Purchased my iphone 5S yesterday and brought a standard flip leather case from carphone warehouse, the case is made of leather and hard plastic, I am worried this will scratch my iphone around the edges. Is the official apple iphone 5S worth buying? What color do you have or recommend? Thanks In advance

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    06-02-2014 08:36 AM
    Purchased my iphone 5S yesterday and brought a standard flip leather case from carphone warehouse, the case is made of leather and hard plastic, I am worried this will scratch my iphone around the edges. Is the official apple iphone 5S worth buying? What color do you have or recommend? Thanks In advance

Honestly, between all the cases I use every week, the official leather case is my least used one. It feels nice, but it's a soft leather that scuffs and tears pretty easily. I dug my finger nail into the back too hard when I was trying to take the case off for the first time and left a deep mark in it.

I would grab something from spigen or bodyglove.

AlexJ92 likes this.
    06-02-2014 08:42 AM
    I've never used the Apple leather case. I like the Seidio Surface case.
    AlexJ92 likes this.
    06-02-2014 08:46 AM
    Honestly, between all the cases I use every week, the official leather case is my least used one. It feels nice, but it's a soft leather that scuffs and tears pretty easily. I dug my finger nail into the back too hard when I was trying to take the case off for the first time and left a deep mark in it.

I would grab something from spigen or bodyglove.

I'm disappointed in Apple then if the case is that easily damaged

06-02-2014 08:57 AM
    I have two Apple leather cases a blue and a brown. These are the two of the best fitting cases I have owned. I typically use the blue one.

The only complaint I have is the blue shows dirt and grime very easily. Most of it can be wiped off with a damp cloth but not all.

I haven't used any of the other cases since I got these 6 months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AlexJ92 likes this.
    06-02-2014 09:02 AM
    The problem I have found with Apples leather case is it's made out of Aniline leather. ANILINE leathers are very porous and delicate and do not perform in everyday use as well as protected leather.

Being porous the ANILINE will absorb dirt, oils and grime and these will eventually block the pores of the hide and ruin the feel and finish. It is also susceptible to fading, even with indirect sunlight the colour can change dramatically.

The low durability factor means that basically it cannot be cleaned. It will also mark and stain rather easily.

AlexJ92 likes this.
    06-02-2014 09:16 AM
    I have two Apple leather cases a blue and a brown. These are the two of the best fitting cases I have owned. I typically use the blue one.

The only complaint I have is the blue shows dirt and grime very easily. Most of it can be wiped off with a damp cloth but not all.

I haven't used any of the other cases since I got these 6 months back.

Thank you for your reply, is there any issue with the case scratching the iphone? Thanks

06-02-2014 09:26 AM
    The problem I have found with Apples leather case is it's made out of Aniline leather. ANILINE leathers are very porous and delicate and do not perform in everyday use as well as protected leather.

Being porous the ANILINE will absorb dirt, oils and grime and these will eventually block the pores of the hide and ruin the feel and finish. It is also susceptible to fading, even with indirect sunlight the colour can change dramatically.

The low durability factor means that basically it cannot be cleaned. It will also mark and stain rather easily.

Would you say the black case would be best in this situation? Thanks

06-02-2014 09:27 AM
    Yes. If I bought the Apple leather case I would buy the black one.

AlexJ92 likes this.
    06-02-2014 09:29 AM
    Check out this article Richard posted about it a while ago.

http://m.imore.com/apple-iphone-5s-l...-keep-it-clean

AlexJ92 likes this.
    06-02-2014 09:33 AM
    Check out this article Richard posted about it a while ago.

http://m.imore.com/apple-iphone-5s-l...-keep-it-clean

Thank you for the link, if I get the official leather case I will be getting the black one

06-02-2014 09:40 AM
    Would you say the black case would be best in this situation? Thanks

Well, I have a black one and I'm happy to report that it resists dirt and grime much better than other colors. I've also heard that the brown case actually gets a cool 'vintage' look when it collects dirt, which could appeal to you.

AlexJ92 likes this.
    06-02-2014 09:45 AM
    Well, I have a black one and I'm happy to report that it resists dirt and grime much better than other colors. I've also heard that the brown case actually gets a cool 'vintage' look when it collects dirt, which could appeal to you.

The only reason I did not purchased the official case yesterday when I brought my iphone was due to them not being in stock, so they gave me 20% off any other case

06-02-2014 09:54 AM
    Thank you for your reply, is there any issue with the case scratching the iphone? Thanks

No issues with scratching.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    06-02-2014 11:40 AM
    I am using Apple leather case, Product Red and it is awesome. The snug fit of this case is unmatchable.

Though it scuffs easily but keeps your phone safe.

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums
    06-02-2014 11:43 AM

Yes the brown looks neat with that look. Unfortunately I have a matching blue Apple iPad case and also a blue case for my Moto X, so my brown case is hardly used.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    06-02-2014 11:48 AM
    I find that in general leather cases get scuffed or scratched easily. Is there a reason you want a leather case? Because of the flip cover?
    I would prefer a new better leather flip case only due to the protection that it provides but I looked at the official iphone 5S leather case (non flip) and it had mixed reviews

Sent from my iPhone 5S
    06-02-2014 03:41 PM
    i always preferred the incipio dualpro
    10-28-2014 04:13 PM