Galaxy Note 3 to iPhone 5S

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The other day I switched from the Galaxy Note 3 to the iPhone 5S.

My reasons, I had recently bought an iPad Mini with LTE and moved a lot of what I was doing from the Note 3 to the iPad Mini. Over time I had noticed that I was using the Note 3 less and less and the iPad Mini more. I originally bought the iPad Mini when Microsoft Office, Word and Excel, came out to try it out and see how it performed. I will say its a great start and very useful and productive. It came to the point that all I used the Note 3 was little things and to text message. That led me to switch to the iPhones 5S. The only real downside of the iPhone 5S is the size but when the iPhone 6 comes out with the 4.7 inch screen comes out I will be switching to it which will solve my only problem with the iPhone 5S.

I like Android and the Galaxy series but it has come to have to much junk software on it and the only way to fix it is to root the phone. Also another major problem with Android is the way it is updated through the carriers. You have to do the work and a lot of it if you wanted the latest software on Android unlike with Apple, this is the fault of the carriers and Apple is the only one to set up and challenge them on this.

I am no fanboy of any operating system since I switch often to tryout the latest and greatest. I have used all 4 operating systems in the last 2 years. The one thing that made me leave the iOS system was the phone size and now that Apple has decided to build a larger iPhone I decided to come back.

Remember that every system has good and bad parts and they are different to everyone. And you can not criticize one system over the other till you have used them.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note 3 before as well. Loved the bigger screen but hated the software, the lag in some apps, and the low quality apps. I'm happy to be back with iOS!

HeLLb0y

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing. I loved having a larger screen. But the more I thought about it I used apples services, iMessage and FaceTime, more. Plus the reliability. Can't beat it. My Note 3 was incredible and like you I'm not a fanboy of any specific os. I use what I like and what works for me. That's why I'm back on an iPhone 5s. I will be getting the 6 with the (hopefully) bigger screen. Can't wait.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The other day I switched from the Galaxy Note 3 to the iPhone 5S.

My reasons, I had recently bought an iPad Mini with LTE and moved a lot of what I was doing from the Note 3 to the iPad Mini. Over time I had noticed that I was using the Note 3 less and less and the iPad Mini more. I originally bought the iPad Mini when Microsoft Office, Word and Excel, came out to try it out and see how it performed. I will say its a great start and very useful and productive. It came to the point that all I used the Note 3 was little things and to text message. That led me to switch to the iPhones 5S. The only real downside of the iPhone 5S is the size but when the iPhone 6 comes out with the 4.7 inch screen comes out I will be switching to it which will solve my only problem with the iPhone 5S.

I like Android and the Galaxy series but it has come to have to much junk software on it and the only way to fix it is to root the phone. Also another major problem with Android is the way it is updated through the carriers. You have to do the work and a lot of it if you wanted the latest software on Android unlike with Apple, this is the fault of the carriers and Apple is the only one to set up and challenge them on this.

I am no fanboy of any operating system since I switch often to tryout the latest and greatest. I have used all 4 operating systems in the last 2 years. The one thing that made me leave the iOS system was the phone size and now that Apple has decided to build a larger iPhone I decided to come back.

Remember that every system has good and bad parts and they are different to everyone. And you can not criticize one system over the other till you have used them.

I had the Note 3 before as well. Loved the bigger screen but hated the software, the lag in some apps, and the low quality apps. I'm happy to be back with iOS!

I did the same thing. I loved having a larger screen. But the more I thought about it I used apples services, iMessage and FaceTime, more. Plus the reliability. Can't beat it. My Note 3 was incredible and like you I'm not a fanboy of any specific os. I use what I like and what works for me. That's why I'm back on an iPhone 5s. I will be getting the 6 with the (hopefully) bigger screen. Can't wait.

Well stated...:)

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you use an iPad than the iPhone has a huge advantage over any other smartphone. There is nothing that can replace the service integration across both form factors and I think at that point it doesn't even matter much about what each OS offers and the difference in device functions. The cross-device/form factor interoperability is that important, IMO.

If the OP had gotten, i.e. a Surface 2 or something, then things would be a bit different.

The Achilles heel of Apple's ecosystem is the lock-in, which limits your device choices if you want seamless experience with the services across form factors and platforms.

