I've had enough of the 5S

Star-Lord

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The 5S has been nothing but problem after problem.

I've had problems with reception. My 5S will literally drop from LTE to 2G at random. My texts are arriving late, calls are not getting through and going straight to voice. Data is **** poor bad. Seriously I've seen it jump from 60dbm up to 132dbm, but most of the time it stays between 90-116dbm

Don't even get me started on the frequent crashes of iOS 7.

Never had these problems out the 4S.

I'm on my second warranty replacement.

I'm not sure if it's network related or not but I'll be contacting sprint tomorrow to see if there's any network issues.

And not trying to be rude but spare me the usual "I never had that problem before" because it's wing reported on a lot of sites.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I've had problems with reception. My 5S will literally drop from LTE to 2G at random. My texts are arriving late, calls are not getting through and going straight to voice. Data is **** poor bad. Seriously I've seen it jump from 60dbm up to 132dbm, but most of the time it stays between 90-116dbm

I'm not sure if it's network related or not but I'll be contacting sprint tomorrow to see if there's any network issues.

And not trying to be rude but spare me the usual "I never had that problem before" because it's wing reported on a lot of sites.

I hate that you're having all the issues but it seems like your problem is Sprint. I was with them for a long time and never had issues, then all of a sudden my service became really crappy and they told me it was because they were updating their towers in my area and that would take about 5 months to finish. Needless to say, I switched to Verizon the day they told me that mess and haven't looked back. I'm not sure what area you live in but I guarantee its not the phone.

As far as the iOS7 crashes go, make sure your phone is updated to the latest version, 7.0.6. It fixed a lot of bugs and I haven't heard many people complaining of reboots with this version. I hope your issues are resolved very soon...Good Luck!!!

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Have the 5s and Sprint, and haven't had any issues since they finished updating the towers. But Sprint is very hit or miss depending on area.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Not the phone it's the service big difference

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Star-Lord

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I know the service sucks, but I've tested other phones and they had no problems. I even tested a Motorola phone and that thing was able to latch onto a signal with zero problem.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I know the service sucks, but I've tested other phones and they had no problems. I even tested a Motorola phone and that thing was able to latch onto a signal with zero problem.

You need to reset your Network settings it seems your 5s wasn't set up correctly

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The issues you are listing are definitely sprint problems, I've seen this a lot and people always thinks it's the hardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iOS 7.1 should be available to the general public soon. Some rumors indicate "any day now". Maybe the issues you are having will be fixed after updating to iOS 7.1. If you can wait until then to find out, great. If not, that's understandable, too. Do you have a case on your iPhone 5S? Does the problem persist when you remove the case, if applicable?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a Sprint issue except for iOS crashes.
Call Sprint and see if they are doing any tower work in your area.
Ever since the bad ice storm we had in Philly weeks ago I don't get LTE in the house. Not sure if it's related.

I set up several mail notifications for texts and usually I get the mail notifications before the text itself.

Early last summer when I still had 4S for a few weeks I had a poor signal in the house and sometimes wouldn't get calls but Sprint was doing some tower work during this time. Signal has been great since them.

Sprint is still on the come up as far as LTE is concerned only 3-4 years ago they were committed to WiMAX.
Hopefully they are going to improve over time.
From 2000 to 2010 I had ATT and where I lived was a ATT dead zone. Not a rural area but a large neighborhood in Philadelphia. I had to go outside to make calls. It didn't improve until around late 2008. But It did improve.

Star-Lord

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I do have a case on it but that shouldn't be any reason for calls and texts not going through.

I'll contact sprint and see what's going on. I've reset settings and did a service update.

I'm absolutely furious right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I do have a case on it but that shouldn't be any reason for calls and texts not going through.
You're right. It shouldn't have any effect whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

I'll contact sprint and see what's going on. I've reset settings and did a service update.
Great

I'm absolutely furious right now.
That's understandable, and I hope the problem gets fixed soon.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Aside from the crashes, pretty sure it's a Sprint issue. Sprint issues really depend on the area you're in. Resetting the network should help.

So not to increase your fury, I won't say I've never had the problem but...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you're having so many issues. Most of your problems are with Sprint. I have friends where I live and they've been having issues with their Sprint service as well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
LoL! What do you want us to do? Rally behind you because YOU are having issues with the phone that some/many/all of us haven't? It's a consumer device, some will inevitably have issues...the beauty of Apple's products is that MOST of their consumers don't experience this stuff, which is why the products come so highly regarded and remain so popular.

And then we get into your actual complaints...which almost all seem like network issues. You want to see common complaints? Go look at Sprint's service in relation to ANY phone, much less the iPhone. Sprint is a terrible carrier...this is why they have to give ridiculous incentives to get people to actually sign up with them. I'd hazard to guess that a good majority of Sprint customers are somewhat to completely unhappy with what they get...network speeds, connection quality, etc etc etc. They are quite clearly one of the bottom feeder carriers...I'm actually surprised they carry most of the smart phones on the market, considering how terrible and spotty their LTE network is.

