How long will the iPhone 5S last with its A7 64 Bit Processor?

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it will last longer than apple is willing to support due to them wanting people to buy new phones.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The original iPhone, which came out in ~2007, finally lost all support from Apple outside California in the summer of 2013, I think? So possibly service until 2019?

For iOS updates, I think people expect support to last through at least three major updates? So iOS 10, in 2016?

And as for AppleCare+, that's two years, which is the upgrade cycle that Apple wants us to be on.

Realistically, if you like being up to date on tech stuff, the iPhone will last longer than you will want to hang on to it.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be fine for 2 years or so if not longer. The A7 isn't even really pushed to its limits yet except for a few games which has more to do with ram than anything. It will easily be able to last as long as a contract. I feel like it could be a case of like the 3gs where it kept getting updates and chugging along even after it was no longer being sold. There is nothing really in the OS that challenges that processor and don't see them adding anything within the next version or two to change that.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The phone would run out of ram before the A7 would reached max performance.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Support wise I think the 5S may be in the 4-5 year range maybe 6. It's the first of a new line of 64 bit iPhones. So I think the 5S may have the longest legs of any previous iPhone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the support being about 5 years or so. Original iPhone lost support barely last year.

As far as iOS updates, I'd say iOS10 would be the last OS it sees.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Support wise I think the 5S may be in the 4-5 year range maybe 6. It's the first of a new line of 64 bit iPhones. So I think the 5S may have the longest legs of any previous iPhone.

I seriously doubt that. There will be advances in the next couple of years, and if advances in previous technology are indications, the iPhone 5s would last (at least for Apple) exactly what other models lasted. The iPhone 3Gs (2009) got its last update in 2012, the iPhone 4 (2010) will not be getting another update. Next year the iPhone 4s will get its last update. The following year, the 5, and subsequently the 5s. 64 bit or not, I don?t see that playing any role in the update cycle at least.

Changes that may come and as such affect the 5s, bigger screens, more RAM etc. Eventually the iPhone 5s would be incompatible with Apple?s product line, just as the 3Gs (very different screen resolution and connector) is, and the 4 and 4s are quickly becoming.

That is software update wise. Apple supporting it, I think it will be also just as any other model, which is longer than it gets OS updates. Anyone on this site probably won?t have the phone that long anyhow.
IMHO.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711