I came back...

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
...to the 5s from the 6.

This will be my personal experience with the phone and in no way am I making any judgments. But others might be in the same boat so I thought I'd share.

I actually had a 5 before I switched to the 6. And I wanted to like it...I really did. A bigger screen seemed nice, especially since my sister still raves about her Galaxy S5. I could look past the ugly plastic antenna bands and the protruding camera; I would put a case on it anyway. And the battery on my 5 was beyond horrible at this point--I needed a new phone. So I picked up the 6.

Right away it felt slippery, even with a case on. I used the Speck CandyShell then switched to the CandyShell Grip briefly. I could use it one-handed...sort of. I had tested it out in the store before but never with a case, which added a little more bulk. My hands are a little on the small side for a guy and I found myself having to shift the phone in my hand to reach the top parts of the screen. Yes, I could use Reachability, but I felt that it was a lame compromise and it just got annoying to have the screen bounce up and down when I had to go back through many screens, such as in the Settings app. It didn't take that long to get my hand tired, especially with the phone being a little heavier than the 5. It's not a huge difference in weight by any means, but I could definitely notice it while using it on my commute one-handed. And I missed the sharp edges of the 5, which I personally liked...much better than the rounded edges of the 6.

Battery life was AMAZING. I wish they had made these batteries earlier. I also liked the new design of the earpiece and how it was more flush with the surface of the phone. But that was about it. I realized that a larger screen didn't really benefit me much in any way. I don't play games on my phone--the ones I do play are simple word or card games. I don't watch videos on my phone (I do that on my TV or laptop) and I don't read (I have a Kindle if I want to read). And so a larger screen, I realized, wasn't a must for me. I also realized (again) that Apple didn't do much to take advantage of the larger screen. Sure, I could see more text and display more icons (though I used the Zoomed view so it was the same as my 5) and things were a little bigger, but that was it. No split-screen like the 6 Plus even though I feel like the 6 could have handled it. Nothing really different that could take advantage of the larger screen.

These things made me realize that I missed my little phone. It was so much easier to use one-handed and it worked just fine for me, save for the battery. So I went to the Apple Store and did their first-ever (so the Genius said) exchange from a 6 to a 5s. It's a step backwards, but it was one I was willing to take. The phone feels so much more comfortable in my hand and I enjoy using it, which I think is important for a daily device. And it feels better in my pockets too!

I know eventually I'll probably move to a bigger phone, maybe when the 6 becomes free like the 5c. Until then, though, the 5s and its 4" screen is good for me.

End of my story...at least I got the white 5s, so that's a change (I had the black 5)! :cool:

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My 6 was overheating and the screen was showing black lines.

So I returned it. Got myself a 5s. Had a 5c prior and really wanted the newest thing.

Think I'll be waiting a few months to see if the bugs will be worked out. If not, I'll be waiting for the 6s in hopes it'll be stabilized. Hopefully they'll give 2GB of RAM too.

I'm also just not sure what I think about 4.7 inch phones. I think they should of gone with their traditional .5' increments.

ctl904

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same way about my 5s. Its the perfect size for me and I have no intention to upgrade to a bigger phone until I literally have to. Anything that is uncomfortable on the little screen, I have my tablet and/or laptop for. The 5s handles my daily activities perfectly. I am real curious to see what Apple continues to do with phone sizes in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Look your post was a long drawn out attempt to try to justify downgrading to an inferior product, in a color scheme designed to appeal more to the female gender of consumers.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Look your post was a long drawn out attempt to try to justify downgrading to an inferior product, in a color scheme designed to appeal more to the female gender of consumers.

What I don't understand is... Why do you care? If you say you don't, why bother responding? I like the fact that people can express their opinions here freely. It makes me lash out when I see people who feign indifference yet have to find a way to belittle or be arrogant towards a post or comment they "Don't care about".

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
@stoneland: Thanks for sharing. I've been debating this same thing and decided to keep my iP6. My only hope is that Apple doesn't ditch the 4" screen, and consider an iP6 "mini."

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
What I don't understand is... Why do you care? If you say you don't, why bother responding? I like the fact that people can express their opinions here freely. It makes me lash out when I see people who feign indifference yet have to find a way to belittle or be arrogant towards a post or comment they "Don't care about".
I thought I had made it clear that I didn't care what you thought about me, if not let's do so now. I don't care what you think about me, sorry that hurts your feelings ...
For someone who "likes the fact that people can express their opinions here freely." You seem to contradict yourself by lashing out at me for expressing mine. Never mind, I get it ... It's only when said opinion concurs with yours is it okay ...

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Not according to Forbes: Three Reasons Apple Created The iPhone 5C...

But here's a little observation: If you omit the "color scheme" part, your post could read: "...attempt to try to justify downgrading to an inferior product designed to appeal more to the female gender." Please know that I'm not accusing you, I really don't think you meant to equate the terms inferior and females, but also know that we are sensitive to such wordings.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro