Staying with my iPhone 5s. What will I miss out if I don't get the 6?

d1Rdevil091

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
re:

All that has changed is:
- screen size
- faster chip
- nfc
- camera (nothing too special)

That's not enough for me to upgrade. If anything, I'm waiting for the 6s...

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

The only thing immediate is the NFC ApplePay! You have to buy the Watch to use it with the 5S which comes out in April. Otherwise, it will take two-three years to full use the Wi-Fi 802.11ac in public and LTE 4 will take that long or longer. So, you can use the 5S for a good three years; if you do not upgrade the iOS every year! I am not going to upgrade to iOS8 until much later on this year or never. I want to have my 5S to remain fast and with no lags. Each upgrade you do; you just slow your mobile device operation just a bit more. After 3 new iOS; it doe run to well. But if you don't upgrade to future iOSes; and you get all the apps now and not upgrade the apps; you will be fine for a long time to come!

Last edited:

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

I am keeping my 5s as well for now. I walked into AT&T and checked out the demo models yesterday. The screens were gorgeous but nothing else tempted me.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
I lied. I ordered a white/silver 64 gb iPhone 6.

Expected delivery says 10/13-10/22, hope I don't have to wait that long.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking to stay with my 5S. What will I be missing out if I don't get the 6?

I lied. I ordered a white/silver 64 gb iPhone 6.

Expected delivery says 10/13-10/22, hope I don't have to wait that long.

It got you and you didn't even have to go into the store.:) Congrats enjoy your iPhone 6!

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
re:

With all the of the media coverage about the iPhone 6, and dozens of discussion threads on this site, do you really not know the answer to this question? Jeezus!

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
re:

If it makes you feel better, I returned my 6 after using it for a day and will be getting a new 5S instead. Didn't care for the phone. Beautiful screen though.

Interesting. Been thinking the same. What made you change besides not caring for it? Anything particular?

rootbeersoup

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
re:

Interesting. Been thinking the same. What made you change besides not caring for it? Anything particular?

The size of the 5/5s is much easier to use one handed and it just makes sense to have a phone that's more functional in that regard. The 6 has a gorgeous screen but I rarely use my phone for entertainment and surely the 5s suffices in the screen dept as well.

But really I just favored the smaller compact size versus the benefits of a larger screen

motor96

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Looking to stay with my 5S. What will I be missing out if I don't get the 6?

I also had the 6 since launch day and back on 5s. I will return the 6. It is awesome device. Screen and camera. But the 5s compactness and one handed use cannot be beaten. For me at least. I hope they keep this form factor and maybe do a refreshing to the camera and add nfc but I think that's wishful thinking. I'm happy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
re:

The size of the 5/5s is much easier to use one handed and it just makes sense to have a phone that's more functional in that regard. The 6 has a gorgeous screen but I rarely use my phone for entertainment and surely the 5s suffices in the screen dept as well.

But really I just favored the smaller compact size versus the benefits of a larger screen

-I hear ya 100%. Been doing a lot of research the last couple days and really kind of made sure I was aware of how I use my phone. It's become pretty obvious that, as I've said, I never watch videos, never play games. I pretty much use my cell for texting, calls, and some social media. I was perfectly content doing that on the 5S, and the size/compactness is hard to beat...as you said.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

It would be great if Apple would put the A8 and M8 chips as well as NFC in the i5 form factor and call it the i6 mini

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
re:

It would be great if Apple would put the A8 and M8 chips as well as NFC in the i5 form factor and call it the i6 mini

-Right? That would be awesome. Here's what I see happening....more and more people will figure out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, like I have. There are small, some may say trivial, things that you give up even with the small .7 increase in screen. It IS harder, though not much to do things one-handed. It IS more cumbersome than you think. I think, over time, more folks will figure out that they miss the 4 inch screen. Just a guess of course.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

-Right? That would be awesome. Here's what I see happening....more and more people will figure out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, like I have. There are small, some may say trivial, things that you give up even with the small .7 increase in screen. It IS harder, though not much to do things one-handed. It IS more cumbersome than you think. I think, over time, more folks will figure out that they miss the 4 inch screen. Just a guess of course.

I agree the 4" is the sweet spot and if Apple never upgrades it a lot of people will hold off for a long while. My 5s will stay with me for as long as it holds up

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
re:

I'm kinda feeling the same way, but the screen size of the iPhone 6 and 6plus is ....ENTICING.

:)Same for me as well.... I'm very happy with iOS8 on my 5C and LOVE the color as well. The screen size on the 6+ is VERY enticing but I'm just not ready to let go of my coral pink 5C. I'll probably start considering upgrading to the 6+ maybe sometime after Christmas or the new year. My upgrade is avail now to use, but it won't do my wallet any harm in waiting LOL

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Quite honestly I think a 5S advantage over the 6 is the size, not the screen in itself. 5S is a perfect size for one handed use. That is one thing I value with any smartphone.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I still love my 5S but I know I'm going to want to take advantage of Apple Pay in the future. So if a 4.7 6S is the only option next year that's what it will be.
I think the 6 plus would be too much to pocket and I don't wear skinny jeans.
I had a chance to use my sisters Galaxy S5 for the 1st time today and at 5.1 I thought it was too much for my jeans pocket.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I still love my 5S but I know I'm going to want to take advantage of Apple Pay in the future. So if a 4.7 6S is the only option next year that's what it will be.
I think the 6 plus would be too much to pocket and I don't wear skinny jeans.
I had a chance to use my sisters Galaxy S5 for the 1st time today and at 5.1 I thought it was too much for my jeans pocket.

-I hear ya on the Apple Pay thing man....I just don't know how ready for prime time that stuff is. It's going to be a long time until I use that stuff and feel 100% secure. That's just me. They're going to have to get a ton more stores on board before I even consider using that. It's my understanding that some stores are refusing at this time because the hardware/software to have that in stores is very, very expensive.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I returned my 6 today and went back to a Space Grey 32 gig 5S. I feel like I'm whole once again. Seriously.

:) Do what works for you Tank. Glad to hear your happy back with your 5S. Enjoy it, all over again!

I'm in no rush to upgrade right now either because I'm enjoying my coral pink 5C ! Although I would love to upgrade to the larger 6+ screen for having better visual benefits as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I'm just not ready to part with my 5C yet so I always have reading glasses with me just in case I need them.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from an LG G2 to a HTC One M8 on last Tuesday and today, I'm considering going back into Verizon and giving them this M8 back in exchange for a 32GB, Space Grey......5S. Why? Because due to recent developments, I need something that I'm almost guaranteed to get OEM support from for the next couple years as I'll likely lose my ability to switch phones on a whim.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods