The iPhone 5s M7 chip counts your steps even after the battery dies

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting. I never let my phone die so it doesn't bother me & if it does die, I doubt I would have an issue with the thing still counting steps. In the day and age we live in, I' sure someone is able to keep tabs on us through one of the many devices we carry. It takes way too much energy to worry about that.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Don't really care, I have frequent locations turned on to this pales in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Actually I would certainly NOT want that to happen no matter what...Privacy breach maybe in logical sense? xD look I turned the phone "off" :| and it is tracking my steps WTF

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Actually I would certainly NOT want that to happen no matter what...Privacy breach maybe in logical sense? xD look I turned the phone "off" :| and it is tracking my steps WTF

Anyone who wouldn't want the phone to track their steps with the phone off most likely doesn't want their steps tracked, period. On or off.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who wouldn't want the phone to track their steps with the phone off most likely doesn't want their steps tracked, period. On or off.

No the assumption is incorrect...
It is not just about steps..it is kinda freaky/odd to have steps tracked like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't it be equally as "freaky/odd" to have steps tracked like that even with the phone on?

NO....You are not getting it..Actually I launch an app to have steps tracked,isn't that the case though? and on another side my phone is off and My steps are being tracked,WHat the holly f**k...and even if steps are tracked all the time (Idk about how 5S works thats why I am trying to be as logical to give both concepts),I actually "KNOW" that they are tracked,Why Apple Didn't told that to customers,why didn't they explained that in their white-paper etc or even after the launch that "It CAN track steps with certain apps even when the phone is off" :| WHY?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
NO....You are not getting it..Actually I launch an app to have steps tracked,isn't that the case though? and on another side my phone is off and My steps are being tracked,WHat the holly f**k...and even if steps are tracked all the time (Idk about how 5S works thats why I am trying to be as logical to give both concepts),I actually "KNOW" that they are tracked,Why Apple Didn't told that to customers,why didn't they explained that in their white-paper etc or even after the launch that "It CAN track steps with certain apps even when the phone is off" :| WHY?

The point of the M7 chip, especially for fitness apps, is that they can track your movements such as steps while the app is running in the background. That's kind of what the big deal about it is as opposed to, for example, when you had to keep the Nike+ app open while you were exercising. Your phone could be just sitting on your nightstand and the M7 knows to not keep looking for signal strength because it has tracked your usage and how often you leave your phone doing nothing at certain times of the day so that it won't waste battery. Apple made it very clear.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The point of the M7 chip, especially for fitness apps, is that they can track your movements such as steps while the app is running in the background. That's kind of what the big deal about it is as opposed to, for example, when you had to keep the Nike+ app open while you were exercising. Your phone could be just sitting on your nightstand and the M7 knows to not keep looking for signal strength because it has tracked your usage and how often you leave your phone doing nothing at certain times of the day so that it won't waste battery. Apple made it very clear.

Apple didn't say it will keep tracking even with the phone off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
From Wikipedia

"The Apple M7 co-processor collects, processes and stores sensor data even if the device is asleep, and applications can retrieve data when the device is powered up again. This will reduce power draw of the device and save battery life.[5]

The M7 is accessible to applications through the Core Motion API in iOS 7, so it will, for example, allow fitness apps that track physical activity and access data from the M7 without constantly engaging the main A7 CPU. It will enable applications to be aware of what type of movement the user is experiencing, such as driving, walking, running or sleeping.[6][7][8] Another application could be the ability to do indoor tracking and mapping.[9]"

The M7 just collects sensor data the M7 is not a sensor. I believe only a sensor can track movement.
Without the M7 movement can be tracked but the power draw would be solely on the A7.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
From Wikipedia

"The Apple M7 co-processor collects, processes and stores sensor data even if the device is asleep, and applications can retrieve data when the device is powered up again. This will reduce power draw of the device and save battery life.[5]

The M7 is accessible to applications through the Core Motion API in iOS 7, so it will, for example, allow fitness apps that track physical activity and access data from the M7 without constantly engaging the main A7 CPU. It will enable applications to be aware of what type of movement the user is experiencing, such as driving, walking, running or sleeping.[6][7][8] Another application could be the ability to do indoor tracking and mapping.[9]"

The M7 just collects sensor data the M7 is not a sensor. I believe only a sensor can track movement.
Without the M7 movement can be tracked but the power draw would be solely on the A7.

OOPS a fail...for me to bash Apple LOL xD

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Apparently it's more power efficient for the M7 to collect the sensor data than have the A7 do it.

I don't know if the iPhone has something similar to a pram battery in a Mac that holds keeps the clock running and such but apparently if the main battery is discharged the sensors are working if the can still track steps.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think that is a little farfetch. If you have nothing to hide, don't worry about it. It could be a chip in your license. :rotfl:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234