Clicking Screen When Pressed

imezru

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Now, I'll admit I have dropped my phone but this problem hasn't arisen until recently. If I press anywhere on the right hand side of the screen when using my phone, it'll make a clicking sound as if its a click screen. I haven't noticed any performance issues with it yet but it's pretty annoying.

I don't have AppleCare but I would like to take it in to a near by Apple Store. Would this fall under the warranty or would they say that because it was dropped (bezel is chipped in bottom left corner) I would have to pay an out of warranty fee?

I'm assuming it's a defect? Maybe someone has had this happen to them and could shed some light.

Thanks!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it's a defect or not since you dropped the device. I doubt if this would fall under the warranty. You'll probably have to pay for the repair. Good luck.

Last edited:

anon7833325

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I had that issue when I had my 5C. I took into an Apple Store, they had it fixed in about ten minutes. I've also heard of them giving out replacement phones on the spot for similar issues. But of you're not under warranty, your experience will probably involve paying for them to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine does this as well (gold 5S), and I see a little bit of light leaking from the top. I'm just going to take mine to t-mobile soon or apple if it isn't too expensive. It doesn't really bother me though.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😁

ctl904

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had this issue too, with a device that is flawless, never dropped. Don't know what carrier you are with, but last time I spoke with Verizon tech support they claimed that this is a "known issue" with the 5s.

Sorry I don't have anything directly pertaining to Apple Care and their support, but know that you are not the only one with the issue, and I personally don't think it has anything to do with you dropping your phone.

iJedi

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
If you're out of warranty, you're pretty out of luck. You'll have to pay for a repair, especially with a chipped bezel. Sorry amigo.

imezru

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank guys for the feedback. I'm still under the one-year warranty. I'll just take it in to an Apple Store this weekend and hope for the best. Trying not to spend too much on repairs here. Cheers!

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Now, I'll admit I have dropped my phone but this problem hasn't arisen until recently. If I press anywhere on the right hand side of the screen when using my phone, it'll make a clicking sound as if its a click screen. I haven't noticed any performance issues with it yet but it's pretty annoying.

I don't have AppleCare but I would like to take it in to a near by Apple Store. Would this fall under the warranty or would they say that because it was dropped (bezel is chipped in bottom left corner) I would have to pay an out of warranty fee?

I'm assuming it's a defect? Maybe someone has had this happen to them and could shed some light.

Thanks!

I'm late but I noticed a screen click today as I was leaving work. I haven't dropped my phone and it stays in a case.

I'm going to make an appointment but I'm wondering...what happened with yours? Did they tell you a cause?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You guys know that Apple is not the only place on the planet that can fix Apple phones, right? It's also not the cheapest either. If you're out of warranty, I strongly recommend doing the following:
-take it to the Apple store and convince the guy to fix it for you no charge. If this doesn't work come back later that day or another day and make the same request of a different employee. Luck of the draw. IF this doesn't work, proceed to next step:
-call several third party repair stores and get a quote from each one. Make sure to confirm with them if they guarantee their work and if so ask for documentation stating this. Then go to the cheapest place. Insist on OEM parts.

You can probably fix the issue yourself by reseating the screen assembly. You need a pentalobe screwdriver and a suction cup. Look up the screen removal guide on iFixit, very straight forward. For your purposes all you need to do is take out the bottom screws on either side of lightning port, put a suction cup above the home button, pull lightly until screen lifts up (don't pull hard or you'll rip the riboon cable that's closer to the front facing camera. Look at the ifixit guide but skip the steps where they take out the 3 screws holding the LCD cable in place as you are simply reseating the screen, not taking out completely as they are. If it's out of warranty this is THE cheapest way and is EXACTLY what the repair shop would do to fix the issue also. I recommend you also wipe the bezel of the screen assembly and the inner edges of the frame where the screen goes into to remove any debris. It could be that you have a piece of debris between the screen bezel and frame and when you press the screen, this piece of debris (grain of sand, etc) is moving and causing the sound you describe.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro