How tough is this phone against drops?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I have this phone in a spigen tough armor case. Tonight while it was on the charger my foot accidentally snagged on the charging cord and the phone feel off my table in my room. I think it feel face first, not sure.

I did schedule a Genius Bar appointment because I was gonna be near a apple store tomorrow, but maybe it's not necessary. I just wanted them to take a look inside and make sure nothing got knocked around. Things seem fine. But want to be sure.

My question is how tough are the internals of these phones from drops? Are we at a point where small drops probably won't even do damage that much?

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
The damage for the most part on these devices is external it's the reason why cases are so popular, to avoid cracked screens and Knicks on the body of the phone, the internal components much like many laptops sit on a logic board that many times has crumple zones for really harsh falls, however in the car of the iPhone everything is either soldered or glue I'm the case of the battery if you have a case on it just take it out check for Knicks and if it looks good just go about your life, if it makes you feel better than stop by the store and get it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The damage for the most part on these devices is external it's the reason why cases are so popular, to avoid cracked screens and Knicks on the body of the phone, the internal components much like many laptops sit on a logic board that many times has crumple zones for really harsh falls, however in the car of the iPhone everything is either soldered or glue I'm the case of the battery if you have a case on it just take it out check for Knicks and if it looks good just go about your life, if it makes you feel better than stop by the store and get it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Yeah, might as well just tell them what happened and see if they can pop it open.

My problem is I think my mind will play tricks thinking something not right until I get it checked out.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt the genius at Apple store is going to open the phone up. They will run the diagnostics on the phone and will tell you is anything is wrong. If the phone is working good I would not bother visiting the store. Everything on the iPhone is pretty much rock solid inside. As the previous posts say, you might see some external visible damage before the internals are busted. But again, you can always get it checked if you it is really bothering you.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is working ok it probably is ok. I've probably dropped my 5S 5-6 times and it's fine. Wait until you have a problem to take it in.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So, I have this phone in a spigen tough armor case. Tonight while it was on the charger my foot accidentally snagged on the charging cord and the phone feel off my table in my room. I think it feel face first, not sure.

I did schedule a Genius Bar appointment because I was gonna be near a apple store tomorrow, but maybe it's not necessary. I just wanted them to take a look inside and make sure nothing got knocked around. Things seem fine. But want to be sure.

My question is how tough are the internals of these phones from drops? Are we at a point where small drops probably won't even do damage that much?

I think its pretty darn tough. I've dropped my phone a few times and today marks the second time I dropped it when I got out the car and kicked it across the parking lot LOL...works perfectly!!! My case is a tad beat up but no other issues!!

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion (and unfortunate experience), your biggest worry is gong to be screen damage. It's going to take a hell of a shot to damage it internally and your screen will be shot before that happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they would open your phone if nothing is wrong. If your phone seems fine it probably is. These things are tougher than we think.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, sorry for belated update: I did take it to the apple store and explained the situation and asked if they could just open it to make sure nothing was knocked loose or anything. Guy took it to the back, came back about 5-10 minutes later, said everything looked ok.

So , guess I'm good. I sometimes underestimate how handy apple stores are if we have worry sir issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods