Switching from Windows Phone to iPhone 5s

DBZo07

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I am switching from Windows Phone to an iPhone 5s.

I have the both device with me now but I want to make a proper transition.
Guys I need your help,

I want my transition to be smooth and hazel free. Hence, I will only put my sim into iPhone after I get help from you guys

Features/Apps I used most,

Windows mail-Similar experience in iPhone?
OneNote-How is OneNote on iPhone?
Pocket recorder-I need a recorder daily.
Office-Office editors excel words pdf
OneDrive-I have all data on OneDrive, it doesn't matter if I move to Dropbox or iCloud.
WhatsApp-Heavy usage but planning to get bbm too on iPhone.
MyTube/YouTube-Daily usage.

Guys, suggest me for the above and other important info on switching over.

Other relevant information ,
I have to move as my office teammates demanded, we get iPhone from our company. I wasn't moving to iPhone as I love windows phone but due to some reason I lagged in certain areas, I prefer not to make flames here so just need assistance.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am switching from Windows Phone to an iPhone 5s(need help)

Better. If you don't like the iPhones default mail program there are plenty of alternatives such as mailbox or accompli (bb 10 hub on steroids).

I use evernote. But here is a little blurb by Imore:
http://m.imore.com/onenote-receives-much-requested-updates-both-mac-and-ios

Plenty of apps.

Ms office is available on the App Store, apple also offers it's iWork suite for free

OneDrive-I have all data on OneDrive, it doesn't matter if I move to Dropbox or iCloud.
You don't have to move, I would move to icloud, but you can just download one drive on the App Store.

Stick with what's app, bbm is unreliable.

Good luck. 😃

DBZo07

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, good response mate.
Seems OneNote is fairly developed for Apple devices too. I can move to evernote if it performs better... BBM is unreliable in what context?
One question about recorder, can I move recorded files to pc?
And one last question- what you meant by bb10 hub on steroids?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, good response mate.

Anytime

Seems OneNote is fairly developed for Apple devices too. I can move to evernote if it performs better... BBM is unreliable in what context?

I have no experience using one note. Try both out first and see which one you prefer.

As for bbm being unreliable: undelivered msgs, hit or a miss with notifications, and generally laggy.

Try telegram, the Ui is much much nicer and is not reliable and secure.

One question about recorder, can I move recorded files to pc?
And one last question- what you meant by bb10 hub on steroids?

Yup.
Here are the instructions:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02/23/how-to-transfer-voice-memos-iphone-computer/
If you want a voice recorder with a little more kick; http://m.tuaw.com/2014/01/28/audio-memos-for-ios-like-apples-voice-memo-only-much-better/

Acompli: there is a video explaining it.
https://www.acompli.com/

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Guys I need your help,

I want my transition to be smooth and hazel free. Hence, I will only put my sim into iPhone after I get help from you guys

I have to move as my office teammates demanded, we get iPhone from our company. I wasn't moving to iPhone as I love windows phone but due to some reason I lagged in certain areas, I prefer not to make flames here so just need assistance.

You've come to the right place! I'm going to move this to the iPhone 5s forum to get you some more help. Also going to get some of our team members at Windows Phone Central to stop by and lend a hand. More help is on the way!

Welcome to iMore!

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

Guys I need your help,

-- if you use windows mail (outlook) there's an app called "OWA for iPhone that looks native. Otherwise I use cloudmail or the normal iPhone email (have too for iCloud and other app compatibility).

-- AWESOME

-- the iPhone has a voice memo app (recorder) which is flawless and sync the memos to your iTunes. I used to use it often for my college classes.

-- Use OneDrive and Office Mobile in sync . I do a lot of my college assignments on my phone and I use these two which work together amazingly on iPhone (better than GoogleDrive to me).ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401711942.108568.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401711955.876429.jpg

-- Above^ [i don't like using iCloud for docs but I've heard nothing but good news about Pages? I believe it's called]

-- these are fine. I haven't noticed any lag.

-- downloadable YT app that works without any hiccups :)

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Curtieson

May 31, 2013
Visit site
If only I could get my wife to use OneNote on iPhone...she still uses....*gasp*...PAPER STICKY NOTES!

Something else I'd suggest...you haven't mentioned which calendar service you used, but if you need a group/shared calendar, set it up on WP before moving over. On WP8 you can set up a Room and anyone with an MS Account can join that room. There is only one feature that carries over to iPhone though and that is the shared calendar. It is incredibly handy to just make one appointment on my Nokia 920 and (nearly) instantly have it show up on the Mrs. iPhone.

DBZo07

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Anytime

I have no experience using one note. Try both out first and see which one you prefer.

As for bbm being unreliable: undelivered msgs, hit or a miss with notifications, and generally laggy.

Try telegram, the Ui is much much nicer and is not reliable and secure.

Yup.
Here are the instructions:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02/23/how-to-transfer-voice-memos-iphone-computer/
If you want a voice recorder with a little more kick; http://m.tuaw.com/2014/01/28/audio-memos-for-ios-like-apples-voice-memo-only-much-better/

Acompli: there is a video explaining it.
https://www.acompli.com/
Thanks a lot mate. I have successfully switched. Your efforts were very helpful.

You've come to the right place! I'm going to move this to the iPhone 5s forum to get you some more help. Also going to get some of our team members at Windows Phone Central to stop by and lend a hand. More help is on the way!

Welcome to iMore!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I have got a very good response here.

-- if you use windows mail (outlook) there's an app called "OWA for iPhone that looks native. Otherwise I use cloudmail or the normal iPhone email (have too for iCloud and other app compatibility).

-- AWESOME

-- the iPhone has a voice memo app (recorder) which is flawless and sync the memos to your iTunes. I used to use it often for my college classes.

-- Use OneDrive and Office Mobile in sync . I do a lot of my college assignments on my phone and I use these two which work together amazingly on iPhone (better than GoogleDrive to me).View attachment 57712View attachment 57713

-- Above^ [i don't like using iCloud for docs but I've heard nothing but good news about Pages? I believe it's called]

-- these are fine. I haven't noticed any lag.

-- downloadable YT app that works without any hiccups :)

Hey. Thanks for the YouTube tip. I thought it's not possible.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Man, these guys already beat me, lol.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your iPhone. Sorry that you and your WP didn't work out.

Hey @unstoppablekem , I recognise you from wpc forum. I am still using windows phone as alternative.
Actually, I use oneNote, Office and Onedrive a lot and it's so awesome that I don't miss windows phone but as those apps are far better on iPhone. Microsoft developed great apps for iOS.

If only I could get my wife to use OneNote on iPhone...she still uses....*gasp*...PAPER STICKY NOTES!

Something else I'd suggest...you haven't mentioned which calendar service you used, but if you need a group/shared calendar, set it up on WP before moving over. On WP8 you can set up a Room and anyone with an MS Account can join that room. There is only one feature that carries over to iPhone though and that is the shared calendar. It is incredibly handy to just make one appointment on my Nokia 920 and (nearly) instantly have it show up on the Mrs. iPhone.

Lol for that paper, STICK NOTES. One note is awesome to keep all notes safe.

Ya correct, I actually forgot ?Room? it will come handy to me. Thanks.

Thanks you all, imore has good response and most importantly response was accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR