Do anyone you have second thoughts about spending $649, $749 or even $849 for your 5s. I've spend $700 once for a phone brand new. I cannot see myself spending that much again for a phone. Not that I cannot afford but it is pretty expensive for a phone. Just curious on others thought.
    04-25-2014 08:06 PM
    Consider a few things when asking this question...

- Buying a phone outright means it is not locked to a carrier...this in turn means better value when you try to sell it, and an easier sell (since it's more widely usable)
    - Buying a phone outright means you can walk away from a carrier if the service becomes poor and you want to try something else without the need to pay termination fees.

...and let's face it...looking at the list of things you have in your signature, you're no stranger to spending big bucks on high ticket items from Apple. Why such a sudden distaste for expenditure if you've purchased a Macbook, an iPad (x2) and a Mac Mini...all of which cost close, equal or more than the iPhone without contract. This is a pocket computer...the abilities of which are understated by the common place of the device itself. To be 100% honest, given how much phones USED to cost back the days of brick nokias and other prehistoric models...$700-$900 for the iPhone is a damn steal.
    kataran likes this.
    04-25-2014 08:16 PM
    Consider a few things when asking this question...

- Buying a phone outright means it is not locked to a carrier...this in turn means better value when you try to sell it, and an easier sell (since it's more widely usable)
    - Buying a phone outright means you can walk away from a carrier if the service becomes poor and you want to try something else without the need to pay termination fees.

...and let's face it...looking at the list of things you have in your signature, you're no stranger to spending big bucks on high ticket items from Apple. Why such a sudden distaste for expenditure if you've purchased a Macbook, an iPad (x2) and a Mac Mini...all of which cost close, equal or more than the iPhone without contract. This is a pocket computer...the abilities of which are understated by the common place of the device itself. To be 100% honest, given how much phones USED to cost back the days of brick nokias and other prehistoric models...$700-$900 for the iPhone is a damn steal.
    I wouldn't put the iPhone and the computers in the same group. I can agree with you as far as the iPads. I do understand what you are saying. I asked this because I'm looking to maybe get a 5s and the ones on eBay, so many are either bad imei or iCloud locked. I'd rather buy brand new. I like getting the most GB size and that 849 plus tax makes me cringe a bit lol.
    04-25-2014 08:48 PM
    I paid $849 for mine. It didn't really give me pause, but I would have preferred to have been able to use one of my upgrades that I cannot use because I'd lose my unlimited data with Verizon. I don't want to switch carriers so I'd be fine with a contract, but I need to keep my unlimited data (I usually use at least 6GB per month) so I'm forever stuck with full retail.
    04-25-2014 08:54 PM
    Do anyone you have second thoughts about spending $649, $749 or even $849 for your 5s. I've spend $700 once for a phone brand new. I cannot see myself spending that much again for a phone. Not that I cannot afford but it is pretty expensive for a phone. Just curious on others thought.
    paying the full retail price is worth it, if your. Not the type of person to go and buy a new phone every couple of months ( how I use to be lol). But as for buying used on ebay id look for someone with high reputation and good feedback usually you can find a good one for around 5 or 600.

but my suggestion is to check swappa.com. Only worthy devices are sold on there so no need for cracked screens bad esns etc.

Sent from my Gold iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-25-2014 09:33 PM
    I bought mine outright and it was worth it. I don't think I'll do it again, though. I got insurance when I bought the 5S, so I'll never have to go back to using an old phone and waiting for the next phone to come out if something happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-25-2014 09:42 PM
    I bought my 5S outright. No regrets, even though it's a down payment on a NYC coop.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    04-25-2014 10:53 PM
    I paid $1130 for mine ( gold 64gig). It's pretty expensive here in Australia. Crazy I know but I love my iphone. Most people I know wouldn't spend that that money on " just a phone ". But in my books it's worth it.
    Speedygi and Sanjay Chandra like this.
    04-26-2014 01:00 AM
    I have that $30 tmobile plan so spending almost 900 on a phone wasn't too bad especially since it's unlocked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    serglb likes this.
    04-26-2014 03:35 AM
    I finance my phones through T-Mobile, so if I pay the entire phone off, I do end up paying full price. Alternatively, I can pay half of it off and trade it in towards a new phone. This works for me.

Speedygi and Highrisedrifter like this.
    04-26-2014 01:10 PM
    I suggest Swappa as well. It's getting to be too many shysters on eBay. Gotta be careful. You could get a box of rocks.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    Speedygi and A895 like this.
    04-26-2014 02:01 PM
    I finance my phones through T-Mobile, so if I pay the entire phone off, I do end up paying full price. Alternatively, I can pay half of it off and trade it in towards a new phone. This works for me.

Same here. That's what I might do for the 6 since I already paid off half of my phone.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-26-2014 03:24 PM
    I pay full, every other device.
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-26-2014 03:36 PM

I have the same thing through sprint thinking about paying it off tho and keeping it

Sent from my Gold iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-26-2014 04:36 PM
    I'm in Aus and the prices at the moment are about $856 16GB $990 32GB and as mentioned above about $1100 for 64GB.
    First 5s i bought wasn't even in the box lol. Got one on contract now.
    04-26-2014 06:29 PM
    Got mine out right 709 64gb. With a contract the same as I am on now with many mins, texts and unlimited data (current 15 pm) would have been about 1200 for a 50 pm + upfront handset price, contracts in the UK are crazy for the 5s per month for nothing different just making more money out of people that want to pay monthly.
    So I saved money and I have the piece of mind I got it from apple direct so any problems with it they will sort out asap it can't be blacklisted unless I blacklist it. It is 100% legally mine I can get and claim on insurance as I have the original receipt.

I was going to save 200 to buy it on eBay but if I got a phone from a poo bag who blacklisted it not long after I got it, I would have to buy a new one anyway so not a saving at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    04-26-2014 06:47 PM
    I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay for $450 then paid $750 for my iPhone 5s. I was out about $300 which is what I would have paid to sign a new 2 year contract. Best of all I still have my unlimited Verizon data plan. I plan to do the same thing when the next iPhone is released this fall.
    rellyrellz likes this.
    04-27-2014 12:32 AM
    I buy every phone out right. I never sign cell contracts. That's why these companies continue to rip people off and offer poor service because they have you in these contracts that are hard to get away from

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    04-27-2014 02:36 PM
    I buy every phone out right. I never sign cell contracts. That's why these companies continue to rip people off and offer poor service because they have you in these contracts that are hard to get away from

Or you can get lucky and score a nice plan on a 2 year term...
    Buying your 5s outright.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1398629171.833676.jpg
    $80/month + $10/month for phone insurance that also includes water damage.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    04-27-2014 04:07 PM
    Or you can get lucky and score a nice plan on a 2 year term...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398629171.833676.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	55099
    $80/month + $10/month for phone insurance that also includes water damage.

Not bad!

Sent From My White iPhone 5s
    04-27-2014 04:40 PM

But in many cases you aren't getting any better of a deal buying outright. Yes you can leave whenever but buying outright doesn't help to improve or make carriers care to offer better plans and improve other areas 99% of the time. Even with what TMO is doing the others just follow with higher priced options that aren't that great of deals.
    04-27-2014 06:46 PM
    I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay for $450 then paid $750 for my iPhone 5s. I was out about $300 which is what I would have paid to sign a new 2 year contract. Best of all I still have my unlimited Verizon data plan. I plan to do the same thing when the next iPhone is released this fall.
    That's what I do with my phones as well, so pretty much like you said it is like upgrading without signing another 2 years of your life away to big red.
    04-27-2014 06:47 PM
    But in many cases you aren't getting any better of a deal buying outright. Yes you can leave whenever but buying outright doesn't help to improve or make carriers care to offer better plans and improve other areas 99% of the time. Even with what TMO is doing the others just follow with higher priced options that aren't that great of deals.
    Here in Canada when you bring your own device you get $20 off your plan, but Rogers recently cut theirs to $10 and other carriers will probably follow...

04-27-2014 07:06 PM
    Here in Canada when you bring your own device you get $20 off your plan, but Rogers recently cut theirs to $10 and other carriers will probably follow...

Canadian phone companies are the most criminal of all. I have telus and had Bell and they both suck

Sent From My iPhone 5s
    04-27-2014 08:22 PM
    When I sold my iPhone 5 I had a nexus 5 for awhile! Than I sold that and tried to buy an used iPhone but couldn't get a good one! So thought WTH just go in a store and buy a new one! There was no 32GB available so got a 64GB gold plus apple care! Feels so good to go in the store and just buy one

04-29-2014 11:23 AM
28 12