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I do have the Surface Pro but the iPad is used for simple things and apps where I use the Surface for work. I am heavy into Microsoft OS and advanced programs so I could never go to a MACBook Pro.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried the Nokia Lumia 822 when I was on Verizon but am now on T-Mobile and they don't have any of the higher end Nokia's. That was also before WP 8.1 I might come back to WP when some of the newer WP 8.1 come out. Might have to go back to 2 lines so that I can do more testing on phones.

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
It must feel really clustered after spending time on a large screen phone and coming to a smaller screen. I do look forward to the iPhones with the bigger screens, but for me, screen size isn't the issue.

I've used android and bbos 7 only played the bbos 10 for a lil bit but I haven't tried wp yet. After seeing that you can make transparent tiles so that you have somewhat of a wallpaper, my interest has gone up.

Still I'll stick with Apple for now. If they don't have anything new to bring to the smartphone industry, I'm moving back to blackberry.

Wait what was this thread about?

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

panjwani

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Same here jus switched back today hated that kitkat OS no regrets at all switching back

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Note 3 to a LG G2 with a 5s waiting to be unlocked which I would then sell the G2. The unlocker I go through had their method "crash" so no unlocked 5s for me. I don't want to pay 140 for a guaranteed unlock because let's face it, that's a lot of money just for an unlock, so I'm probably going to swap the 5s back to a Note 3. I contacted that ideviceguys unlocker yesterday about using their service, but they don't like to respond from what I've seen so I guess they don't want my money. Oh well. I'll come back to iPhone when the larger 6 gets released.

Rigs0512

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! I can't remember the latest post I made before this. Recently I switched back to iPhone from GNote 3. Love my new silver 5s.

Years ago, I switched to Galaxy s3 from iPhone4, then switched back to iPhone 4 (got it unlocked with the help of this forum)... shame on me, when finally my iPhone4 broken, I replaced it with Galaxy Note 3. Then I realised Android is not for me (Not today)! No offence, it's all about personal preference!

iOS is still the best mobile OS in this planet!!

Tywone

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I too made the tranisition from Note3 to Iphone 5s yesterday. I had the Iphone 5 prior to the Note 3. I'm glad to back to IOS and back home!!

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been in the Apple and Android camps at various times. I currently have a MBP, iPhone 5S and iPad Mini. Last year I had the iPhone 5 and opted for a Motorola Razr HD Maxx. I LOVED the larger screen, but having to integrate my Apple ecosystem and the essentially stand-alone Maxx turned out to be a royal PITA. I sold the Maxx and paid full price for the 5S. The quality build, the support, instant OS updates and integration of all devices can't be beaten. I'm very happy there may be a larger screen on the horizon and I definitely plan to opt IN for that. Not sure if I'd go for a 4.7 inch (same as the Maxx) or wait for a 5.5, which may be too large. Hard to guess ahead of time.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I switched out of the iPhone 5s to a Note 3. For me it was simply battery life on the Note 3 and the lack there of on the iPhone. I had no plans on keeping the iPhone 5s beyond the iphone 6's launch anyways so I didn't want to waste money on a Mophie Space 32GB since thats $180 down the drain. Instead I will live with the Note 3 for the 4 months I have to and then I fully expect we will see the up sized iPhone 6 in the 4.7+ screen size and with that I would happily get a Mophie Space and enjoy it along with my new iPad Mini Retina 128GB.

I like iOS (and Android equally) but it comes down to form and function and battery life and even the Apple store employees admit the iphone lacks in the battery department and battery life is the second complaint next to screen size.

Happily looking forward to September and an iPhone 6.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Those who have switched from a Note to iPhone, how are you coping with the screen size difference? Dramatic change, no?

Sent from my iPhone

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The size is not much of a problem since I use my iPad Mini with LTE to do a lot of the stuff I use to do on my Note 3 and I mainly use the iPhone 5s to text. Once I move to the bigger iPhone some of what I do on the iPad Mini will be moved back to the iPhone or will be split between the two.

I thought the drastic size difference would be hard yet it's not to bad.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I love the screen on my note 3 too. I didn't care much for android though. I don't think I'll be back.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a note 3 to the 5S last month and yes the screen size is a dramatic change. But I have an iPad 4 so I do most of my web browsing, reading, etc. on there. I mostly use my phone for calls and texts..lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73