Otterbox Defender

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else currently using an Otter Defender on their 5S, are you having any trouble with it? It claims it's "dust-proof" but I find myself taking the case off daily, putting forth my best effort just to clean the screen protector that somehow accumulates dust between it and my screen. Can anyone chime in with similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else currently using an Otter Defender on their 5S, are you having any trouble with it? It claims it's "dust-proof" but I find myself taking the case off daily, putting forth my best effort just to clean the screen protector that somehow accumulates dust between it and my screen. Can anyone chime in with similar experiences?

I had the same problem so I exchanged mine for a real dust proof phone case, a Lifeproof.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem so I exchanged mine for a real dust proof phone case, a Lifeproof.

Really wish I could do the same. As stubborn and stereotypical as my opinion may come off as, I can't stand the appearance of a Lifeproof.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Really wish I could do the same. As stubborn and stereotypical as my opinion may come off as, I can't stand the appearance of a Lifeproof.

The LP is lighter and thinner. You won't have anymore dust issues. Your choice though. Depends what important to you.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The LP is lighter and thinner. You won't have anymore dust issues. Your choice though. Depends what important to you.

It's also a lot more expensive. :/ I got my defender, sealed on eBay for $11.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Those are knock offs buddy. They even get the packaging to be exact.

Wasn't a knock off. Compared perfectly with a friends, I know everyone says it but I know it's legitimate. I don't see myself spending $80 or however much it is for a Lifeproof in the near future.

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with my brothers defender for his 5c that we bought from best buy. Seems like they don't make them like they used to, but anyway. The screen protector wasn't flat on the screen and dust was getting in, plus it felt lousy to tap on. My solution? Press out the included screen protector, clean off the adhesive (which proved to be a pretty large pita), and affix my own screen protector to the phone. Seems to be much better, and I have no issues with fit or finish. He stated how much clearer the screen looked and it isn't getting dirty anymore.

Sent from my Space Gray 16 GB AT&T iPad Air using iMore Forums

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It's also a lot more expensive. :/ I got my defender, sealed on eBay for $11.

Yeah, a fake case.

Wasn't a knock off. Compared perfectly with a friends, I know everyone says it but I know it's legitimate. I don't see myself spending $80 or however much it is for a Lifeproof in the near future.

Uh hu...... Lol!

Try getting it replaced by Otterbox.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Just changed over to the magpul bump case with a screen protector. I have the lifeproof nuud and otterbox defender and I like this better honestly

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Smokeless Joe

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe give the otterbox preserver a try? Similar to the defender in appearance and waterproof like the lifeproof case. I believe otterbox bought lifeproof and this case is the result. I love mine.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

If the price is too goo to be true, it's a knock off. People can't buy and sell real ones at that price. Even otterbox warns about buying from eBay. It's a knockoff. Believe what you want.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe give the otterbox preserver a try? Similar to the defender in appearance and waterproof like the lifeproof case. I believe otterbox bought lifeproof and this case is the result. I love mine.

Two questions about the Preserver. Does it have a grippy type finish or is it slippery when wet? And how is the speaker sound?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Smokeless Joe

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Two questions about the Preserver. Does it have a grippy type finish or is it slippery when wet? And how is the speaker sound?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

It is a smoother finish than the defender but it's still has a comfortable grip. I haven't noticed any issues with the speaker.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lifeproof Fre sitting in a drawer just in case one of my 5s' needs that level of protection but so far all the other decent cases and the tempered glass sp's have done the job to aplomb.

via the tablet

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't come with a holster, and a holster is not available from otter. This was the deal breaker for me.

I use a defender, and it is great. I do have to take the case off from time to time to clean the screen protector, but I'm not too anal and do this only rarely. I use a defender on my iPad 4 too.

I was really hoping for a more waterproof case. I keep my phone in my pocket while training on my bicycle, and sweat and condensation get under the screen protector when it's really hot and humid.

I'll wait and see what is available when I get an iPhone 6. I like otter's customer service and hope they offer something I can use.

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

Smokeless Joe

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't come with a holster, and a holster is not available from otter. This was the deal breaker for me.

I use a defender, and it is great. I do have to take the case off from time to time to clean the screen protector, but I'm not too anal and do this only rarely. I use a defender on my iPad 4 too.

I was really hoping for a more waterproof case. I keep my phone in my pocket while training on my bicycle, and sweat and condensation get under the screen protector when it's really hot and humid.

I'll wait and see what is available when I get an iPhone 6. I like otter's customer service and hope they offer something I can use.

I would like to think that in the near future some sort of a holster would become available but if you are carrying in your pocket why do you need a belt clip?

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I carry it in my jersey pocket while riding, and a pocket when I have a coat or jacket on, but I prefer the holster when in casual clothes that generally don't have a lot of pockets.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal