NFC or fitness in future updates, getting 5s is good choice.

jakeuten

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
5S is really treating me well. iOS 9.3.1 is running as well as iOS 7. Very smooth and snappy. Hopefully iOS 10 doesn't ruin this thing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73