I am considering buying a S5 to try out.

I wanted to know if I could transfer my itunes music onto a SD card and use on the S5 ?

I have downloaded a lot of my purchases from itunes and they reside in folders on my back up drive.

will these files play on the S5 ?

Also can I interface the S5 through my macbook ? or do you need a PC ?

Thanks
    07-07-2014 07:47 PM
    The iPhone does not have an SD card slot, no the answer is no to your initial question. Having said that, if you purchased that music via iTunes, then they will be available in the purchased section of the iPhone's iTunes Store for you to re-download at no cost.
    07-07-2014 07:51 PM
    I have the music files on my mac they are .m4a files.

can I take these songs and put them on a sd card for the S5 ?

thanks
    07-07-2014 07:52 PM
    whenever I sync my phone it puts my purchased music into the itunes media folder. can these files be played on a S5 is my question.

thanks
    07-07-2014 07:55 PM
    whenever I sync my phone it puts my purchased music into the itunes media folder. can these files be played on a S5 is my question.

thanks
    Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, those music files should be playable on your iPhone.
    07-07-2014 08:04 PM
    sorry i want to know if I can play them on a Galaxy S5 ?

they came from my itunes account

they are in folders on my mac, can I put these music files on a SD card and play them in a galaxy S5
    07-07-2014 08:09 PM
    sorry i want to know if I can play them on a Galaxy S5 ?

they came from my itunes account

they are in folders on my mac, can I put these music files on a SD card and play them in a galaxy S5
    Oh dang. My bad. I was taking your mention of S5 to mean the iPhone 5S. I'm sorry. Anyway, I'm not sure if you'll be able to play those tunes on your Samsung S5 without converting it to .mp3 or something, but I could be wrong. I've never had a Samsung smartphone so I don't know for certain. Sorry.
    07-07-2014 08:12 PM
    As long as those songs aren't protected then yes you can transfer them to an SD card and play it on your Samsung. File types are a none issue because....well it's Android, you can play any file type your heart desires!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-07-2014 08:34 PM
    is there a way to see of there are protected ?

I might not spring for the Galaxy if I cant take my music. I will be displeased if I cannot use them. I paid for them, who cares where I play them.. right ?

They are .m4a files.

thanks
    07-07-2014 08:44 PM
    is there a way to see of there are protected ?

I might not spring for the Galaxy if I cant take my music. I will be displeased if I cannot use them. I paid for them, who cares where I play them.. right ?

They are .m4a files.

thanks
    If they were purchased in the last several years, then they do not have any DRM. I don't remember when exactly Apple stopped putting DRM on music's, but I'm guessing it was at least 4-5 years ago.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-07-2014 08:47 PM
    I recommend syncing iTunes and Google Play Music, especially if you are an Android user. Google Play Music supports something like 10k songs for free and serves as an excellent backup. There is an app for Mac called Google Music Manager that will sync your library for you. Then you can download what you want directly to the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good OL MC likes this.
    07-07-2014 08:51 PM
    so DRM is the protection ?

Most of the music that I care about was purchased withing the last 3 years.

So is it safe to assume I can use these music files on a Android ?

Also can I use Android software on a Mac ? or can I just back up to a cloud service ?
    07-07-2014 08:52 PM
    seems google music play wants a credit card

is this something new ?

never used anything besides itunes. I feel clueless

thanks
    07-07-2014 08:56 PM
    seems google music play wants a credit card

is this something new ?

never used anything besides itunes. I feel clueless

thanks
    I haven't used google music in a while but don't remember it asking me for a credit card. If I were you I would just drag n drop your iTunes library directly onto your phone or sd card.

Alternatively you should consider downloading isyncr on your computer and GS5 as it allows you to sync your iTunes library with android.

Sent from my Death Note
    07-07-2014 09:17 PM
    I assume I can transfer my photos from my iphone to the galaxy as well ?
    07-07-2014 10:42 PM
    I have both the Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S and I transferred all my music from iTunes to my S5 without a single issue. You can also transfer your pictures if you so choose. Furthermore, I have double the storage on my S5 than I did on my 5S. I bought a Sandisk 128GB microSD card for my S5 from Amazon for $119, nearly half the price for double the storage when compared to the extra $200 that I paid to get 64GB on my iPhone 5S.
    qbnkelt and scruffypig like this.
    07-07-2014 11:17 PM
    iSyncr is a good option to try. That's what I used to sync my iTunes Playlist from my Mac to my Note 3 (via WiFi at home) that stays around the house as a mini-tablet. Primarily use if for Flipboard since I don't have an iPad.

iSyncr has an app that goes on the Mac, and then one on your S5. Quality app and developer in my experience.
    07-07-2014 11:33 PM
    I also use iSyncr. I like the fact that it keeps my playlists intact. I usually transfer via USB though because I find it's a little faster than wifi sync.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    07-09-2014 10:13 PM
    so DRM is the protection ?

Most of the music that I care about was purchased withing the last 3 years.

So is it safe to assume I can use these music files on a Android ?
    If you right click on a song in your library and choose "get info" you will be able to see if it's protected (look for "kind: protected AAC file" etc).

Alternatively, you can add a column to your library that will make it easy to see at a glance if the file is protected. Go to your library in "songs" view. In the toolbar go to View>Show view options. Under the "file" section choose "kind". Now you will easily be able to see which of your songs are protected. As a general rule, if you paid .99 for a song it's probably protected and if you paid 1.29 it's most likely not protected.

If you should choose to use iSyncr to transfer your music to your Android, I believe it tells you as it's syncing whether or not it was able to sync. It will list the name of the song and then "done" or "unable to sync" or something to that effect.

scruffypig likes this.
    07-09-2014 10:34 PM
    I have both the Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S and I transferred all my music from iTunes to my S5 without a single issue. You can also transfer your pictures if you so choose. Furthermore, I have double the storage on my S5 than I did on my 5S. I bought a Sandisk 128GB microSD card for my S5 from Amazon for $119, nearly half the price for double the storage when compared to the extra $200 that I paid to get 64GB on my iPhone 5S.
    But it's still Android.
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-16-2014 06:03 PM
    I have the Iphone 5s and a nexus 5, I switch between the two and sync with no problem, I use an app called ISyncr works flawlessly.
    Last edited by calebt; 07-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.
    07-17-2014 05:05 PM
    I'll just say that moving to android is a big mistake if taking your music with you is something you want to do. They handle music very poorly IMO and typically you lose functionality like being able to turn volume down on the headphone buttons and plugging into a car and controlling music with the stereo instead of your phone. Android is nice and open but their music situation is annoying to me. That's my biggest gripe with switching. Also the S5 is laggy, get the G3 if you really want to switch. It's pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-19-2014 10:10 PM
    I'll just say that moving to android is a big mistake if taking your music with you is something you want to do. They handle music very poorly IMO and typically you lose functionality like being able to turn volume down on the headphone buttons and plugging into a car and controlling music with the stereo instead of your phone. Android is nice and open but their music situation is annoying to me. That's my biggest gripe with switching. Also the S5 is laggy, get the G3 if you really want to switch. It's pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I switch to Android I sorely miss being able to control the music with the inline controls of my headphones. It's a nice feature.

07-19-2014 11:24 PM
    When I switch to Android I sorely miss being able to control the music with the inline controls of my headphones. It's a nice feature.

My Bose headphones control my S5 without an issue, as do my high-end Apple headphones.

I really enjoy my S5 and I love the million features it that entails, but it isn't as fluid as my 5S was. I almost bought the G3, but the washed-out screen was a deal-breaker for me. The key "feature" (the qHD display) turned out to be its biggest drawback. The S5 started out lightning fast but, like all my other Android phones, it has slowed over time. To be fair, though, there's only one area with significant lag, and that's launching the camera. Aside from that, it has no more lag than the 5S did. Both phones have occasional lag here and there, but nothing really on a consistent basis. That being said, my next phone will be the iPhone 6. The one feature that I'll greatly miss, though, is the IR Blaster, because I use it constantly.
    07-20-2014 08:12 PM
    What model Bose headphones do you have? I have the MIE2i and the inline controls haven't worked with any Android I've tried.

The IR blaster is a cool feature but totally wasted on me as I only turn my TV on about once every 2 weeks!
    07-20-2014 08:22 PM
26 12