Did you try taking a picture with your phone, inside the service centre and click the same picture with a technicians phone ? Does it vary? If you think Apple has mislead you, why not take a legal recourse, in the US equivalent of a consumer forum/court. Atleast this way, they may offer you a replacement or try to help you out.
    kataran and Lisa Bradley like this.
    08-01-2014 02:18 AM
    Some of the ones I attached did not show up. Again, these were taken with my I phone 4. They have been zoomed and cropped and sent off for copies. None of them are cartoonish. The first one was taken on the beach at dusk and zoomed in. And although the Zac Brown concert pictures are far from great, you can still make out his face. These were taken on the same stage as the Elton John pictures and about the same time of night and zoomed in on. These are awesome and show why I feel so disappointed in the 5S. I was expecting my picture quality to get better. Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2876.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2984.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2961.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1376.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1386.jpg
    08-01-2014 02:28 AM
    So I decided to look at the exif data of Lisa's pictures to see if I could pinpoint the problem that way.

Here are two photos that she used to show how terrible the iPhone 5S is despite her 4S having taken such awesome pictures:
    Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1406880094.718856.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1406880107.250809.jpg
    Yet the EXIF data shows both of these photos to be taken not with the 5S, but instead her iPhone 4S.

Then in her myriad of pictures uploaded to demonstrate how awesome her iPhone 4S was at taking pictures compared to her crappy 5S...
    Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1406880241.633554.jpg
    Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1406880258.043203.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1406880270.017731.jpg
    The EXIF data shows that these were actually taken with a Canon Powershot SX50.

Of the pictures uploaded that I could actually confirm came from her 5S, the average file size was 550kb. Of the pictures I could actually confirm came from her 4S, the average file size was 1.4mb. For what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Last edited by finn5975; 08-01-2014 at 04:35 AM.
    08-01-2014 04:08 AM
    @Finn - does the exif data include dates? Because if so, you can exclude any taken before mid-June as actually being from a 5S since she's only had it for 45 days.
    08-01-2014 07:09 AM
    So I decided to look at the exif data of Lisa's pictures to see if I could pinpoint the problem that way.

Here are two photos that she used to show how terrible the iPhone 5S is despite her 4S having taken such awesome pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406880094.718856.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	638.4 KB 
ID:	61959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406880107.250809.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	508.7 KB 
ID:	61960
    Yet the EXIF data shows both of these photos to be taken not with the 5S, but instead her iPhone 4S.

Then in her myriad of pictures uploaded to demonstrate how awesome her iPhone 4S was at taking pictures compared to her crappy 5S...

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406880241.633554.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	741.2 KB 
ID:	61961

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406880258.043203.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	61962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406880270.017731.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	676.6 KB 
ID:	61963

Of the pictures uploaded that I could actually confirm came from her 5S, the average file size was 550kb. Of the pictures I could actually confirm came from her 4S, the average file size was 1.4mb. For what it's worth.

Awesome work!
    08-01-2014 07:50 AM

Interesting and I don't believe she was trying to dupe our community if you snap a lot of photos there's an easy chance of forgetting which device was used but in this case she should have checked the EXIFs herself

Lisa you appear to be an intelligent but high strung person and not using your head in this problem that seems to be overwhelming you

If your i4 at 5mp are taking such wonderful photos such as the ones you posted wouldn't you believe that any company would improve on there product in future releases. It's clear as day that your 5s camera is defective and you should use your persistence that you show here at Apple and demand a replacement how ever it takes
    08-01-2014 08:06 AM
    Did you try taking a picture with your phone, inside the service centre and click the same picture with a technicians phone ? Does it vary? If you think Apple has mislead you, why not take a legal recourse, in the US equivalent of a consumer forum/court. Atleast this way, they may offer you a replacement or try to help you out.
    Great advice
    08-01-2014 08:10 AM
    Just so you'll understand where I am coming from with these 5S pictures, let me show you some awesome pictures that were taken with my I phone 4. These are pictures from all different moments. Some are cropped and some not, but, all of them are capable of being blown up and used in photo books. None of them look cartoonish or grainy when you zoom. Even the picture of my son's birthday in low light and the one of the different light fixtures in Home Depot are of awesome quality. As you can see from the Zac Brown concert, the pictures are far from perfect, but, you can make out the face and it was taken at the exact same place as the Elton John concert. It was in the same light and was majorly zoomed in on. Since these are so awesome and they were taken with the 4, I was expecting even better pictures with the 5S. I thank everyone for your responses, but, I think I am going to check into getting a Nokia. Attachment 61936 Attachment 61940Attachment 61939Attachment 61938Attachment 61937 Attachment 61941Attachment 61942Attachment 61943Attachment 61944Attachment 61945Attachment 61947
    The iPhone takes pics with the date on it? I'm asking for a friend...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums
    08-01-2014 08:52 AM
    The iPhone takes pics with the date on it? I'm asking for a friend...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums
    Those pictures with dates on them are from a Canon SX50.

