Lifeproof vs. Otterbox

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone notice when you remove the screen protector on the otterbox it's not as solid and has some movement?

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever tried taking pictures after the device has been fully submerged in water or has been exposed to water on the level of this next picture? That is what I'm basing my picture taking issues on and was the only reason I bought it...it takes fine pictures when it's dry in the case, but I guess I just didn't see the point of the Lifeproof case if it couldn't maintain function under conditions it said it was designed for...

http://i.imgur.com/WHqL5Hr.jpg

...after that happened, the best pictures I could get out of it were like this...

http://i.imgur.com/XQXIRAC.jpg?1

...and for reference, here was a picture taken just before when it was still some what dry...

http://i.imgur.com/WF5THO2.jpg?1

I don't see too much of an issue there. Although there's always room for improvement. I'll post some pictures next time I take a trip underwater.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Otterbox owns FRE.

I use an Otterbox Preserver now, and have used Defenders previously. I like the Preserver, but people have trouble hearing me if i try to talk on the phone without opening the portals on the bottom of the phone. This issue seemingly has gotten worse over time. I understand this to be an issue on most waterproof cases, and i particular, with FRE cases. So I keep the bottom of the case when I am talking. I also can't use non-oem lightening cables with fat plugs.

The bottom of the Front of my case is getting a bit worn from using my thumbnail to open the portal over the charger plug. Otterbox offered to replace it under warranty, but i didn't think this a real warranty issue (i had called support about outgoing voice call quality)

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Otterbox owns FRE.

I use an Otterbox Preserver now, and have used Defenders previously. I like the Preserver, but people have trouble hearing me if i try to talk on the phone without opening the portals on the bottom of the phone. This issue seemingly has gotten worse over time. I understand this to be an issue on most waterproof cases, and i particular, with FRE cases. So I keep the bottom of the case when I am talking. I also can't use non-oem lightening cables with fat plugs.

The bottom of the Front of my case is getting a bit worn from using my thumbnail to open the portal over the charger plug. Otterbox offered to replace it under warranty, but i didn't think this a real warranty issue (i had called support about outgoing voice call quality)

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

I couldn't agree with the complaints on the Fre in this post anymore.

Jude3435

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Otterbox Preserver. Better screen protector than Lifeproof.

Sent from my iOS device using iMore Forums

Yes! I recently upgraded to this as well and love it. I returned a lifeproof because I hated the muffled sound and the removable plugs

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't see too much of an issue there. Although there's always room for improvement. I'll post some pictures next time I take a trip underwater.

You don't see too much of an issue with major fogging in the picture quality? I mean I guess if you just don't really care if the pictures come out terribly after the case gets wet then I suppose I understand your sentiment, but to me, that's unacceptable for a case that is supposed to be water proof...it proves that while it keeps the phone safe, it's not really water PROOF, because that haze is caused by moisture (water) in the case.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you 3 feel that way. Both cases offer features not available naked.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you 3 feel that way. Both cases offer features not available naked.

Sure they offer features that you can't get with regular cases or naked, but there are sacrifices that are made as well. Then it becomes an issue of how much you really need a case like the Otterbox or LifeProof. I drop my phone every once in a while. The Spigen case I have on it has protected my iPhone every time. I really don't have a need to use my phone when I'm in water. I rarely swim and if I do, I'm not really interested in using my phone while doing so. I don't even use a screen protector because I have really never needed to. So until I break a screen or severely scratch a screen, a protector is unnecessary. Actually, I have never broken a phone. And not that I'm overly careful with my devices, I mean I don't throw them around or anything, but I wouldn't say I'm crazy about it. I usually just get a simple case that looks good that covers the back and sides and that seems to be good enough.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Sure they offer features that you can't get with regular cases or naked, but there are sacrifices that are made as well. Then it becomes an issue of how much you really need a case like the Otterbox or LifeProof. I drop my phone every once in a while. The Spigen case I have on it has protected my iPhone every time. I really don't have a need to use my phone when I'm in water. I rarely swim and if I do, I'm not really interested in using my phone while doing so. I don't even use a screen protector because I have really never needed to. So until I break a screen or severely scratch a screen, a protector is unnecessary. Actually, I have never broken a phone. And not that I'm overly careful with my devices, I mean I don't throw them around or anything, but I wouldn't say I'm crazy about it. I usually just get a simple case that looks good that covers the back and sides and that seems to be good enough.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

Very true. I had a Fre on for about 8 months before I realized this. I finally realized that I never really took it around water, and when I did, like at a pool, I was still extra careful with it. Now I'm rocking a CandyShell with a matte screen protector and I'm loving it. Don't have to worry about flash issues, screen glare, or sound issues. It feels good to use the phone the way it was meant to be used (although I suppose that would be going completely naked). I'm not saying that waterproof cases are bad by any means. They helped keep my iPhone safe from water and dust. I just never really found myself in situations where that would be a problem. But for some people, waterproof cases are an absolute must.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have the Lifeproof Nuud for my 5S and just bought the Otterbox Preserver. Amazon had the Preserver on their one day sale for 29.99.

Oddly enough, even with the built in screen protector, I find the Preserver much better than the Nuud. It feels much more solid, better quality and the sound is much less muffled and more clear. I may have found my new permanent case here.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the Lifeproof Nuud for my 5S and just bought the Otterbox Preserver. Amazon had the Preserver on their one day sale for 29.99.

Oddly enough, even with the built in screen protector, I find the Preserver much better than the Nuud. It feels much more solid, better quality and the sound is much less muffled and more clear. I may have found my new permanent case here.

It was hard for me to not take the plunge on the Preserver case from Amazon

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Just bought it for $40 on Amazon. Basically going back on my previous post haha. But for that cheap, how could you not?? Looks much better than LifeProof.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This is such a weird response. Do you have some deeper connection to Lifeproof or something? It's almost like it hurts you personally when people don't praise the thing, lol!

I apologize? I don't understand what's wrong with that, but ok.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I apologize? I don't understand what's wrong with that, but ok.

No need for an apology, I was just making an observation...I just don't quite get what bugs you so much when people feel the Lifeproof case is junk or unworthy of consideration. To me, I wouldn't even think of buying another one...I'm just one representation though, one opinion. I guess I was just confused why you felt the need to debate opinions of it so much...I mean I presented some hard evidence before, and then you say "I couldn't agree with the complaints anymore...", that's just weird...who said you had to? LOL! I disagree with opinions all the time, and it feels fantastic! Parading it around though is odd.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen