Heya!

Wasn't sure where to go with this post, but it turned out to be a bit of a review I think.
    I thought I had some questions about the iPhone but I forgot.

I'm new here (can you tell?) with a fresh golden eye, err, iPhone..
    A few days ago my girlfriend bought me a 5s, which is my first iOS device since the iPhone 2 (I think, the first that was available in my country).

Over the years I gotten used to Android phones, like the Nexus and Galaxy's, so I was a bit hesitant about the iPhone 5s at first.
    On one hand because of the size (have a Note 3), and on the other because the specs seemed somewhat low-end for a modern phone.
    Turns out I was wrong on both.

Nothing new for you guys I'm sure, but there's the sense of quality about everything that comes out of the box.
    The design, while simple, is beautiful and despite the "low" resolution, the screen looks good.
    It helps that the interface is elegant, from setting up at first startup to the settings and included apps.
    Heck, even Google's apps seem neater on the iPhone.

The TouchID instantly became my favorite feature.
    I grab my phone a lot (barely half the time I actually have a reason to, but hey) and not having to input a code everytime is simply gold.
    There's no way I would go without a security lock, and I never really found a use for setitngs such as only requiring an unlock code outside of your house, or after a certain amount of time.

It's not that everyone and their mother wants to browse my pictures (not that I would blame them) but it feels better if your phone is decently secured, at least for daily use.
    So far TouchID works fast and without error, I wasn't expecting that.

I do kinda miss the 'back' button next to the home button, but I'm already getting used to the swipe-from-left gesture.
    It's just a bummer when you switch to another app through a link, then having to double-tap the home button to switch back, especially with iOS being so impressively fast.
    Still, switching between apps feels faster than it did on my Note 3 (when not using Android's 'back' button) so it's still a win to me.

Battery life is good so far as well. I thought the Note 3 would eat the 5s for breakfast with this, but then I did have some odd battery drain issues with the Note 3. Wasn't my first Android with battery drain problems.
    Of course, these may pop up with the iPhone over time as well, once I get more apps, but so far it's solid enough for my daily use.

But, sadly, there are a few minor annoyances I have.

iTunes doesn't really bother me in itself. it does what it needs to do and my PC is organized neatly so adding music, books and photos to the library was done in a jiffy.

However, I'm not sure if it's something iTunes does or if it's the iPhone 5s, but every now and then there's a little hickup when playing music.
    It happens maybe once every three songs and even then just once or twice, and maybe it's expected from lowering the audio quality (which I think iTunes does, before syncing?).
    But along with the somewhat unimpressive speaker it is a bit of a downer.

Then there's the homescreen.
    I don't mind the lack of widgets, seeing as the Weather (or other) apps open near instantly, but the way apps are arranged isn't very hot.
    On my Note 3, I had a very simple 'custom' homescreen with some unclickable data in the top-left (weather, upcoming calendar stuff), and 4 app folders in the bottom right, in a square.

This way I always had the apps I used most right under my thumb for quick access.
    It also kept my screen clear for my wallpaper, whereas on the iPhone any wallpaper with centered content (person or object) is covered by apps.
    Maybe iOS8 will let you move apps freely over the homescreen? That would be all I need.

Finally, the only real gripe I have, is the WiFi reception.
    There's some interference in my house that knocks WiFi off on most devices when in the bathroom, where only the Note 3 managed to keep a usable connection. Before that I had a Galaxy S4 and Xperia Z1 (or something), both of which also dropped WiFi like the 5s does.

However, the 5s also drops WiFi in my bedroom occasionally, where everything else keeps a steady connection.
    Oddly enough there's good 4G coverage so there's no major loss, but I do have to keep an eye on my data limit.

Bottom line, I'm really impressed with the iPhone 5s.
    One should never look a gift horse in the mouth, of course, but I'm glad it actually turned out to be a very good horse.
    The size is mostly fine (webbrowsing and TV shows on the Note 3 spoiled me though), the quality of hardware and software is superb and it doesn't just "do everything a phone should", it does so very well.

Now I just have to find some apps to clutter my phone with.
    Assuming anyone read this far, do you guys have some apps you like enough to name your firstborn after - or, you know, recommend to a new iPhone user?

Stay safe,

LBBowie
    AlexJ92 likes this.
    09-06-2014 07:52 AM
    Welcome to iMore and welcome back to Apple......ENJOY
    09-06-2014 08:24 AM
    Welcome to iMore and thanks for introducing yourself. Enjoy your weekend...
    09-06-2014 08:25 AM
    Welcome to IMore

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    09-06-2014 08:47 AM
    Welcome aboard.
    09-06-2014 08:48 AM
    Welcome to the iWorld!
    09-06-2014 08:51 AM
    Welcome!
    1Password for a passwords manager
    Tapatalk for forums
    Reeder for RSS feeds
    AlienBlue for Reddit
    09-06-2014 09:04 AM
    Thanks everyone.

I'll be checking Reeder and AlienBlue out, thanks!
    Have seen that TapaTalk thing popping up when browsing, maybe I should actually try it once .
    09-06-2014 09:15 AM
    There are lots of other posts where people list recommended apps as well.
    09-06-2014 09:16 AM
    Welcome to iMore and thanks for taking the time to review your device. It's great to hear the 'dark side' is working for you!
    09-06-2014 09:42 AM
    Welcome back to iOS!
    09-07-2014 12:26 AM
    Welcome to iMore! The iPhone is a different experience from Android....each has something that makes is great.

I prefer iOS but I do love Android too.
    09-07-2014 11:29 AM
    Welcome to iMore and thanks for introducing yourself. A few of my favorite apps are 1Password, Tapatalk and theScore. Enjoy your 5s!
    09-07-2014 11:52 AM
    Have you tried keeping the first home screen empty? That way you get a clear page to appreciate your wallpaper then swipe left to start going through your apps. Works well for me

Posted via iMore App
    09-07-2014 12:14 PM
    Welcome to iMore! The iPhone is a different experience from Android....each has something that makes is great.

I prefer iOS but I do love Android too.
    This is true, there wouldn't be so many users on either side otherwise of course .
    New things always have that little shiny feel to them, not that I mind.

@ Paul Ellis, can't believe I didn't think of that. Good idea!

1password seems popular, I'll keep that in mind as well. I'm pretty good at memorizing passwords but for services you don't use often it might be very helpful.

Reeder and Alien Blue are quite nice btw.
    Paul Ellis1 likes this.
    09-08-2014 06:25 AM
    Welcome to imore!!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-09-2014 09:41 AM
    .... Think I'm 3 days late in replying haha!!
    09-09-2014 09:42 AM
    .... Think I'm 3 days late in replying haha!!
    Well I'm still new enough so the welcome is, eh, welcome!

Wonder what the bug Apple will have in store for us 5s users in a few hours.
    Not that I need more from the iPhone or anything, but that doesn't mean I might want it!
    09-09-2014 11:14 AM
    I don't need to upgrade to the new iphone 6/6 plus but I want to ... Apple have done it again...
    09-10-2014 06:20 AM
    I don't need to upgrade to the new iphone 6/6 plus but I want to ... Apple have done it again...
    That's what they do, isn't it?

Thankfully, they also manage to make current users not feel left out - at least in my opinion.
    Still see many people with older iPhones and they still like them.
    AlexJ92 likes this.
    09-10-2014 06:41 AM