There are probably apps in the AppStore that put a time stamp on photos. The default camera app does not.
    08-01-2014 09:53 AM

Oh wow...not wasting any more time with this one. Thanks for investigating.
    08-01-2014 11:55 AM
    Finn5975: You are full of it!!! All of these pictures were taken with my Iphone. Don't try and create something that is not there. If you don't like my posts, then don't read them, but don't try and say things that you do not know to me correct. Look at the Hawaii pictures taken with my 4 and compare them to the amusement park or the picture of the drummer at the ocean front and you can clearly see that there is a big difference between the picture quality of the 4 and 5. I notice you did not put any of the Hawaii pictures in your comparison. What does your exif data show you about those pictures???? Pinpoint on those.
    08-02-2014 01:19 PM
    Finn5975: You are full of it!!! All of these pictures were taken with my Iphone. Don't try and create something that is not there. If you don't like my posts, then don't read them, but don't try and say things that you do not know to me correct. Look at the Hawaii pictures taken with my 4 and compare them to the amusement park or the picture of the drummer at the ocean front and you can clearly see that there is a big difference between the picture quality of the 4 and 5. I notice you did not put any of the Hawaii pictures in your comparison. What does your exif data show you about those pictures???? Pinpoint on those.
    I looked at the exif data myself and at least 2 of the photos you claimed were from a 5S were from a 4. The others were from a 5s as stated.
    And 3 of the ones you claimed were from a 4 were from a Canon SX50.
    So you may have unintentionally posted ten in the wrong group, but they were posted as being from one camera when they were actually from a different one.
    08-02-2014 01:30 PM
    [WARN]P.U.P.P.A.H
    (Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
    Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person youre talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if youre posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
    Be a pro. Dont get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. In a nutshell, think before you post.
    Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members problem.[/WARN]
    iRy757 likes this.
    08-02-2014 01:35 PM
    Lisa, whilst I understand that you are upset, the internet is full of many different people from all walks of life and many of them will see your anger as a red rag to try to bait you. I humbly ask you to rise above that and to write in a calm manner please. Those of us with the Ambassador title are merely volunteers to iMore who have proven to the people that run the site that they can answer queries in a helpful and polite manner. None of us are being paid by iMore or Apple and none of us actually work for Apple or iMore, we are, as I said, merely volunteers.

With that in mind, please would you tone down the nature of your posts as I can say from personal experience that the vast majority of people on here will legitimately try to help someone who is pleasant to talk to. I understand that you feel you have been slighted but your position on here from the start was very confrontational and it would mean a lot to us if we could interact with you on more pleasant terms.

This post is written with a hand of friendship extended and I hope you take it in the manner in which it is intended.
    Just_Me_D, pr1nce and kataran like this.
    08-02-2014 01:36 PM
    Take your 5S to an Apple Store. Take an identical picture (same zoom, focal point, lighting, etc) with your 5S and a display model 5S. Look at the results. If they are different, show the photos to a store employee. If they look the same, then there is nothing wrong with your 5S's camera. You may still be dissatisfied, of course, but your 5S's camera will have been shown to be working correctly.

My guess though is that your 5S's camera is working fine but doesn't meet your expectations. A camera phone (or any fixed lens camera, really) is not meant to take low-light, zoomed in photos with the subject in motion especially with horrible lighting like a concert. Those are circumstances that even a consumer grade DSLR with an optical zoom would have trouble with. And then to take an already zoomed in photo and crop it even more and enlarge it to print the photo is going to show flaws. That's just the way a fixed lens camera phone is going to work.

