After charging to 100% and unplugging it, the percentage immediately drops to 99, and so forth. Why?

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, up until recently, I've been losing battery faster than ever. Only had my phone for about two months. Already did ALL the battery saving tips, even putting it in airplane mode, to no avail.

After charging to 100% and unplugging it, the percentage immediately drops to 99, and so forth. It never did that until I noticed it about two to three days ago. It sometimes drops even without me using the phone. Any ideas?

Cheers

yqysa5ut.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
re: After charging to 100% and unplugging it, the percentage immediately drops to 99, and so forth. Why?

I think that's stellar battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

epicness4G

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
re: After charging to 100% and unplugging it, the percentage immediately drops to 99, and so forth. Why?

My morning routine consists of waking up and browsing these forums for about 10-15 minutes, every time I lose about 8-10%

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site

What happens sometimes, after unplugging at 100%, battery is already down 2-3% in less than 10mins of usage. A reboot brings it backup to 100% though.

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site

This, for instance is a pretty unusual battery drop.
aje3a7uz.jpg

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

This, for instance is a pretty unusual battery drop.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/18/aje3a7uz.jpg

Lmao, why are you thinking this is unusual? You (or an app) used the phone for 30+ mins - they battery dropped. The number is just an estimate that's why people recommend turning the battery% off because people get obsessed with looking at it. It's just an estimate man. That's very good battery life. Plus - your own usage and apps you have downloaded may affect battery life (something to consider). It's fine.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😁

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site

Because it used to not drain so fast. I usually stay at 100% even after 45mins of use over WiFi.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Batteries do begin to lose a charge quicker as time goes on. Even in 2 months. Consider also that when you have the phone on the charger and it is fully charged, it actually stops charging even if the phone is still plugged in. It basically acts in standby mode and the drain will start. I've left my phones off my chargers overnight and have woken up to my battery percentage being down 5,6, even 7 percent just from being in standby mode.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I think it's safe to say this is above average battery life.. It's far from draining

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

OP, whilst a few replies here say you have normal battery drop, for you it isn't and therefore, it is of concern for you. From what you've said, I think that there are two options open to you.

Firstly, a few things to check yourself:
Have you downloaded any apps recently that might have triggered this, or which you might have given permission to keep updating in the background - Facebook might be an example?
Or is your phone jailbroken? Again this might be the source of the faster-than-before battery drain.
Lastly, do you know whether your carrier is/was carrying out work to the network in your area? If they are/were weaker signals can drain battery life faster as the phone uses more juice to hold on to the signal/or look for a better one the whole time.

Secondly, if this doesn't throw any light on the problem, make a Genius bar appointment and let them have a look at it...

45 minutes on WiFi and no battery drop is the part that is not normal. It sounds as though the battery % is only now starting to reflect more accurately (for whatever reason) what the true position is. Phone batteries aren't like fuel tanks in cars where there is "free" mileage after topping your tank to the brim before you see the needle moving. That's just fuel in the neck of the tank that the needle can't register and phones don't have that; so "free" use without seeing the battery drain is the odd part.

Personally, I don't use the battery percentage for precisely the reason someone mentioned earlier - it becomes a focus of attention. Switch it off and think of the battery icon as simply an indicator. It takes the anxiety out of looking at the phone each time!

Last edited:

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't fear OP I understand what you're saying because it started happening to me around last week as well. I don't know the cause, but as as soon as you unplug from a charge the Battery % will drop to 99%. A reboot will bring it back to 100%.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When that % thingy in the status bar gets to 100%, it reminds me of my gas gauge in my car. When it shows full, it'll hold more. And if I don't keep filling it up til it can't hold more, then it drops off full quickly. My advise is to not watch the % in the status bar. It'll drive you nuts. Just enjoy your device.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like your battery is showing inaccurate stats. Have you tried letting it drain then charging all the way when off? That's supposed to help calibrate it.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like your battery is showing inaccurate stats. Have you tried letting it drain then charging all the way when off? That's supposed to help calibrate it.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!
I did this, but for the life of me I couldn't tell if that resolved the issue because the very next day Applecare replaced the phone because of the faulty sleep/wake button. I'm sure there's a reason that the percentage readout is turned off by default. ;)

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, up until recently, I've been losing battery faster than ever. Only had my phone for about two months. Already did ALL the battery saving tips, even putting it in airplane mode, to no avail.

After charging to 100% and unplugging it, the percentage immediately drops to 99, and so forth. It never did that until I noticed it about two to three days ago. It sometimes drops even without me using the phone. Any ideas?

Cheers

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/17/yqysa5ut.jpg

The biggest battery saver for me is switching off push email. I open the app when ever it want to check mail. Saves a hell of a lot of battery.

JsLee14

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everyone, turn off the battery percentage it will save you the headache. But I know what you are saying, it happens all the time to me, but I have a theory that while it does go down from 100% to 99% quickly, it will calibrate itself over the time while you use the battery. Example you spend 10 mins from it going down from 100% to 99% Wifi, while on 85% to 84% you spend 20 mins doing the same thing give or take. Overall I think Apple should have an option to turn off battery percentage UNTIL it hits critical levels lower than 20% IMO.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2