Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Here's a list of the 31 apps pre-installed on my Samsung Note 3 that I do not use. In the vast majority of cases, i have never even opened the apps. Whilst I realise and understand that some of them are the only iteration of a particular function, like the messages app, I prefer to use the Android equivalent of BiteSMS anyway.

In almost all of the below apps, I have disabled them as I am not rooted on that device.

Action Memo
Flipboard
S Health
S Note
S Planner
S Translator
Scrapbook
Sketchbook
Trip Advisor
Google Drive
Evernote
Google+
Hangouts
Internet
Chrome
Kid Mode
Knox
LINE
Parent Dashboard
Play Books
Play Games
Play Movies & TV
Play Music
Play Newsstand
S Voice
Samsung Hub
Samsung Link
Story Album
WatchON

My iPhone still had a list of apps that were pre-installed that I never used but the list had less than half a dozen apps on it. The bloat on my iPhone is far and away less than on either of my Android devices. My HTC is rooted and I can't remember which apps were pre-installed as I removed some of them using a handy spreadsheet I found on XDA. Even though I use Nova Prime Launcher on both my HTC and Note, Sense is easily superior to Touchwiz, in my opinion.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's a list of the 31 apps pre-installed on my Samsung Note 3 that I do not use. In the vast majority of cases, i have never even opened the apps. Whilst I realise and understand that some of them are the only iteration of a particular function, like the messages app, I prefer to use the Android equivalent of BiteSMS anyway.

In almost all of the below apps, I have disabled them as I am not rooted on that device.

Action Memo
Flipboard
S Health
S Note
S Planner
S Translator
Scrapbook
Sketchbook
Trip Advisor
Google Drive
Evernote
Google+
Hangouts
Internet
Chrome
Kid Mode
Knox
LINE
Parent Dashboard
Play Books
Play Games
Play Movies & TV
Play Music
Play Newsstand
S Voice
Samsung Hub
Samsung Link
Story Album
WatchON

My iPhone still had a list of apps that were pre-installed that I never used but the list had less than half a dozen apps on it. The bloat on my iPhone is far and away less than on either of my Android devices. My HTC is rooted and I can't remember which apps were pre-installed as I removed some of them using a handy spreadsheet I found on XDA. Even though I use Nova Prime Launcher on both my HTC and Note, Sense is easily superior to Touchwiz, in my opinion.

While I see your point thoroughly, what is one man's bloat is another's gummi bears (gotta love gummi bears).

via that gPad 📱

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
While I see your point thoroughly, what is one man's bloat is another's gummi bears (gotta love gummi bears).

via that gPad ��

Oh yes for sure. It would be nice to have the option to remove them though for those that don't want them.

(I also love Gummi bears!)

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes for sure. It would be nice to have the option to remove them though for those that don't want them.

(I also love Gummi bears!)

Yeah, you gotta root to be able to actually delete that stuff. You should check in with Septembersrain#AC. She has a Note 3 and I think she mentioned she rooted it.

via that gPad 📱

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you gotta root to be able to actually delete that stuff. You should check in with Septembersrain#AC. She has a Note 3 and I think she mentioned she rooted it.

via that gPad ��

My HTC and my Galaxy S2 are rooted and my Note 3 isn't. To be honest I like it that way as I have one Android device to test rooted stuff and one to use the apps that won't run on a rooted device (Like some TV services here in the UK).

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My HTC and my Galaxy S2 are rooted and my Note 3 isn't. To be honest I like it that way as I have one Android device to test rooted stuff and one to use the apps that won't run on a rooted device (Like some TV services here in the UK).

Ahhh...makes perfect sense.

via that gPad 📱

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

via that gPad 📱

I've not only rooted it but I've got a custom recovery (TWRP) and a Kit Kat ROM loaded (Jedi). ^_^

I was always heavily into modding my Android phones.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, certain apps can get borked by root. However there are methods of rooting for the Note 3 that can avoid tripping Knox. It may actually do the same for borking apps.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Action Memo
Flipboard
S Health
S Note
S Planner
S Translator
Scrapbook
Sketchbook
Trip Advisor
Google Drive
Evernote
Google+
Hangouts
Internet
Chrome
Kid Mode
Knox
LINE
Parent Dashboard
Play Books
Play Games
Play Movies & TV
Play Music
Play Newsstand
S Voice
Samsung Hub
Samsung Link
Story Album
WatchON

I hope this post isn't serious?

What you're doing is the same as removing these from an iPhone:

Safari
Messages/iMessage
iTune Store/iBook/Newsstand
Photos/Photo Stream
Game Center
Reminders
Notes
Memo
AirPlay/AirDrop
Siri
Health kit
AirPlay
AirDrop
iCloud Drive

See how that sounds? That's how your post sounds. Ridiculous...

