Sure. Just tell me what to do? I can assure you that all I want is a decent phone. I hate the fact that every picture I take completely disappoints me. Just tell me how I need to restore it and I will do it tonight. Thanks for your help.
    07-30-2014 05:50 PM
    Do you seriously think these are good pictures? I mean you can't zoom in on those? And look at all the washed out face on the first one? OMG, this just made me realize that I am stuck with this phone. It has nothing to do with the settings or anything else. Do you have some pictures of people in the bright sunlight? Can you zoom in or blow up any people pictures? I am feeling sick to my stomach because I cannot not afford a different phone. My 4G pictures were better.
    07-30-2014 05:55 PM
    You will be restoring your phone as new on iTunes on a computer. So do a backup on iTunes before anything.

iTunes: About iOS backups

Follow the instructions here.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

Note: Once your phone is finished restoring DO NOT restore the backup you just made. You will instead set up as new.
    Just_Me_D and Lisa Bradley like this.
    07-30-2014 05:57 PM
    BTW all Ambassadors and Moderators are volunteers and have no affiliation with Apple other than that we own at least one of their products (some of us have multiple devices with different OSs, form factors, etc) and like trying to help people.

So when we are saying that we have never had a bad customer service experience with Apple or that our phones take wonderful pictures, we are not doubting your experiences but just telling you our own experiences and trying to figure out why yours is different and how we could possibly help you change that.

That being said are when you say that you can't even get a 3x5 size without it looking awful, are you referring to viewing it at a 3x5 size on your PC or Mac, printing it out on a home printer at that size or getting it printed at a store/online service at that size? That could make a difference in recommendations your get from folks because there are different variables depending on your answer.
    For myself I don't ever use digital zoom (not even on a "real" digital camera) but I take plenty of pics of my kids and pets and I think they come out fine but I also only look at them on my phone or my MacBook. I haven't made photo prints in about 15 years. So if your issue is printing as a 3x5, I won't be much help. But I can still try to ask questions that may help others help you.

TLDR. We are all just volunteers trying to help. No affiliation with Apple.
    07-30-2014 06:10 PM
    And I'm sorry that you only have 1 Apple Store within 120 miles, but Apple is only going to establish stores where it makes financial sense to do so.
    Maybe try calling customer support (I believe every iPhone comes with 90 days of free phone support) rather than going to the store. Maybe you'll get a better CSR who can help you.
    07-30-2014 06:15 PM
    No smartphone is going to take good pictures at concerts period. If you want good pictures than invest in an actual camera with optical zoom.
    And for the record:
    Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406759337.859716.jpg
    I think for a smartphone the 5S takes great pictures compared to other phones.
    07-30-2014 06:30 PM
    Zooming with a fixed lens camera (pretty much all camera phones) is completely pointless. All you're doing by zooming is cropping and enlarging the image. The majority of yours are zoomed, which is always going to produce a poor result. If you zoom in even 2x, you're drastically reducing the actual number of pixels in your image, making for a poorer image.

Here's what you're basically doing when you zoom with your camera phone:

Plus, your lighting conditions in these pictures are terrible. I'd recommend you just buy a digital camera. You'll get tons more mileage out of it if you expect to take photos in poor conditions.
    07-30-2014 06:37 PM
    What about the other pictures I posted? And why shouldn't I be able to zoom in? And I had tried to not zoom at all, Auto Focus, flash and no flash and they are all terrible. But, I have posted enough pictures from all different zooms and lights and none of them are capable of being blown up to even a 3x5. And what do you mean the person taking the photo is a big factor??? Obviously, I took the picture and according to Apple's advertisement "It just makes more sense to teach iPhone how to take a great picture rather than teach people how to be expert photographers". And they also advertise that they have a built in stabilizer and that the "iPhone knows the best setting to use and how intense the flash should be, and it automatically recognizes faces in the frame.
    As far as Apple's customer service I would have to say that I don't anyone who appreciates the fact that there is only 1 Apple store within a 120 mile radius. I also don't know who would consider good customer service a store that requires people to schedule an appointment. And its not like my time means anything to them because I got there on time but still waited 25 minutes to get a representative. And then the Rep took my phone in the back and on his way back he stopped and helped another customer for a good 6 minutes. Then he comes back and tells me that everything on my phone looks great. Initially when he looked at the pictures he looked surprised and said something along the line like "yeah, that's definitely not normal", and then he comes from the back and tells me there is nothing wrong?? And because he didn't find anything wrong, and because I have owned the phone for 6 weeks, I am basically stuck with it. So, I asked for a manager. I was initially told that the manager was assisting another customer and would be with me momentarily. After 30 minutes, I asked again and was told he was on the phone. My appointment was at 7:50 pm and I finally got to speak to the manager at around 9:20pm. The mall and the store closed at 9pm. I did not leave until 10:15 or so. I did not have any plans of spending 2 and half hours sitting on a hard stool in the mall, only to be given the run around by 3 different Apple Reps. My time is valuable, but, apparently, they don't think so. And this latest experience was not an exception to the normal customer service I have received in the past. Over the years, I put up with it because I loved their products, but I no longer feel that way.
    First off, it would be extremely helpful if you could quote the person you are directly responding to. Not doing so can make it difficult and confusing when trying to help you. Secondly, as you zoom in on the camera function, from within the camera app, and the lighting conditions are not ideal, you are merely increasing the opportunity for graininess in the picture. This is not optical zoom. This is digital. It is the same as taking a normal picture and then cropping it. You are merely increasing the pixels. Again, if the conditions are poor to begin with, zooming will only make it worse. This is a PHONE camera with a SMALL sensor. This is not a point and shoot cannon. This is not a DSLR. Let's be very clear on what the capabilities of this and other camera phones are. Just because it is convenient to have on your phone and to have with you all the time doesn't mean it should be your go-to camera for every photo taking opportunity you encounter! As for the the customer service you received from Apple being poor...yes, that sucks. But, you make appointments in order to try and have the best opportunity to be dealt with on a timely basis. To say that scheduling appointments is a sign of poor customer service seems a bit far-fetched. That is like saying, who would consider good patient care, a doctor's office that requires you to schedule appointments. And even with the doctor office scheduling appointments, if I had a dollar every time I had to sit and wait for my appointment due to unforeseen circumstances I wouldn't need insurance. It happens. It happened to you at Apple. It will happen to someone else whether it be Apple, Target, or Dr. Smith's office.

Do you seriously think these are good pictures? I mean you can't zoom in on those? And look at all the washed out face on the first one? OMG, this just made me realize that I am stuck with this phone. It has nothing to do with the settings or anything else. Do you have some pictures of people in the bright sunlight? Can you zoom in or blow up any people pictures? I am feeling sick to my stomach because I cannot not afford a different phone. My 4G pictures were better.
    Yes, your pictures are not very good. That is clear to see. But, you CAN zoom in or blow up the pictures I and others have shown you because yes, the iPhone 5S IS capable of taking excellent pictures. I keep going back to this because you are getting very bent out of shape as if Apple scammed you into believing they sold you a product that cannot deliver on its promises. It can. We have shown you. So, if a restore does not help, then call customer service and demand a new one! It is not the iPhone 5S in general that is the problem. It is partly your uniques device and I suspect partly your unrealistic expectations of a camera phone with a tiny sensor and weak LED flash.
    Last edited by finn5975; 07-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    kataran and Just_Me_D like this.
    07-30-2014 06:53 PM
    Lisa we don't want you to feel like you made the wrong choice when you purchased your 5s so I'm attaching a Camera Shootout our site did a while back to help your purchase anxiety

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-vs-sa...amera-shootout
    iPhone 5s vs. Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One M8: Camera shootout! via @iMore
    Just_Me_D and Lisa Bradley like this.
    07-30-2014 07:27 PM
    According to me, the kind of low-light photographs you are expecting can be delivered only by a digital camera or the high end phones of the Nokia Lumia series like Lumia 1020, 1520, icon, 925 etc...
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-30-2014 07:42 PM
    Just 1 doubt....Have you taken off the plastic sheet/transparent film, on the back, that the phone comes with. That covers the camera lense. Your pictures indeed look dull.
    kataran likes this.
    07-31-2014 06:41 AM
    Broad daylight at the beach. I have others that I took that were not zoomed and some with flash and some AF, but, all the same. I believe I took this one without the zoom and this is what I got when I went back to edit it. I cropped and zoomed so I could get a 5X7 for the wall, but, this is what happens on every picture. I have posted some pictures on other threads on this page. Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it.
    07-31-2014 11:56 AM
    Yes, there is no clear paper on the back. The phone takes nice pictures of objects and plants, but, people or animals become distorted or washed out when I try to zoom on them. And it doesn't matter if I zoom before taking it or after I took it, its all the same. Thanks for your time in trying to help me.
    07-31-2014 12:09 PM
    Have you tried taking pictures with a third party photo app rather than the stock one?
    07-31-2014 12:18 PM
    And I'm sorry that you only have 1 Apple Store within 120 miles, but Apple is only going to establish stores where it makes financial sense to do so.
    Maybe try calling customer support (I believe every iPhone comes with 90 days of free phone support) rather than going to the store. Maybe you'll get a better CSR who can help you.
    I don't know about other carriers, but if you call Verizon customer service, and they can't help, they will put you through to Apple Support for free. Other carriers may do the same.
    07-31-2014 01:17 PM
    Hi Lisa

Reading through your post there is one thing that Mike said that I would like to illustrate.

Take a look at what happens when a picture is taken close by in good outside light with a still subject:

Here is one taken same day same location same lighting:

Zooming in causes pictures to pixelate. Adding low lighting or movement makes it more difficult to get great results.

I just wanted to give you that illustration. I don't zoom in and then crop. If I has zoomed in on Max the results would have been horrible.

I don't zoom and crop.

I'm very happy with the results when I don't, even if one if my subjects is moving and is blurry.

07-31-2014 01:25 PM
    Not all the pictures are in low light. I have pictures at the beach and amusement park and some during the early evening at dusk and they are still really bad. Thanks for your input, I think I am going to have to switch to the Nokia. I am just sad to have to do that because I have already invested so much money in Apps, I tunes and the phone and accessories. I have attached some of the bright light photos to some other threads. Here is an example. Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_3797.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_4147.jpgTerrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"-img_3381.jpg
    07-31-2014 01:26 PM
    What a cute picture. Does it get grainy when you try to zoom in? I have tried to take a picture with an App called Camera+, but, unfortunately they have the same problem. When I take photos I like to see the clarity of the faces and I would like to have 3X5 or 5X7's made, but, the minute I zoom in everybody becomes extremely grainy. I have spent countless hours trying to edit out the graininess on several different editing app's, but, I just can't fix them. I normally send them to Shutterfly or similar places to have family books made, but, right now I have to take along an additional camera to get good pictures. I can never remember to bring the big camera because I am so used to depending on my phone for pictures and you never know when the perfect picture opportunity will become available. Like the picture you have attached. Besides, who wants to carry a phone everywhere they want to go? Thanks for sharing your thoughts and awesome memory.
    07-31-2014 01:42 PM
    Ok understanding that I'm viewing on a phone, the group pic looks great. The middle one has harsh stage light washing her out but the colours on the foreground are great. The last pic might have been zoomed also?
    Yah the Lumia phones have insane cameras with incredible lenses. Carl Zeiss?!?! SERIOUSLY?!?? I'm thinking of getting one because I'm a phone geek. But I have to say I love the camera on my 5s.
    I hope you find a solution that suits you well.
    lovenmybabies4 likes this.
    07-31-2014 01:44 PM
    What a cute picture. Does it get grainy when you try to zoom in? I have tried to take a picture with an App called Camera+, but, unfortunately they have the same problem. When I take photos I like to see the clarity of the faces and I would like to have 3X5 or 5X7's made, but, the minute I zoom in everybody becomes extremely grainy. I have spent countless hours trying to edit out the graininess on several different editing app's, but, I just can't fix them. I normally send them to Shutterfly or similar places to have family books made, but, right now I have to take along an additional camera to get good pictures. I can never remember to bring the big camera because I am so used to depending on my phone for pictures and you never know when the perfect picture opportunity will become available. Like the picture you have attached. Besides, who wants to carry a phone everywhere they want to go? Thanks for sharing your thoughts and awesome memory.
    Thank you! My Max and his partners in crime give me loads of opportunity for pics.

Zooming in does cause grain and noise to appear. So zooming and cropping amplify the graininess and noise that you see in my pics. If I have to take a pic of something far away I make a choice, one or the other. I generally take the pic them crop and hold my breath, hoping it comes out.

Here is an example of zooming in from too far away.

I didn't crop if I remember correctly. I should have taken in my tiny point and shoot but I forgot.

You can only do a certain amount of zooming before the quality suffers, as in the attached pic.
    07-31-2014 01:52 PM
    Cute Dogs! Thank you for sharing. I have tried to not zoom while taking the photo. I have tried AF and everything else. Once my pictures are taken I should be able to have clear pictures that I can zoom in on. It a simple request and I have taken over 1000 pictures with my 4G and had no issues. I don't understand why the people are blurry in your picture? Even if his arm were moving, the face should still be clear. And what about the pretty lady who is standing still in the background? Although she is not blurry, she is not super clear either. If you read the advertisement for 5S and you watch the video of what the phone is supposed to do, it doesn't match to the photos we are getting. I need pictures that I can zoom and crop and I made that perfectly clear to the Apple Reps when I purchased the phone and they assured me I could use it for those purposes. I am glad you are happy with your photos. Thanks for your input.
    07-31-2014 02:10 PM
    Cute Dogs! Thank you for sharing. I have tried to not zoom while taking the photo. I have tried AF and everything else. Once my pictures are taken I should be able to have clear pictures that I can zoom in on. It a simple request and I have taken over 1000 pictures with my 4G and had no issues. I don't understand why the people are blurry in your picture? Even if his arm were moving, the face should still be clear. And what about the pretty lady who is standing still in the background? Although she is not blurry, she is not super clear either. If you read the advertisement for 5S and you watch the video of what the phone is supposed to do, it doesn't match to the photos we are getting. I need pictures that I can zoom and crop and I made that perfectly clear to the Apple Reps when I purchased the phone and they assured me I could use it for those purposes. I am glad you are happy with your photos. Thanks for your input.
    No,that's not how it works unfortunately. Zooming while you take the picture, or after you take the picture will achieve the exact same results. Your camera can only capture a specific amount of detail. Zooming in reduces the level of detail since there are now less pixels to work with. Take another look at my example above with the flower. The exact same thing happens when you zoom after taking the picture.

This will happen no matter what phone or camera you use. Even a top of the line digital SLR camera would allow you to zoom in on the pictures after you take them and maintain detail. I feel like you're still missing this point and claiming "false advertising" when it's behaving exactly like any other camera phone would in the same circumstances.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 07-31-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    anon4757448 likes this.
    07-31-2014 02:31 PM
    To finn5975: The Apple commercials advertise the phone as a point and shoot camera. These are just a few parts of their advertisement: “What makes the iSight camera so remarkable is how beautiful photos look without your having to do anything at all. Just aim and shoot. That’s it... All because of the advanced technologies custom designed for the camera’s hardware and software." and they also advertise "The new iSight camera on iPhone*5s builds on the iPhone*5 camera in ways that make a real difference to your photos. It captures beautiful images at 8 megapixels. What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger pixels." According to you, the phone has a tiny sensor and weak LED Flash. The video advertisement states that the 5S has a white and amber flash which allows beautiful pictures in any light. So, excuse me for expecting what was promised. If you go and look up their advertisement and watch Apple's video advertisement of the 5S you will understand my expectations. I wasn't expecting anything that was not marketed by Apple. I have taken pictures in many different lights and none of them are capable of being used for albums which makes me get "bent out of shape", as you say. Furthermore, the Apple Store is not a doctor's office. And it is a bit of a stretch that you are trying to compare the two. People go to the doctor because they require the attention of ONE person who has gone to school for over a decade. You would expect to make an appointment when there are hundreds of people who need one particular person. We go to the doctor for our health and sometimes to save our life so waiting for the doctor for even an hour is frustrating, but easier to understand because their is only one of them. We also need to make appointments because we need the privacy of our own room. However, the Apple Store, has an average of 100 people working in the store and the employees have a few weeks to a few months of training and they sell products that are mass produced. They are really not comparable. What if we had to make an appointment to shop at Macy's or Target? I have gone to the Apple Store about a dozen times and received bad customer service on at least 10 out of the 12 appointments. To say that I am bent out of shape, is a bit of a stretch. And I have seen the pictures that people have posted on this forum and they do not compare to the quality of pictures advertised by Apple. The 5S advertises that it captures 8 megapixels, which should be plenty big enough to zoom in and blow up to poster size without being grainy. There are many pictures posted that would not be capable of being blown up which shows me that this is a 5S problem and not a photographer issue which means that the 5S does not do what it is suppose to do as far as the camera is concerned.
    07-31-2014 03:52 PM
    Mikeo007; I have zoomed in on many of my 4S and it was crystal clear. I had a poster size zoomed in picture of my daughter and my husband which was taken with my 4 at Disney World and it was awesome. The strange thing is that I can zoom on plants with my 5S and they are great. I just can't do faces or animals. If you read their advertisement and watch their video you will understand why I say that Apple has "falsely advertising" in regards to the camera capabilities of the 5S.
    07-31-2014 04:04 PM
    acerace113: They are not just concert pictures. There are other ones I posted in other threads that are in the daylight and dusk. Is that a mountain in the back? Thanks for sharing.
    07-31-2014 04:08 PM
121 1234 ...