So as I see it you have a few choices. 1) Try my suggestion to compare it to a store sample 5S to see if there is a problem with your phone. 2) Accept the limitations of camera phones. 3) Purchase a different phone.
    CDG and pr1nce like this.
    08-02-2014 01:51 PM
    Or 4. Buy a Canon.
    08-02-2014 02:54 PM
    Or 4. Buy a Canon.
    Don't you need a license
    zerog46, ritesh and Ledsteplin like this.
    08-02-2014 03:04 PM
    Lisa, whilst I understand that you are upset, the internet is full of many different people from all walks of life and many of them will see your anger as a red rag to try to bait you. I humbly ask you to rise above that and to write in a calm manner please. Those of us with the Ambassador title are merely volunteers to iMore who have proven to the people that run the site that they can answer queries in a helpful and polite manner. None of us are being paid by iMore or Apple and none of us actually work for Apple or iMore, we are, as I said, merely volunteers.

With that in mind, please would you tone down the nature of your posts as I can say from personal experience that the vast majority of people on here will legitimately try to help someone who is pleasant to talk to. I understand that you feel you have been slighted but your position on here from the start was very confrontational and it would mean a lot to us if we could interact with you on more pleasant terms.

This post is written with a hand of friendship extended and I hope you take it in the manner in which it is intended.
    Highrisedrifter, I have much respect for you and certainly hope you are not insinuating that I was trying to bait this woman in any way. I went to the EXIF data to see if it would reveal any common denominators that would demonstrate why her camera was not producing quality photos. What I found instead was evidence that certain photos she posted as examples that her 5S was poor, were actually from her 4S that she has touted throughout her posts. Then, when giving examples of how great her 4S has performed, she has pictures taken from a Canon listed!

There are a lot of people who have spent a lot of time trying to help this person out. If she cannot even present accurate information on her behalf, then it is a waste of a lot people's precious time and is worth noting as such. I am going to take the high rode and ignore her comments towards me. That is fine. But no one here has been "baiting" her. If anything, frustration has simply set in after what has seemingly become a lost cause.
    Last edited by finn5975; 08-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    kataran, swarlos and prettybones24 like this.
    08-02-2014 03:09 PM
    Highrisedrifter, I have much respect for you and certainly hope you are not insinuating that I was trying to bait this woman in any way. I went to the EXIF data to see if it would reveal any common denominators that would demonstrate why her camera was not producing quality photos. What I found instead was evidence that certain photos she posted as evidence that her 5S was poor, were actually from her 4S that she has touted though out her posts. Then, when giving examples of how great her 4S has performed, she has pictures taken from a Canon listed!

There are a lot of people who have spend a lot of time trying to help this person out. If she cannot even present accurate information on her behalf, then it is a waste of a lot people's precious time and is worth noting as such. I am going to take the high rode and ignore her comments towards me. That is fine. But no one here has been "baiting" her. If anything, frustration has simply set in after what has seemingly become a lost cause.
    No, not at all. Merely an observation about people on the wider internet seeing someone in distress and baiting them further. Schadenfreude; the shameful joy in revelling in someone else's misfortune.

In no way was it a dig at you or anyone else here at iMore as I know we are all passionate about our devices and apart from the obvious few trolls (which are usually quickly identified and removed), everyone is helpful, polite and friendly. To be honest, that is the MAIN reason i made iMore my home over and above all the other iPhone forums that exist out there.
    kataran and pr1nce like this.
    08-02-2014 03:17 PM
    Here's a picture I took on vacation down in Key West, Florida of the sunset and I had to zoom in.

Attachment 61837
    Thanks for providing my iPhone with a lovely new wallpaper. excellent photo.

kataran likes this.
    08-03-2014 01:19 AM
    Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1407074314.150653.jpg

In direct sunlight my pictures are not the best quality but otherwise I find the camera excellent

Sent from my iPhone 5S
    kataran likes this.
    08-03-2014 09:59 AM
    I totally get where Lisa is coming from...I took this picture of a little skirmish that broke out in our neighborhood yesterday and the quality is terrible. I've taken better pictures with four pieces of american cheese. Ridiculous...

08-03-2014 09:15 PM
    Pardon me, while I wipe this tear from my eye. Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1407115455.879035.jpg

08-03-2014 09:24 PM
    I totally get where Lisa is coming from...I took this picture of a little skirmish that broke out in our neighborhood yesterday and the quality is terrible. I've taken better pictures with four pieces of american cheese. Ridiculous...

http://i.imgur.com/hOtnb5d.jpg
    I'm literally loling right now...
    08-03-2014 09:24 PM
    Pardon me, while I wipe this tear from my eye.
    Wanna go steady?
    08-03-2014 09:31 PM
121 ... 2345