Take a breath and realize that while you might read about the same issues you're experiencing...it's because most people don't sit and post all day about how good their service is, they just enjoy using it. You're having issues...the iPhone doesn't have common issues like you describe that are solely reflective of the device, they are common issues people have with every device with either a lack luster carrier or in an area where the carrier network has poor performance.

Could you have a bad device? Sure! You've had two so the chances are probably pretty low, but not impossible. In that case, you're part of a very small minority and that sucks, but hopefully Apple will be able to fix it for you (if the device is the issue)...like most of us have reflected though, you're most likely looking at a carrier issue because Sprint, for lack of better term, sucks.

Star-Lord

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have some backup phones, so I'll give those a try and see if they work.

I know sprint network sucks but even at the worst I had no problem with the 4s connecting and maintaining reception. Apparently it's not just sprint but several other carriers but the location varies like you several of you said.

LoL! What do you want us to do? Rally behind you because YOU are having issues with the phone that some/many/all of us haven't? It's a consumer device, some will inevitably have issues...the beauty of Apple's products is that MOST of their consumers don't experience this stuff, which is why the products come so highly regarded and remain so popular.

And then we get into your actual complaints...which almost all seem like network issues. You want to see common complaints? Go look at Sprint's service in relation to ANY phone, much less the iPhone. Sprint is a terrible carrier...this is why they have to give ridiculous incentives to get people to actually sign up with them. I'd hazard to guess that a good majority of Sprint customers are somewhat to completely unhappy with what they get...network speeds, connection quality, etc etc etc. They are quite clearly one of the bottom feeder carriers...I'm actually surprised they carry most of the smart phones on the market, considering how terrible and spotty their LTE network is.

Take a breath and realize that while you might read about the same issues you're experiencing...it's because most people don't sit and post all day about how good their service is, they just enjoy using it. You're having issues...the iPhone doesn't have common issues like you describe that are solely reflective of the device, they are common issues people have with every device with either a lack luster carrier or in an area where the carrier network has poor performance.

Could you have a bad device? Sure! You've had two so the chances are probably pretty low, but not impossible. In that case, you're part of a very small minority and that sucks, but hopefully Apple will be able to fix it for you (if the device is the issue)...like most of us have reflected though, you're most likely looking at a carrier issue because Sprint, for lack of better term, sucks.

I'm not trying to rally anything. I'm just trying to see if it's a problem with the phone or the network.

Again I know sprint sucks but as I said before I have other phones that had no problem connecting to the network. 5s has been doing nothing but giving me issues left and right.

If you're paying $80/month + fees and taxes, you'd be pissed to.

I'm not asking for any sympathy or anything. I'm just trying to see what's going on with my service and get it resolved.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying to rally anything. I'm just trying to see if it's a problem with the phone or the network.

Again I know sprint sucks but as I said before I have other phones that had no problem connecting to the network. 5s has been doing nothing but giving me issues left and right.

I'm not asking for any sympathy or anything. I'm just trying to see what's going on with my service and get it resolved.

I get what you're saying, and sure, I'd be pissed too if I was having all kinds of issues with my service. The thing is, before you focus your targets incorrectly in the wrong direction...take a moment and think logically about it. If most people represent their experience with the iPhone positively...but most people represent their experience with Sprint negatively...what are the chances that Sprint is the issue? ESPECIALLY after swapping out and having the same issues on a second device? You're either the most randomly unlucky person ever, or...it's Sprint...clearly.

I hope it gets resolved too...because it sucks that you have such an awesome device that you're not able to use properly. Unfortunately, I think in order to properly resolve this, you're going to have to switch to a different carrier. Also, you want to know why the 4S didn't have these issues? The 4S was still focused on 3G technology...which Sprint did MUCH better than LTE, which it fails hard at.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have some backup phones, so I'll give those a try and see if they work.

I know sprint network sucks but even at the worst I had no problem with the 4s connecting and maintaining reception. Apparently it's not just sprint but several other carriers but the location varies like you several of you said.

You say your 4s has no problems so this could be a rare hardware issue or as I mentioned earlier a poor network setup in any case make a trip to sprint to rule them out then to the Apple store that's what I would do before condemning a great device like the iPhone 5s and for your info a case can cause a lot of problems especially if it has metal type bumpers

I also have to defend Sprint as a carrier I've been with them for over a decade and they certainly have there issues but it works great in my area and there Customer service as well as there Website and Mobile app are very good

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I have ever known one person who has been happy with Sprint. Like everyone has stated above, that seems to be your issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro