Anyone else currently using an Otter Defender on their 5S, are you having any trouble with it? It claims it's "dust-proof" but I find myself taking the case off daily, putting forth my best effort just to clean the screen protector that somehow accumulates dust between it and my screen. Can anyone chime in with similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    03-23-2014 01:13 PM
    Anyone else currently using an Otter Defender on their 5S, are you having any trouble with it? It claims it's "dust-proof" but I find myself taking the case off daily, putting forth my best effort just to clean the screen protector that somehow accumulates dust between it and my screen. Can anyone chime in with similar experiences?

I had the same problem so I exchanged mine for a real dust proof phone case, a Lifeproof.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    03-23-2014 01:17 PM
    I had the same problem so I exchanged mine for a real dust proof phone case, a Lifeproof.
    Really wish I could do the same. As stubborn and stereotypical as my opinion may come off as, I can't stand the appearance of a Lifeproof.

03-23-2014 01:23 PM
    Really wish I could do the same. As stubborn and stereotypical as my opinion may come off as, I can't stand the appearance of a Lifeproof.

The LP is lighter and thinner. You won't have anymore dust issues. Your choice though. Depends what important to you.
    03-23-2014 01:35 PM
    The LP is lighter and thinner. You won't have anymore dust issues. Your choice though. Depends what important to you.
    It's also a lot more expensive. :/ I got my defender, sealed on eBay for $11.

03-23-2014 01:41 PM

Those are knock offs buddy. They even get the packaging to be exact.
    03-23-2014 01:51 PM
    Those are knock offs buddy. They even get the packaging to be exact.
    Wasn't a knock off. Compared perfectly with a friends, I know everyone says it but I know it's legitimate. I don't see myself spending $80 or however much it is for a Lifeproof in the near future.

03-23-2014 01:56 PM
    I have the same issue with my brothers defender for his 5c that we bought from best buy. Seems like they don't make them like they used to, but anyway. The screen protector wasn't flat on the screen and dust was getting in, plus it felt lousy to tap on. My solution? Press out the included screen protector, clean off the adhesive (which proved to be a pretty large pita), and affix my own screen protector to the phone. Seems to be much better, and I have no issues with fit or finish. He stated how much clearer the screen looked and it isn't getting dirty anymore.

Sent from my Space Gray 16 GB AT&T iPad Air using iMore Forums
    ajl likes this.
    03-23-2014 02:08 PM

Yeah, a fake case.

Wasn't a knock off. Compared perfectly with a friends, I know everyone says it but I know it's legitimate. I don't see myself spending $80 or however much it is for a Lifeproof in the near future.
    Uh hu...... Lol!

Try getting it replaced by Otterbox.
    03-23-2014 08:14 PM
    Just changed over to the magpul bump case with a screen protector. I have the lifeproof nuud and otterbox defender and I like this better honestly

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    03-23-2014 08:33 PM
    Maybe give the otterbox preserver a try? Similar to the defender in appearance and waterproof like the lifeproof case. I believe otterbox bought lifeproof and this case is the result. I love mine.
    03-24-2014 06:27 AM

If the price is too goo to be true, it's a knock off. People can't buy and sell real ones at that price. Even otterbox warns about buying from eBay. It's a knockoff. Believe what you want.
    03-25-2014 12:54 AM
    Yeah, a fake case.

Uh hu...... Lol!

Try getting it replaced by Otterbox.
    exactly.
    03-25-2014 12:54 AM
    Maybe give the otterbox preserver a try? Similar to the defender in appearance and waterproof like the lifeproof case. I believe otterbox bought lifeproof and this case is the result. I love mine.
    Two questions about the Preserver. Does it have a grippy type finish or is it slippery when wet? And how is the speaker sound?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    03-25-2014 12:59 AM
    Two questions about the Preserver. Does it have a grippy type finish or is it slippery when wet? And how is the speaker sound?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    It is a smoother finish than the defender but it's still has a comfortable grip. I haven't noticed any issues with the speaker.
    cyberpaw likes this.
    03-25-2014 05:47 AM
    03-25-2014 11:58 AM
    I have a Lifeproof Fre sitting in a drawer just in case one of my 5s' needs that level of protection but so far all the other decent cases and the tempered glass sp's have done the job to aplomb.

via the tablet
    Jrome.brooks likes this.
    03-25-2014 04:32 PM
    It doesn't come with a holster, and a holster is not available from otter. This was the deal breaker for me.

I use a defender, and it is great. I do have to take the case off from time to time to clean the screen protector, but I'm not too anal and do this only rarely. I use a defender on my iPad 4 too.

I was really hoping for a more waterproof case. I keep my phone in my pocket while training on my bicycle, and sweat and condensation get under the screen protector when it's really hot and humid.

I'll wait and see what is available when I get an iPhone 6. I like otter's customer service and hope they offer something I can use.

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.
    03-25-2014 09:38 PM
    It doesn't come with a holster, and a holster is not available from otter. This was the deal breaker for me.

I use a defender, and it is great. I do have to take the case off from time to time to clean the screen protector, but I'm not too anal and do this only rarely. I use a defender on my iPad 4 too.

I was really hoping for a more waterproof case. I keep my phone in my pocket while training on my bicycle, and sweat and condensation get under the screen protector when it's really hot and humid.

I'll wait and see what is available when I get an iPhone 6. I like otter's customer service and hope they offer something I can use.

I would like to think that in the near future some sort of a holster would become available but if you are carrying in your pocket why do you need a belt clip?
    03-25-2014 09:55 PM
    I carry it in my jersey pocket while riding, and a pocket when I have a coat or jacket on, but I prefer the holster when in casual clothes that generally don't have a lot of pockets.

03-26-2014 08:02 PM
    Understood
    03-26-2014 08:32 PM
    Understood
    On impulse, I did pick up one of the new Otterbox Preservers despite it not having a holster. I do like it. The only issue that I have with it thus far is that it won't work with one of my aftermarket power cords because the plug won't fit into the aperture on the case. I also had the re-input my fingerprints to get the sensor to work better.

The fingerprint sensor worked a little better with the Defender, but the Defender sensor hole isn't covered with the waterproof tape and is larger.

I typically use 3 fingerprint slots for my thumb and two for my index finger, and I've never had any problems with it not working. Either the tape cover on the Preserver interferes a little, of the hole is smaller and it's more difficult for my phone to recognize my fingerprint. But it does work pretty well now that I've reimput my fingerprints with the new case on.

Last edited by djg21; 04-04-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    04-02-2014 09:24 PM
    Groupon has the defender case for a decent price

04-03-2014 07:40 PM
    I picked one up and really like it
    04-06-2014 03:55 PM
    Call Otterbox and ask them, there's a seriel number they can tell you where to look and read off to them, the beauty of Otterbox is that they come with a LIFETIME warranty unless its a fugaze
    04-11-2014 01:50 PM
26 12