Case on 5s - protects or not?

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you know how durable the back and the edge/frame are on the 5s?

I got a brand new 5s today and i put it in a TPU cheap transparent case out of the box. The case is tight fit even if the plastic is pretty soft, so i had to kinda push the phone in it. (it didnt just slip like nothing there was a bit of resistance cus the TPU case is tight)

Now im afraid it can get scratches cus of the case, and the phone sure does feel better naked. So i dont know if i should take it out or not. Is a case really necessary on the 5s or not? Im very careful and really babying my phone, and im not that afraid i will drop my phone, im more worried about getting scratches on the back and the frame from wear and tear.

Again the case can cause wear on the phone, but without it you risk wearing out the phone itself :confused::concern:

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The 5S is very durable, build quality is excellent. I use a Seidio Surface case on my 5S. It doesn't scratch or damage the phone. Enjoy your 5S!

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm using my iPhone 5S without a cover. Just transparent protectors are applied on the front & back for some protection. Feels awesome that way. And the phone is durable enough.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore avital

I also have a 5s and have been using the same TPU transparent cases for almost 6 months with no problems other than a little yellowing on the case only so I'm actually on my third one. They give minimal protection but have kept my Gold 5s looking brand new

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your welcome ;)

Then theres no reason to be worried about the case causing scratches on the phone?

Because when putting on or removing the TPU case i was worried about causing something to the frame and the corners. The case takes a little force to remove/put on, its not just sliding in without resistance...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a cheap transparent case for my 5S and was afraid to use it because the inside had rough edges. Over time anything can scratch anything.
I believe that a good case will protect the phone more so than being careful with it because there are times when the phone could end up next to coins or keys in a pocket or just a simple drop on a table or floor.

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, the TPU transparent case have rough edges, i guess its because the case should fit pretty tight around the phone without gaps. Still i dont like those hard edges.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually use/rotate several different cases and remove/replace them on a weekly basis and my Gold 5s still looks brand new (purchased 12/13). I mostly use Spigen brand. There shouldn't be a problem with the cases causing scratches, the 5s is pretty durable. I have to admit the 5s looks and feel GREAT naked, and sometimes I do go caseless...SMILE:biggrin:

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I rotate between a tpu in transparent pink and my two candyshells. The tpu is the closest I will ever get to naked with my phone.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Black Apple leather case and tech armor screen protector on my Silver 5S. I feel completely safe with that configuration!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm using my iPhone 5S without a cover. Just transparent protectors are applied on the front & back for some protection. Feels awesome that way. And the phone is durable enough.

I also use this type of protection with Zagg GLASS on front and Zagg Invisible Shield HD on back for the times I do go naked. This combination also fits great with my 7 different cases.

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I think i will buy the Apple leather case tomorrow. Its pretty expensive (since i already paid a lot for the phone) but i think its nice even if the edges seems to be tight. I dont like to push the phone hard into a case. Maybe i can look at it out of the package.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I think i will buy the Apple leather case tomorrow. Its pretty expensive (since i already paid a lot for the phone) but i think its nice even if the edges seems to be tight. I dont like to push the phone hard into a case. Maybe i can look at it out of the package.

Trust us the squeeze it actually a plus for the phone it will keep it from rubbing in daily use which will dull the finish over time. As long as you protect the power button when putting it on as to not jar it to much. I always put the top in a case in a slight angle to seat in the power button and then to the left slightly to clear the volume mute buttons then just pry the rest in with finesse not force

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
But wait, i figured that the best solution is to use a small soft phone sock and not a case!

You can take the phone out when you want to use it, then simply put it back in when your on the go. Isnt that a good idea, or will it scratch the phone taking it in and out? I found my old "sock" and im gonna post it here, tell me what you think??

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I know i have to be really careful omg if i drop that phone idk what to do.
But do you think it will scratch up mad when taking it out and putting it back in all day long? Its soft for sure, but its designed with those fabric patterns or whatever its called

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
The only downside with the Apple leather case is that it covers the whole back of the phone. It should be transparent or something. Dont want to hide the back of the lovely 5s :concern:

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow! I bought the Apple leather case, and this really destroyed my phone!
It SO tight fitting, so i had to struggle for 10 minutes removing it again (i wanted to make sure there wasnt any dust on the back of my phone) i didnt think i would be able to remove the case! Finally i got it off, and yea you can really see the result when looking around the edges on the phone. I never thought it would sit so tight that i had to use force to remove it, and for the price it made some really nice scratches on my phone. Why is it so damn tight?? I dont know what to do now :straight-face: