Will be selling my Iphone 5s with AT&T and will be buying the iPhone 6 but I would like to have the iPhone 5s unlocked and was wondering the cheapest place on the web to have it unlocked. any idea would be appreciated.
    09-10-2014 10:42 PM
    Will be selling my Iphone 5s with AT&T and will be buying the iPhone 6 but I would like to have the iPhone 5s unlocked and was wondering the cheapest place on the web to have it unlocked. any idea would be appreciated.
    A new law just passed makes it legal to unlock phones. Carriers can now do that, so I would talk to your carrier about unlocking your phone.
    09-10-2014 10:57 PM
    AT&T will unlock it for you
    09-11-2014 09:52 AM
    The cheapest option (FREE) would be to go through the carrier (AT&T in your case) and get it unlocked there. Submit a request and wait for them to respond. If your account is in good standing, and you have a good reason (traveling out of the country, etc), they will usually unlock it. If the device is no longer under contract, they have to unlock it.
    09-11-2014 10:06 AM
    A new law just passed makes it legal to unlock phones. Carriers can now do that, so I would talk to your carrier about unlocking your phone.
    Carriers could always do it. But when the DMCA exception was removed, they had no reason to. Since it is now legal to unlock all cell phones, you can use any 3rd party to get it unlocked, as well.
    09-11-2014 10:08 AM
    I was told by ATT (literally 4 minutes ago after they denied my request) that if you are under contract, that device on the contracted line will not be unlocked until it's off contract or removed from the line under contract. They said the law doesn't apply to devices on a contract.

"Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:
    Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: when you Early Upgrade you must complete the 14 day Buyers Remorse Period on your new device before requesting your previous device be unlocked. You should complete the unlock process before porting out your number for use with another carrier Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee"
    09-11-2014 12:44 PM
    I was told by ATT (literally 4 minutes ago after they denied my request) that if you are under contract, that device on the contracted line will not be unlocked until it's off contract or removed from the line under contract. They said the law doesn't apply to devices on a contract.
    If you buy subsidized, you have to compete the contract, or buy out the contract, and they have to unlock it...
    09-11-2014 12:48 PM
    If you buy subsidized, you have to compete the contract, or buy out the contract, and they have to unlock it...
    Well, when I buy the new one full price and activate that on my line, that one will in effect assume the rest of the contract, and the 5S will no longer be on contract.
    09-12-2014 09:42 AM
    Carriers could always do it. But when the DMCA exception was removed, they had no reason to. Since it is now legal to unlock all cell phones, you can use any 3rd party to get it unlocked, as well.
    Wouldn't a 3rd party void your warranty, assuming your carrier is the only authorized party that can unlock your cellphone?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    09-12-2014 11:46 AM
    Wouldn't a 3rd party void your warranty, assuming your carrier is the only authorized party that can unlock your cellphone?

Nope. Not sure where you got the "carrier is the only authorized... unlock".
    09-12-2014 12:20 PM
    It's an assumption. Because unauthorized changes to your iPhone could make Apple deny you service.

09-12-2014 12:29 PM
    It's an assumption. Because unauthorized changes to your iPhone could make Apple deny you service.

Not an issue. Unlocking, as done by the carriers and the services is not a "hack" like is done through old jailbreak and unlock process.

As far as I know there’s no way to know the phone in unlocked except to try SIMS from multiple carriers.
    09-12-2014 12:32 PM
    As far as I know there’s no way to know the phone in unlocked except to try SIMS from multiple carriers.
    When I unlocked my 4S prior to selling it, Verizon told me it was unlocked, and per instructions, restored the iOS via iTunes...and during that process, there was an on screen (iTunes) message telling me the 4S was unlocked...
    09-12-2014 12:41 PM
    When I unlocked my 4S prior to selling it, Verizon told me it was unlocked, and per instructions, restored the iOS via iTunes...and during that process, there was an on screen (iTunes) message telling me the 4S was unlocked...
    True. Forgot about that. Still, to the OP's question, there’s no issue with voiding the warranty.
    09-12-2014 12:42 PM
    ATT is telling me that you can only unlock the device when the contract is fulfilled, that even buying a new device outright doesn't mean you can unlock it, the only way to do that is to do an upgrade.
    09-12-2014 04:42 PM
    True. Forgot about that. Still, to the OP's question, theres no issue with voiding the warranty.
    I may have to contact Apple support and ask about that just in case. If there really is no penalty in getting a 3rd party to unlock it then I'll do that with my 5s.

09-13-2014 12:42 PM
    AT&T wouldn't unlock my iphone because I've ordered the 6. They now say I have to wait 14 days because they now have a "buyers remorse" stipulation. So annoying because my contract ended and I wanna sell this 5s for the most I can possibly get.

In this day in age I don't understand why I should have to jump through so many hoops to unlock my phone.
    09-15-2014 12:04 AM
    AT&T as long account is in good standing.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    09-15-2014 05:56 AM