Can I transfer my iTunes music onto a SD card and use on the Samsung S5 ?

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I am considering buying a S5 to try out.

I wanted to know if I could transfer my itunes music onto a SD card and use on the S5 ?

I have downloaded a lot of my purchases from itunes and they reside in folders on my back up drive.

will these files play on the S5 ?

Also can I interface the S5 through my macbook ? or do you need a PC ?

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone does not have an SD card slot, no the answer is no to your initial question. Having said that, if you purchased that music via iTunes, then they will be available in the purchased section of the iPhone's iTunes Store for you to re-download at no cost.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the music files on my mac they are .m4a files.

can I take these songs and put them on a sd card for the S5 ?

thanks

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
whenever I sync my phone it puts my purchased music into the itunes media folder. can these files be played on a S5 is my question.

thanks

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
whenever I sync my phone it puts my purchased music into the itunes media folder. can these files be played on a S5 is my question.

thanks
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, those music files should be playable on your iPhone.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
sorry i want to know if I can play them on a Galaxy S5 ?

they came from my itunes account

they are in folders on my mac, can I put these music files on a SD card and play them in a galaxy S5

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
sorry i want to know if I can play them on a Galaxy S5 ?

they came from my itunes account

they are in folders on my mac, can I put these music files on a SD card and play them in a galaxy S5

Oh dang. My bad. I was taking your mention of S5 to mean the iPhone 5S. I'm sorry. Anyway, I'm not sure if you'll be able to play those tunes on your Samsung S5 without converting it to .mp3 or something, but I could be wrong. I've never had a Samsung smartphone so I don't know for certain. Sorry.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
As long as those songs aren't protected then yes you can transfer them to an SD card and play it on your Samsung. File types are a none issue because....well it's Android, you can play any file type your heart desires!

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
is there a way to see of there are protected ?

I might not spring for the Galaxy if I cant take my music. I will be displeased if I cannot use them. I paid for them, who cares where I play them.. right ?

They are .m4a files.

thanks

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I recommend syncing iTunes and Google Play Music, especially if you are an Android user. Google Play Music supports something like 10k songs for free and serves as an excellent backup. There is an app for Mac called Google Music Manager that will sync your library for you. Then you can download what you want directly to the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
so DRM is the protection ?

Most of the music that I care about was purchased withing the last 3 years.

So is it safe to assume I can use these music files on a Android ?

Also can I use Android software on a Mac ? or can I just back up to a cloud service ?

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
seems google music play wants a credit card

is this something new ?

never used anything besides itunes. I feel clueless

thanks

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
seems google music play wants a credit card

is this something new ?

never used anything besides itunes. I feel clueless

thanks

I haven't used google music in a while but don't remember it asking me for a credit card. If I were you I would just drag n drop your iTunes library directly onto your phone or sd card.

Alternatively you should consider downloading isyncr on your computer and GS5 as it allows you to sync your iTunes library with android.

Sent from my Death Note

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have both the Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S and I transferred all my music from iTunes to my S5 without a single issue. You can also transfer your pictures if you so choose. Furthermore, I have double the storage on my S5 than I did on my 5S. I bought a Sandisk 128GB microSD card for my S5 from Amazon for $119, nearly half the price for double the storage when compared to the extra $200 that I paid to get 64GB on my iPhone 5S.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
iSyncr is a good option to try. That's what I used to sync my iTunes Playlist from my Mac to my Note 3 (via WiFi at home) that stays around the house as a mini-tablet. Primarily use if for Flipboard since I don't have an iPad.

iSyncr has an app that goes on the Mac, and then one on your S5. Quality app and developer in my experience.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I also use iSyncr. I like the fact that it keeps my playlists intact. I usually transfer via USB though because I find it's a little faster than wifi sync.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
so DRM is the protection ?

Most of the music that I care about was purchased withing the last 3 years.

So is it safe to assume I can use these music files on a Android ?

If you right click on a song in your library and choose "get info" you will be able to see if it's protected (look for "kind: protected AAC file" etc).

Alternatively, you can add a column to your library that will make it easy to see at a glance if the file is protected. Go to your library in "songs" view. In the toolbar go to View>Show view options. Under the "file" section choose "kind". Now you will easily be able to see which of your songs are protected. As a general rule, if you paid .99 for a song it's probably protected and if you paid 1.29 it's most likely not protected.

If you should choose to use iSyncr to transfer your music to your Android, I believe it tells you as it's syncing whether or not it was able to sync. It will list the name of the song and then "done" or "unable to sync" or something to that effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have both the Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S and I transferred all my music from iTunes to my S5 without a single issue. You can also transfer your pictures if you so choose. Furthermore, I have double the storage on my S5 than I did on my 5S. I bought a Sandisk 128GB microSD card for my S5 from Amazon for $119, nearly half the price for double the storage when compared to the extra $200 that I paid to get 64GB on my iPhone 5S.

But it's still Android.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the Iphone 5s and a nexus 5, I switch between the two and sync with no problem, I use an app called ISyncr works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner