For those who upgrade every year, how do you sell your phones?

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
As the title reads, do you use a particular site to sell them or do you use eBay or Craigslist to sell your old phones? How do you do it? I may consider doing it if I choose to get the 6.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
eBay for me. I learned that most people on CL won't pay as much as people on eBay. Keep in mind eBay charges 10% of whatever you sold your item for. I haven't used Swappa myself but they don't charge any fee's as far as I know. I may actually give Swappa a try this year when I sell my 5s.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I mostly use eBay to sell. And they way I sale my phones are based on if they are rooted/jailbroken or stock. Condition of device, accessories that I'm selling with it. Then I make and estimation somewhere $100 - 250 or so short of retail price and the price of having it on a new contract. This is what gives me a buy it now price. Now just for listing as a auction I just it buy what other sellers are selling with theirs and the condition to see what they are selling for and that's how I set me reserve price which is usually around 200.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
eBay for me. I learned that most people on CL won't pay as much as people on eBay. Keep in mind eBay charges 10% of whatever you sold your item for. I haven't used Swappa myself but they don't charge any fee's as far as I know. I may actually give Swappa a try this year when I sell my 5s.

Are the eBay fees always fixed like do they always charge 10% on whatever item you sell?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Are the eBay fees always fixed like do they always charge 10% on whatever item you sell?

Yes and then there's the final value fee which is why I don't want to use eBay anymore. The last two phones I've sold were through Swappa and I highly recommend it. The only fee you get charged is through PayPal.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes and then there's the final value fee which is why I don't want to use eBay anymore. The last two phones I've sold were through Swappa and I highly recommend it. The only fee you get charged is through PayPal.

I'm thinking of using Swappa strictly for selling phones and using eBay for selling everything else. Those final value fee's do add up.

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Here In Aussie we use Gumtree. No fees at all. I have sold everything I have put on sale. Usually I can sell my iphone for around $500:)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Kind of a side note here, but I actually plan to keep my iPhones I buy, and start an iPhone collection. Get the iPhone 2g and collect all the rest of them I buy. Then they'll be worth a lot one day :)

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Kind of a side note here, but I actually plan to keep my iPhones I buy, and start an iPhone collection. Get the iPhone 2g and collect all the rest of them I buy. Then they'll be worth a lot one day :)

I know people who've done that. At what point will you decide to sell your collection? They release a new model every year.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I know people who've done that. At what point will you decide to sell your collection? They release a new model every year.

I dunno, maybe sell off each model at a different time. Sell the 2g first, in a few years, then just sell the other models whenever I guess. I haven't put too much thought into it :)

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Swappa is great. There's a $10 sellers fee, if your device sells.

I checked out Swappa. I like the free selling but there are a lot of unsold phones listed. I feel I'd be able to sell my phone quicker in eBay but then there's the fee. Don't know what I wanna do.