Hi all, been a while since I've posted anything but this story of my idiocy seemed too good not to share with you 5S owners

Last Tuesday night my fiancee and I had a few friends over to have some wine and play board games. Couple hours in to the game my fiancee (who was sitting next to me) reaches for a card and winds up knocking her glass of red wine over, spilling it all over my favorite jeans. In a panic I jump up from the table and run into the laundry room, taking my pants off in the process. Slam the jeans into the wash, throw the soap in.. whew, crisis hopefully averted. Toss on some sweats and get back to playing.

About 30 minutes later I instinctively go to check my phone and my brain realizes in that instant what I had done. Panic sets in. I tear arse into the laundry room and try to open the washing machine but it's in the spin cycle and the lid is locked. I'm spinning dials and flipping switches in a frantic attempt to open the dang thing but nothing is working. I have to wait until it comes to a complete stop.. torturous minutes pass. Finally it pops open and I'm hurling wet clothes out onto the floor looking for my jeans. When they emerge from the wash I see it.. hanging in the white pocket, the soaking wet form of my 5S. Slide in the hand, pull out the phone and there she is in all her dripping glory.

Never having had this happen to me before but knowing plenty from other people's horror stories I immediately reach for the rice and plunged the iPhone in. One of my buddies who was there that night with us happens to be a research chemist who offers to take my phone and put it in some industrial desiccant which is supposed to be much more powerful drying agent. At this point I'm figuring there's likely no point as it went through a FULL wash/spin cycle with soap.. I can't imagine in my wildest dreams it could survive no matter how dry it gets, but he insists.

Next day I meet up with him and he hands me a big plastic bag full of what looks like blue cat litter with my 5S in the middle and says leave it for a couple days which I do. Fast forward to Friday evening I get home from work. Approaching the bag nervously, I pull out the now extremely dry phone.. it felt like it had been laying in a desert. Press the power button and nothing just as I figured. Feeling dejected I sent a text to my chemist friend and told him the bad news. He asks me if I had tried plugging it in to a charger (which I hadn't thought of since it had at least 60% when it went through the wash). Having nothing to lose I connected up the ole lightning cable... POOF! A split second of red battery indicator, then the Apple boot screen!

A few seconds later my lock screen came up! After picking my jaw up from the floor I started to think, "ok there's got to be something broken on this phone.. camera.. speaker.. TouchID.. something", so I start testing everything out expecting each one to fail. TouchID - ok. Camera - ok. Buttons - ok. Speaker - working. Turns out, the only thing wrong with it is there are a few "bright" pixels on the upper part of the screen. They work fine, but when displaying white (or other bright colors) they are noticeably brighter than the surrounding pixels. Other than that, it's like it never happened.

I took it in to the Apple Store on Saturday morning to see about a possible screen repair but I found that they won't work on a water-damaged device (which makes perfect sense). My only option was the out-of-warranty replacement for $269 which I'll pass on until it actually dies.

So I've been using it since Friday night and no strange behavior at all. Hopefully it keeps working until the 6 comes out LOL
    04-14-2014 02:30 PM
    You were lucky! Glad it worked out for you though.
    04-14-2014 02:49 PM
    Sounds like a nightmare with a good outcome. Hopefully your luck holds out for you 😀
    04-14-2014 02:51 PM
    Glad it worked out for you.
    04-14-2014 03:12 PM
    Wow, you got very lucky!

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    04-14-2014 03:24 PM
    Wow, you were indeed lucky. I dropped my iPhone 5 into a sink of hot soapy water a few weeks back and it's kaput, so you got off quite lightly I think. Nice one!
    04-14-2014 03:34 PM
    Good deal
    04-14-2014 03:43 PM
    Wow, you got very lucky!

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    This .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.
    04-14-2014 04:30 PM
    Good story. Hope it keeps working fine for you.
    04-14-2014 04:58 PM
    Sounds like quite the anxiety attack

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    04-14-2014 05:54 PM
    You were really lucky. I imagine that you won't be trying to do that anytime soon. 😃
    04-14-2014 07:09 PM
    Great story! Glad it's ok!!

Posted via the Android iMore App!
    04-14-2014 08:19 PM
    Great story! Glad it's ok!!

Posted via the Android iMore App!
    Foo Fighters are wicked! ... Had to throw that in there.

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    04-14-2014 10:13 PM
    So cool
    Great devices iPhones are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-15-2014 01:41 PM
    great excuse to get an ip6 a year after the 5s
    04-15-2014 04:17 PM
    OMG. I know it's not a good feeling and I apologize in advance, but the way you wrote that was absolutely hilarious. However, I'm amazed the phone really worked after getting that drubbing in the washing machine. Only 8 lives left on that iphone. Glad it worked out.
    04-15-2014 09:44 PM
    What the heck!!!! iPhones are water proof and they do not advertise! lol.. Man, you are so lucky! Next time, just be careful when you are seated around your fiancee..
    04-15-2014 10:56 PM
    Where can I find that desiccant???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-16-2014 12:25 AM
    Maybe try a local shop to open it up and get any remaining water out .. I have had phones go into pools and work fine but still have water inside .. Glad it worked for you

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    04-16-2014 03:50 AM
    I don't know what it is about apple products, but they can flat out take a beating.

My last iOS device was a 4th fen iPod touch. Somehow,I managed to completely dunk it in water without noticing and left it there for a few minutes. After I found it, rather than worry about rice and whatnot,I just left it on the desk and started making plans to get a new one. After having it sit there for a day, I thought I might as well try and turn it on. The thing powered on and worked perfectly. Ended up giving to a friend when I got the iphone 4 as a replacement. That was back in early 2011 and the thing still works perfectly today.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    04-17-2014 07:41 AM
    Wooww! I thought Apple devices were fragile but I am wrong

04-17-2014 10:26 AM
    What a story man!!! You was very lucky and for sure iphone is a very well built phone!

04-19-2014 05:38 PM
    wow crazy.
    04-20-2014 08:44 PM
    That's intense.
    04-20-2014 11:11 PM