What case you use for your IP5S?

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have used the Spigen tough armor. Recently I have preferred the Spigen Ultra Hybrid because it seems to be a bit slimmer and I can change up the back by adding my own choice of "picture" or leaving it blank, which making makes it feel like more of a bumper than a case.

View attachment 61817

I have the exact same one love its clear from the back, but i just bought the otterbox commuter black...

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using iMore Forums

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Black defender. I've got a tone of cases from otterbox, UAG, spigen plus an apple leather case.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Just got the spigen slim armor in metal slate with the spigen tempered glass screen protector. Looks and feels awesome

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Sicknsore

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I like the Magpul but stopped using them when I saw that the edges would catch dirt and grime in between the phone and case and caused etching. Would like to see them make a nice heavy duty case (like Otter) but that's doubtful.

I've only been using them for a while now in a week rotation between the black, green and orange, got no problem with the dirt or grime catching on the case (yet?)

As for heavy duty, i too doubtful they'll be making one like otter, but they have the bump case for better protection than the field

Would love to see their version for ip6 tho

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just bought the OtterBox Preserver from Amazon for $40. Insane deal, so I couldn't resist haha. Will see how it functions with the iPhone, if it mutes sound at all or anything else, I'll be going back to CandyShell as my daily driver, and will use Preserver when I'm near water. I can already tell it looks much better than any LifeProof model, but we'll see.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Just bought the OtterBox Preserver from Amazon for $40. Insane deal, so I couldn't resist haha. Will see how it functions with the iPhone, if it mutes sound at all or anything else, I'll be going back to CandyShell as my daily driver, and will use Preserver when I'm near water. I can already tell it looks much better than any LifeProof model, but we'll see.

curious to know how you make out with the sound. i bought one from walmart it sounded like my phone had water in ear piece was horrible but it was one solid case !

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
curious to know how you make out with the sound. i bought one from walmart it sounded like my phone had water in ear piece was horrible but it was one solid case !

Sound for me is fine through the ear piece. Maybe a little quiet, but definitely bearable. Have to turn up the volume a bit though.

Audio through the speaker vibrates a bit for me, but other than that sounds pretty good.

I've also noticed there's a slight gap in between the screen protector and my phone. Might be an air bubble, but it also might just be how the case fits. It causes slight sensitivity issues, but totally doable since it's a pliable screen protector. I also have a matte screen protector installed on the iPhone, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'm thinking it doesn't. Not gonna take it off anyway since I'll be switching cases frequently.

Other than that, it seems like a great case. Really sturdy. Almost too sturdy/rigid, in a way. I'll test it out for a few days and bring it with me on vacation.

On another screen protector side note, it seems like when I drag down on the screen, I heard a kind of "sticky" noise, like ripping tape. I'm wondering if the air pocket is putting pressure on the plastic membrane covering the speaker or the Touch ID sensor. I've tried opening the ports and pushing the air out by dragging down on the screen, but I'm not sure if that's working. When I open the port covers, the sound goes away. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: I can confirm it's the plastic cover over the speaker. Whenever I push on the middle of the screen, I can see the plastic membrane move through the speaker holes. Opening the ports causes this to stop. Wondering if there's any way to stop it from doing this. I don't want it to possibly rupture the plastic membrane.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So many people talking about that tempered glass. I want one.

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using the iMore Forums app

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just went back to my replacement Fre. The Preserver made that "sticky" sound from the plastic membrane every time I touched the screen. Tried putting the case back on a second time, but it didn't help. The air gap was causing slight sensitivity issues and was forcing air to the plastic membrane, which caused that "sticky" noise. Also, the Preserver just felt really rigid and stiff. The Fre is much more lightweight and compact, which I actually like. Only slight issue I have with the new replacement Fre is that it fits extremely tight. Like, it was really hard to snap on. And it wasn't just my 5s with a matte screen protector; my brother's 5 without a screen protector fit snugly too. Might just be the new revision of the cases, since the flash opening is way bigger for the TrueTone flash of the 5s.

Either way, I'm gonna be sticking with the Fre for now. Audio sounds better through both the earpiece and speaker, and the screen sensitivity is much better in my experience. I'm thinking I might just keep the Preserver (since it was only $40), but I also might return it to Amazon if I don't end up using it much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox