I think I have gotten myself in a muddle over what to do with my photo's

just to be clear I have an iphone 5s and an ipad [would it be called a 4] and I have a iMac from 2010 with the latest software it can have on it.

I also use dropbox and whenever i take a pic on my iphone it copies it to dropbox when i am on wifi.

I often take photo's with a normal camera and upload them onto the ipad to view and delete the poor quality ones.

I recently got rid of my iphone 4 and used iphoto on the mac to import them and then I moved them to a dropbox folder - I did this as I wasn't sure how i was going to keep them available when I started on the 5s.
    I have done the same and imported and moved all my ipad photo's to a dropbox folder so i can do the upgrade to iOS8

Thus having set the scene above I want to organise my photo's so they don't take up camera memory but are readily available across devices.

do i set up family streaming or do i do as above and then when the icloud photo issue is sorted out for the mac sign up to that.

or

is there an easier current solution?

The biggest problem I seemed to have is the fact i struggled to think of a way to move the photo's from the old iphone to the new one.

Sorry for the congestion
    09-24-2014 07:38 AM
    There are many options for you. I will tell you two different methods I use and others will likely chime in as well.

Method 1 (for local storage). On my computer, I created a folder called Mike's Pics. Within this folder, I created new folders (to be my albums) and named each accordingly. I then sorted all of my photos into each of these folders. When I sync any of my devices via iTunes, in the photos tab at the top in iTunes I select the folder named Mike's Pics, choose 'all folders' and check videos. By doing it this way, not only are all my my pics backed up in a logical manner on my computer, but they are stored locally on my phone and ipad in the photos app....sorted and in album format.

Method 2 (for cloud storage). I prefer Google Drive. You get 15GB of storage per google account for free. Also, in the iOS Google Drive app, you can manage multiple accounts so you could have infinite amount of free storage in one app. I also prefer the way Google Drive handles photos and videos. You can choose thumbnail or list view for both folders and individual files which is nice. You can do just about anything with the files too. Rename them, edit them, share them, etc. I have found Google Drive to meet my needs above and beyond Dropbox but that is purely subjective. Of course, Google Drive can be accessed across all devices.

Those are the two methods I use. I hope I was able to help in some way.
    aapierre likes this.
    09-24-2014 09:44 AM
    Thanks

for option 1

Am I right in thinking that my folder - Aidan's pics would then have sub folders eg. dog, family, parties, sport etc.. and when i take the pic it goes into Aida's pics and I have to sync the phone and move the pics into the correct sub folder?
    09-24-2014 10:27 AM
    I use Google Drive and One Drive. As said Google Drive gives you 15GB's of storage.
    And with camera upload on, I have 30GB's of storage with One Drive.
    What else is nice with One Drive.
    I received an email from them. They now support 10GB file upload size.
    09-24-2014 10:48 AM
    Can i sort my iphone out to store the photo's directly into a folder on the google drive or do I have to do a sync to get that done?
    09-24-2014 12:03 PM
    Can i sort my iphone out to store the photo's directly into a folder on the google drive or do I have to do a sync to get that done?
    If I understand you correctly. You can create folders in Google Drive, and move your photos into the folders.
    Unfortunately though,Google Drive does not have a camera upload feature.
    Unless of course you want to use Google +.
    Last edited by joemd60; 09-24-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    09-24-2014 12:11 PM
    Thanks

for option 1

Am I right in thinking that my folder - Aidan's pics would then have sub folders eg. dog, family, parties, sport etc.. and when i take the pic it goes into Aida's pics and I have to sync the phone and move the pics into the correct sub folder?
    Yes but you would be doing this on your computer. It is more of a permanent solution to sorting and storing vs the cloud. You could leave every pic you take on your phone, in the camera roll yet have them sorted in the cloud at the same time. With Option one, you take the pics off your phone and sort them into the sub folders on your computer. Then you sync those back to your phone. All the pics you move out of you camera roll will then show back up in your photos app, but in dedicated albums instead.
    aapierre likes this.
    09-24-2014 03:22 PM
    Thanks

now thats what I'm looking for and will run with that option

thanks again
    09-25-2014 05:11 AM