Is this battery drain normal?!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
What does Battery Usage look like? A screenshot like the one that md17 provided in post #16 above may help give more clues as to what app is using battery. Kataran was hinting at the same earlier on.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
What does Battery Usage look like? A screenshot like the one that md17 provided in post #16 above may help give more clues as to what app is using battery. Kataran was hinting at the same earlier on.

Good idea. Here's a screenshot of my battery usage.

IMG_3345.PNG

Couple of anomalies here.
1. Safari usage of 24% is very strange given the fact that today I have not opened Safari even once. And its also not running in the background (as far as I can tell) since I have been shutting off all apps after usage.
2. What is this "background Activity" for app store?I have not ran any updates nor do I have any background app refresh enabled.
3. Why is my phone showing "low signal" even though I have good network signal all throughout the day?

So it appears Safari may be the culprit. What's happening? Please advise! Thanks.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It looks as if you need to turn your background app refresh off in settings.

c3d0fceae74a6ab5ad95ec19d145b4b0.jpg

I also show low signal, and always do when I'm in the house majority of the time. Seeing I only get 2 bars.

2f8904a4c034c5366bd49a318d4018cd.jpg

Of course, this is a 6Plus, so different battery but results are the same.

I fell asleep with Instagram open, and it's my highest usage. Do you close out your apps all the way? By double pressing the home button and swiping up to close the apps?

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
It looks as if you need to turn your background app refresh off in settings.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/15/c3d0fceae74a6ab5ad95ec19d145b4b0.jpg

I also show low signal, and always do when I'm in the house majority of the time. Seeing I only get 2 bars.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/15/2f8904a4c034c5366bd49a318d4018cd.jpg

Of course, this is a 6Plus, so different battery but results are the same.

I fell asleep with Instagram open, and it's my highest usage. Do you close out your apps all the way? By double pressing the home button and swiping up to close the apps?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have always had background app refresh turned off. Here:

IMG_3346.PNG

So why does it still show "background activity"? Also, I disabled Safari sync from my iCloud settings. It seems to have brought down Safari battery usage. I have done multiple restores from iTunes backup, as well as reinstalling the iOS from iTunes restore. I will now do a network reset. I am running out of options. It is beginning to seem like either my battery just deteriorated by some freak accident or it is iOS update that's causing the battery drain. I was fine before that. :(

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The new update is probably taking a toll on your battery. You might have to get it replaced but next time you reset your phone, don't restore from backup. Use it as new for a while to see if things change. Might be an app that's installed.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
The new update is probably taking a toll on your battery. You might have to get it replaced but next time you reset your phone, don't restore from backup. Use it as new for a while to see if things change. Might be an app that's installed.

Yes, I plan to do that over the weekend. Will use the phone as new to see if it performs better. I am a little reluctant to replace the battery since there aren't any Apple stores in my country. So I will not get original Apple battery if I replace this one. Moreover, if its the update that's killing my battery, won't it have the same effect on a new battery?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have always had background app refresh turned off. Here:

View attachment 73529

So why does it still show "background activity"? Also, I disabled Safari sync from my iCloud settings. It seems to have brought down Safari battery usage. I have done multiple restores from iTunes backup, as well as reinstalling the iOS from iTunes restore. I will now do a network reset. I am running out of options. It is beginning to seem like either my battery just deteriorated by some freak accident or it is iOS update that's causing the battery drain. I was fine before that. :(

Background activity might be apps updating automatically. Do you have auto update turned on for the App Store?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Background activity might be apps updating automatically. Do you have auto update turned on for the App Store?

I don't have auto update turned on. Also, since yesterday I am noticing that the red bubble that appears at the corner of the app store icon when there are updates available are no longer showing up. What's happening?!

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
No it certainly does not look normal...

And I'm in the same boat as you I'm afraid...

Took it of the charger about an hour ago at a full charge, and after about 20 min. use and 40 min. standby, I'm down to 50% battery.

Yes: F I F T Y P E R C E N T

I took some pictures to prove my insane claim, but I'm on mobile Safari right now, and for some reason it wont let me do that.

I've had battery problems ever since I wiped it and upgraded to ios8 about a month and a half ago. And at this point, Id happily pay 5-600$ for an iPhone 5s with iOS 6 running on it. Never had a problem with that one. And battery life was great.

What do you guys think the problem is? Some form of battery or other hardware problems? One thing is for sure, I'm really tired of Apple releasing an OS that actually deprecates performance.

I cleared/wiped it about six weeks ago when I updated to iOS 8, so resetting it shouldn't make a difference, no?

(Had my 5s for about a year, and running 8.1. Not jailbroken, though I'm considering it, so I can get more info on the battery. Jail broken battery apps get much more info than the regular battery apps...)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have auto update turned on. Also, since yesterday I am noticing that the red bubble that appears at the corner of the app store icon when there are updates available are no longer showing up. What's happening?!

There's many of us who don't get the red icon badge for App Store notifications. It does show, but it takes a long time to appear, if at all. It does when I open the App Store app. That's a bug Apple's had since the start of iOS 7. Now I've forgotten your original issue! LOL I'll go back and look.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

When you restored from iTunes, you may have restored the problem. Try restoring the phone as new. Back up your photos in Box or Dropbox and your contacts and other stuff back up to iCloud. Just do a new iCloud back up. Then go to Settings >General >Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. You should get everything back without having restored the problem, whatever it is. It might be a rogue app draining your battery. Did you perform this battery test? I don't recall. It not, do so. It will tell you if the battery is bad.

The test:
Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
When you restored from iTunes, you may have restored the problem. Try restoring the phone as new. Back up your photos in Box or Dropbox and your contacts and other stuff back up to iCloud. Just do a new iCloud back up. Then go to Settings >General >Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. You should get everything back without having restored the problem, whatever it is. It might be a rogue app draining your battery. Did you perform this battery test? I don't recall. It not, do so. It will tell you if the battery is bad.

The test:
Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Many thanks Ledstepelin for your reply. I have already tried what you suggested. I erased all content and setting and set it up as a new phone with my iCloud ID. I didn't install any apps and just let it run. Battery drain remained abysmal as before. So I restored it back from iTunes backup.

You suggested the battery drain test and I did that as well. My usage time was fine and it didn't seem like a rogue app draining the battery. And since I disabled Safari sync from iCloud, Safari is not showing any unnatural battery drain either.

I am beginning to feel its my battery. You think I should go for a battery replacement? In case the issue is with the iOS update, will a new battery help at all? I am just reluctant to replace the battery as there aren't any Apple stores in my country so I will not get original Apple battery replacement. Thanks again for your time and efforts. :)

happyed19

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
After owning my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 5 for a year and a half they started to shutdown when the battery level was still at 10-20%. They would also turn back on and be immediately at 50%. This is a very good indication that your battery needs to be replaced. If this is occurring for you on your iPhone 6, the battery replacement process isn't too difficult. I found this video the most helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=demKhXKBg2Q

cocoapop

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest not using your location services for a while. That drains the battery. Also, a battery case works very well, although it ads a little weight and bulk to your device. For a normal native battery it can extend your usage by a full day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have ultimately bought a new iPhone 6. My 5S would run out of juice in the middle of phone conversations and it was really starting to irritate me. I have no clue where the problem lies but it is near unusable now. I will try to sell it off for whatever I can salvage. Although my new iPhone 6 looks beautiful, I had to spend double for 2 new phones!

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
There's many of us who don't get the red icon badge for App Store notifications. It does show, but it takes a long time to appear, if at all. It does when I open the App Store app. That's a bug Apple's had since the start of iOS 7. Now I've forgotten your original issue! LOL I'll go back and look.

In case this helps somebody else, I realised I wasn't getting the red icon badge for app store since it was disabled in notifications. I enabled it and it worked fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh