Buying your 5s outright.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I buy every phone out right. I never sign cell contracts. That's why these companies continue to rip people off and offer poor service because they have you in these contracts that are hard to get away from

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

But in many cases you aren't getting any better of a deal buying outright. Yes you can leave whenever but buying outright doesn't help to improve or make carriers care to offer better plans and improve other areas 99% of the time. Even with what TMO is doing the others just follow with higher priced options that aren't that great of deals.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay for $450 then paid $750 for my iPhone 5s. I was out about $300 which is what I would have paid to sign a new 2 year contract. Best of all I still have my unlimited Verizon data plan. I plan to do the same thing when the next iPhone is released this fall.

That's what I do with my phones as well, so pretty much like you said it is like upgrading without signing another 2 years of your life away to big red.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
But in many cases you aren't getting any better of a deal buying outright. Yes you can leave whenever but buying outright doesn't help to improve or make carriers care to offer better plans and improve other areas 99% of the time. Even with what TMO is doing the others just follow with higher priced options that aren't that great of deals.

Here in Canada when you bring your own device you get $20 off your plan, but Rogers recently cut theirs to $10 and other carriers will probably follow...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Here in Canada when you bring your own device you get $20 off your plan, but Rogers recently cut theirs to $10 and other carriers will probably follow...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Canadian phone companies are the most criminal of all. I have telus and had Bell and they both suck

Sent From My iPhone 5s

jaywill27

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
When I sold my iPhone 5 I had a nexus 5 for awhile! Than I sold that and tried to buy an used iPhone but couldn't get a good one! So thought WTH just go in a store and buy a new one! There was no 32GB available so got a 64GB gold plus apple care! Feels so good to go in the store and just buy one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I buy the iPhone outright every alternate years and use the carrier discount the other years. So average out it costs me roughly $500 per year. I would say it is worth it, wouldn't you?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
With the way carriers are going and the whole financing without being locked into a contract, I will ONLY buy my phones outright now more than ever. I always have paid full price but now it's better to do it that way more than ever. I can't count (seriously), the amount of times I have been to a carrier store over the last 6 months and listening to a customer who bought a phone on CL to find out that the previous owner was financing it and stopped paying.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the 32GB outright but took it back after 10 days. The phone didn't seem like it was worth 800 (tax added in). Got the Note 3 (32GB) for $50 savings instead. Device offers me a bit more value for what I paid.

I might buy a second-hand 4/4S for an iTouch, iMessage, and FaceTime if I get too much Skype Resistance though. They're cheaper than iPod Touch these days.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox