Hi Lisa. Just to be fair nowhere in the advertisement did Apple state that the 5s photos are good enough for printing posters or the like just to make sure that is clear

As for the iSight flash in low light it works as advertised if you had the opportunity to take any photos in pitch black condition you would see the difference in the flash compared to the i5 which I owned before getting my i5s
    lovenmybabies4 likes this.
    07-31-2014 04:10 PM
    Thanks for your input, but, I tried that before I went to the store. Verizon was very nice but they could not help me because they cannot work on the phone or check it to see if it runs properly.
    07-31-2014 04:12 PM
    And, Lisa, there are many great photo editing apps that help. Here's your concert photo edited in camera+ and ProCamera 7. Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406838546.698982.jpg
    07-31-2014 04:29 PM
    Basically digital zoom shouldn't be used. I would not use it even on a top DSLR. Digital zoom essentially acts like having a lower megapixel camera. So the 5S has an 8MP camera. A sharply focused well lit 8MP photo should be able to print a 5x7 or 8x10. If you crop the photo so that about of the photo is inside the crop, you drop down to about the equivalent of a 2MP image. A 2MP digital camera was state of the art 15+ years ago. I guarantee that if you take a 2MP image from 1999 and tried to print a 5x7, it too would look grainy and blocky. And that is with the best lighting and a still subject. Dim light and motion will just magnify the issues. A printed photo can only show details that are present and a 2MP image just doesn't have that much detail so each pixel will appear larger (blocky) depending on the print size.
    07-31-2014 04:38 PM
    KarenKcoulter: I try to edit my pictures so that I can order prints. Like make photo books or pictures for wall frames. I tried to edit them on iPhoto and then I tried to edit some in Shutterfly. I have not tried to do anything different then what I have done for years with my other I phones. I now know that you'll are not affiliated with Apple, but, some of these people act like they are because of their comments. Every piece of electronics in my home are Apple. I have an Apple desktop, that I still use, that I purchased in 2008. I have 3 Apple laptops. But, I am not happy with the 5S phone. I have spent thousands of dollars at Apple and I am very disappointed that they are telling me that I am stuck with one of their products that I believe does not work as advertised. If these people who keep blasting me for my statement that Apple falsely advertised the 5s would have been with me when I asked all the right questions to the Apple Rep, they would understand why I think they have falsely advertised this product. I asked about taking the phone to concerts, I asked about zoom and crop and was very specific about what I use the phone for and before I purchased it. I read the advertisement and watched all the videos. The employees of Apple are Apple and they assured me that the camera could take the pictures I needed. Then when I bring it back to show them the poor quality of the pictures they just kept repeating that the camera is doing exactly what it is supposed to. I have only owned it for 45 days and they have a 30 day strict return policy. I am glad that everyone else on this website has had a great experience with Apple because it sucks to feel this way. And I would rather be out enjoying my new phone and camera then stuck to my computer trying to figure out what to do with my investment.
    lovenmybabies4 and ritesh like this.
    07-31-2014 04:43 PM
    Ledsteplin: Awesome screen name by the way. Where is the edited version? The one on the screen still looks like a cartoon character. There is no clarity at all.? Certainly not a picture I would want hanging on my wall. What do I have to click to see your edited version? Thanks for your helping me.
    lovenmybabies4 likes this.
    07-31-2014 04:46 PM
    Kataran: I would be happy with a 5x7. I have taken pictures in all different lights, but they are all cartoonish looking. Thanks for your input.
    07-31-2014 04:48 PM
    Kataran: I would be happy with a 5x7. I have taken pictures in all different lights, but they are all cartoonish looking. Thanks for your input.
    I agree you should be satisfied Lisa

What's your opinion on this photo which was taken with my i5 then printed at CVS no editing applied
    07-31-2014 04:51 PM
    Ledsteplin: Awesome screen name by the way. Where is the edited version? The one on the screen still looks like a cartoon character. There is no clarity at all.? Certainly not a picture I would want hanging on my wall. What do I have to click to see your edited version? Thanks for your helping me.
    I thought it was the dark image of the drummer you didn't like. Was that zoomed? If so, that's why the clarity is missing. There's really not much you can do with zoomed photos. And don't use the sharpen option seen on many editing apps. They make it worse. You also lose resolution with screen shots. These phone cameras keep getting better. Hopefully they will soon fix the digital zoom to where those photos will have better clarity. For concerts and such, use a camera rather than a phone.
    07-31-2014 05:11 PM
    NO ONE here works for Apple. We are all just volunteers spending our free time trying to help you out.
    And I too don't think you have been a "victim" of false advertising. No one that I know takes advertising and marketing literally. If I go to buy a new frig that is advertised as keeping food fresh longer, that doesn't mean that I'm going to leave a package of fresh chicken in there for 10 days and expect it to be edible.
    Anyway, we understand that you don't like your pictures and we're trying to help. We have lots of anecdotal evidence on this forum of people who have no affiliation with Apple and think our phones take great pictures. Independent reviews from when the 5S was launched also thought it took great pictures. In some categories it scored as well as the 42MP Nokia (and other it did not where the MP made the difference).
    I, personally, think that the photos you posted looked ok, not great, for the circumstances (zoom, lighting, motion) they were taken in. Good enough to blow up and hang on a wall, probably not. But for a camera phone, I think the 5S takes great pictures. Will it replace a high end DSLR with a large aperture and an optical zoom, no. But I have no expectations that it should.
    Anyway here's my sample pic which has relatively difficult lighting circumstances with overhead inside light but also sunlight coming in thru a window.
    Attachment 61901
    And just for giggles here's a crop of the same photo.
    Attachment 61902
    The crop looks ok on my phone but I'm sure it would look grainy if I tried to print it.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    07-31-2014 05:12 PM
    Mikeo007; I have zoomed in on many of my 4S and it was crystal clear. I had a poster size zoomed in picture of my daughter and my husband which was taken with my 4 at Disney World and it was awesome. The strange thing is that I can zoom on plants with my 5S and they are great. I just can't do faces or animals. If you read their advertisement and watch their video you will understand why I say that Apple has "falsely advertising" in regards to the camera capabilities of the 5S.
    I seen virtually all of their commercials. I've never seen one where they say you can take photos in poor lighting, crop and zoom them to the extreme and expect great results.

Maybe you should just buy a Lumia. it seems pretty clear that you're not interested in hearing the truth or understanding how digital cameras actually work. I'll see you over on Windows phone central in a couple months where I expect to see the exact same complaints.
    07-31-2014 05:13 PM
    Lisa, I think you'll be seeing improvements in the near future. Apple recently hired a camera expert. I like most of my photos. Here's one I took with my iPhone 5 a couple months ago. I did crop it just a bit. Not much though. Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406841719.383724.jpg
    07-31-2014 05:22 PM
    Hi Lisa, sorry you're having such a tough time with your 5S photos. Can you think of anything you did differently with the "poster size" photo from your earlier phone? The 5S photo should indeed be better if everything else is the same.

It almost sounds as if you've been editing low-res thumbnails, screenshots, or zoomed in details cut out of much bigger pictures. Are you sure you're using the full, non-cropped, version directly from your phone, and not a low resolution version you're emailing to yourself or something like that?

Another thing: you mentioned that plants are fine. If you're taking photos of people while they're moving--even if it's just a little bit of motion--it's not going to look very good.

Finally, I noticed in a lot of your photos that you're shooting directly into bright stage lights or sun light...this will totally blow out your sensor and result in poor quality photos. If you still use Camera+ you can adjust the exposure in the app (this feature is also coming to iOS in iOS 8 this fall).

Anyway, if all else fails and you want to go back to an iPhone 4, I have one. Maybe we should trade!
    07-31-2014 05:43 PM
    Lisa, I think you'll be seeing improvements in the near future. Apple recently hired a camera expert. I like most of my photos. Here's one I took with my iPhone 5 a couple months ago. I did crop it just a bit. Not much though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406841719.383724.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	450.7 KB 
ID:	61903
    For what it's worth (and I don't mean to offend Ledsteplin) I don't think this is the best example of what the camera can do either...here is a shot I took for work (for use in a print ad) using my iPhone 5:

Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-image.jpg

I think the detail, color balance, etc are pretty good--and your phone should do even better.
    07-31-2014 05:47 PM
    For what it's worth (and I don't mean to offend Ledsteplin) I don't think this is the best example of what the camera can do either...here is a shot I took for work (for use in a print ad) using my iPhone 5:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	753.0 KB 
ID:	61904

I think the detail, color balance, etc are pretty good--and your phone should do even better.
    Any photo taken with a white background comes out great this is the reason I use it to take my eBay item photos. Led's flower photo had a lot of background disturbance with the brick wall to be very effective
    07-31-2014 06:14 PM
    I just went and watched the iSight camera video advertisement on Apple.com. Not surprisingly, they make some very impressive claims of the camera and back up those claims but providing a myriad of perfect looking shots. I would watch that video, and at face value, I would think I was getting one of the greatest cameras ever to be made.

However, I know from life never to just stop at face value. Number one, they are trying to sell me something. So, everything is going to look fantastic. They don't tell you if they took 20 photos of that mountain or sunset before finally getting the perfect shot. They don't tell you if they are using a tripod, if they are adjusting the angle 14 times to get the right amount of light, etc. The images they show are images of still objects. They are in perfect lighting. They are not giving you examples of photos taken at a concert, inside a dark kitchen, of a running dog, a quick moving kitten, etc. None of the pictures they show you are cropped or zoomed...not one! They are giving you controlled examples in perfect conditions to demonstrate what the camera 'can indeed do' if you do so in the same way.

Even in the photo they show of the group at dinner in low light, you can tell that some of the folks are 'fuzzy'. The photos where they use the two-tone flash are of subject matter close to the camera, not far away because they realize the flash will only work to a certain distance. A consumer has to use a bit of common sense when researching a product. A consumer needs to know that only the best selling points will be used in a video designed to sell you the product. It doesn't mean the camera on the iPhone cannot do all of the things they show and claim....but it doesn't mean there weren't extremely controlled conditions in arriving at the examples they showed either.
    07-31-2014 06:36 PM
    Any photo taken with a white background comes out great this is the reason I use it to take my eBay item photos. Led's flower photo had a lot of background disturbance with the brick wall to be very effective
    I was actually looking more at the focus in that shotsince the main subject is out of focus and the background is in focus, it seemed like it might not show the OP how good the camera can be.
    kataran likes this.
    07-31-2014 06:44 PM
    To finn5975: The Apple commercials advertise the phone as a point and shoot camera. These are just a few parts of their advertisement: What makes the iSight camera so remarkable is how beautiful photos look without your having to do anything at all. Just aim and shoot. Thats it... All because of the advanced technologies custom designed for the cameras hardware and software." and they also advertise "The new iSight camera on iPhone*5s builds on the iPhone*5 camera in ways that make a real difference to your photos. It captures beautiful images at 8 megapixels. What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger pixels." According to you, the phone has a tiny sensor and weak LED Flash. The video advertisement states that the 5S has a white and amber flash which allows beautiful pictures in any light. So, excuse me for expecting what was promised. If you go and look up their advertisement and watch Apple's video advertisement of the 5S you will understand my expectations. I wasn't expecting anything that was not marketed by Apple. I have taken pictures in many different lights and none of them are capable of being used for albums which makes me get "bent out of shape", as you say. Furthermore, the Apple Store is not a doctor's office. And it is a bit of a stretch that you are trying to compare the two. People go to the doctor because they require the attention of ONE person who has gone to school for over a decade. You would expect to make an appointment when there are hundreds of people who need one particular person. We go to the doctor for our health and sometimes to save our life so waiting for the doctor for even an hour is frustrating, but easier to understand because their is only one of them. We also need to make appointments because we need the privacy of our own room. However, the Apple Store, has an average of 100 people working in the store and the employees have a few weeks to a few months of training and they sell products that are mass produced. They are really not comparable. What if we had to make an appointment to shop at Macy's or Target? I have gone to the Apple Store about a dozen times and received bad customer service on at least 10 out of the 12 appointments. To say that I am bent out of shape, is a bit of a stretch. And I have seen the pictures that people have posted on this forum and they do not compare to the quality of pictures advertised by Apple. The 5S advertises that it captures 8 megapixels, which should be plenty big enough to zoom in and blow up to poster size without being grainy. There are many pictures posted that would not be capable of being blown up which shows me that this is a 5S problem and not a photographer issue which means that the 5S does not do what it is suppose to do as far as the camera is concerned.
    Can't say the 5s doesn't produce as advertised if the vast majority of devices are working just fine. It seems that everyone that has commented here is fine with their phone's camera output.

I agree that your pics are poor but that means: 1) there IS a problem with your phone and/or 2) you're zooming too much.

Since the people here aren't there with you, there is only so much help they can provide. You can't make someone believe Apple presents false advertising when their phones work perfectly.

Looks like you've already decided to move to the Nokia. I hope it meets your needs. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums
    07-31-2014 07:45 PM
    The drummer face is so distorted. This picture was originally not zoomed in on. I tried to edit it in the Iphoto app and wanted to have it blown up for my daughter. I took at least 25 pictures on this particular day and unfortunately none of them are usable. Thanks for your help.
    08-01-2014 12:33 AM
    Well like I said, I told the Apple Rep what my photo needs would be and he assured me it would zoom and crop and take concert pictures just fine. If you can't depend on their "experts" then the product is of no value. I went and asked a Verizon rep if they had a phone that could take good low light shots and zoom on video and they were honest in telling me no. Honesty was all I was interested in. I am sadly disappointed and now know that I am going to have to purchase a Nokia. Thanks for your help.
    08-01-2014 12:43 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	753.0 KB 
ID:	61904

She never commented on the rose photo. She referred to her own photo I tried to enhance.
    08-01-2014 01:27 AM
    The only thing I did differently on the poster size picture was that I used my 4.
    08-01-2014 01:27 AM
    Just so you'll understand where I am coming from with these 5S pictures, let me show you some awesome pictures that were taken with my I phone 4. These are pictures from all different moments. Some are cropped and some not, but, all of them are capable of being blown up and used in photo books. None of them look cartoonish or grainy when you zoom. Even the picture of my son's birthday in low light and the one of the different light fixtures in Home Depot are of awesome quality. As you can see from the Zac Brown concert, the pictures are far from perfect, but, you can make out the face and it was taken at the exact same place as the Elton John concert. It was in the same light and was majorly zoomed in on. Since these are so awesome and they were taken with the 4, I was expecting even better pictures with the 5S. I thank everyone for your responses, but, I think I am going to check into getting a Nokia. Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1245.jpg Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1847.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1821.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1608.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1399.jpg Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1517.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_1964.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2514.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2523.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_3002.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2755.jpg
    08-01-2014 02:05 AM
    KarenK: I would be really happy with this picture. I think printing it would be fine. Thanks for sharing. Love It!
    08-01-2014 02:11 AM
    Ledsteplin: Check out my nature pictures I took with my 4. This is why I feel disappointed with the 5S.
    Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2976.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_2961.jpg
    08-01-2014 02:17 AM
121 12345