Additionally, learn to distinguish between a full app preload and a link to an installer that isn't actually an app on the device. Several of the apps you mentioned aren't actually installed on Samsung devices. They just put the link there to set up permissions since the full all upgrades the link:

Knox
Sketchbook
S Translator
Story Album
Trip Advisor

Those are all links, not full apps in the FW.

You listed all the stock Browsers and SMS/MMS apps on the phone.

You listed WatchOn, which is a custom version of Peel developed to take advantage of the IR blaster which works fairly flawlessly.

You listed Google entire media ecosystem which actually is useful for people who aren't knee deep in Apple's when they get the device.

This cannot be taken seriously.

LINE, Evernote, Parent Dashboard, Kid's Mode aren't on Notes here in any form - not ad a preload anyways.

gynuvuru.jpg

There isn't much else so I'll only post this screen. Yellow is from Verizon. Green is Google and most users will not disable those Google Apps. Pink is Samsung. Note the Gear manager icon. It has a Windows-like Link tag on it that means the app is actually somewhere else. Not on the phone and if you click it it will ask if you want to install it. Many of Samsung preload are like that. They actually have paired down on preload. The presence of the icon doesn't necessitate the app be baked in, clearly.

Also note the absence of many of the apps you listed.

The carrier bloat is a much bigger issue. Instead. You want people to believe you either neutered the phone into uselessness or replaced a bunch if stock apps with 3rd part alternatives - the latter of which isn't even possible on an iPhone [where the user experience crumbles as you switch to more and more third party apps due to the inability to set app defaults].

This cannot be taken seriously. If I wanted to do that to an iPhone (not possible, theoretical) people would ask me "why are you even getting the phone."

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Took my iPhone and all my accessories back to Best Buy. Just tired of using the Same thing. For the past several years I've been using Apple. Time for a change. Moved to the Note 3. Really really really love it. Thanks for all the support and help you have given me

My Black 3

iPhone 6 and iOS 8 soon

It's time to come back buddy

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I hope this post isn't serious?

What you're doing is the same as removing these from an iPhone:

Safari
Messages/iMessage
Photos/Photo Stream
Game Center
Reminders
Notes
Memo
AirPlay/AirDrop
Siri
Health kit
AirPlay
AirDrop
iCloud Drive

See how that sounds? That's how your post sounds. Ridiculous...

Additionally, learn to distinguish between a full app preload and a link to an installer that isn't actually an app on the device. Several of the apps you mentioned aren't actually installed on Samsung devices. They just put the link there to set up permissions since the full all upgrades the link:

Knox
Sketchbook
S Translator
Story Album
Trip Advisor

Those are all links, not full apps in the FW.

You listed all the stock Browsers and SMS/MMS apps on the phone.

You listed WatchOn, which is a custom version of Peel developed to take advantage of the IR blaster which works fairly flawlessly.

You listed Google entire media ecosystem which actually is useful for people who aren't knee deep in Apple's when they get the device.

This cannot be taken seriously.

LINE, Evernote, Parent Dashboard, Kid's Mode aren't on Notes here in any form - not ad a preload anyways.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/09/gynuvuru.jpg

There isn't much else so I'll only post this screen. Yellow is from Verizon. Green is Google and most users will not disable those Google Apps. Pink is Samsung. Note the Gear manager icon. It has a Windows-like Link tag on it that means the app is actually somewhere else. Not on the phone and if you click it it will ask if you want to install it. Many of Samsung preload are like that. They actually have paired down on preload. The presence of the icon doesn't necessitate the app be baked in, clearly.

Also note the absence of many of the apps you listed.

The carrier bloat is a much bigger issue. Instead. You want people to believe you either neutered the phone into uselessness or replaced a bunch if stock apps with 3rd part alternatives - the latter of which isn't even possible on an iPhone [where the user experience crumbles as you switch to more and more third party apps due to the inability to set app defaults].

This cannot be taken seriously. If I wanted to do that to an iPhone (not possible, theoretical) people would ask me "why are you even getting the phone."

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Thank you for your candid post. Whilst I understand your viewpoint, I wholeheartedly disagree with almost everything you have posted. Let me clarify a bit more in hte hopes it will help explain my point of view, which may not have been clear in my first post.

To pick a few examples:

I dislike Evernote and S Note but I do like the iPhone Notes app.

I dislike Chrome and the stock Internet app on my old (now thankfully sold Note). However, I also dislike Safari, so have replaced it with another browser. If I don't like an app, I will search out an alternative where possible (note: Where possible are the key words here). For reference, I don't like Chrome on iOS either.

On my iPhone, Trip Adviser is optional. On my Note, it wasn't. Why?

With regards to your comment about Knox, Sketchbook et al, why even bother putting a link there in the first place? I will admit to never having opened the apps, as I clearly said in the first line of my post, so not knowing the difference between an app and an install is entirely forgiveable in my opinion. Your comment of 'learn to distinguish' is unhelpful, insulting and colours your entire post.

You mention the following apps:

Safari
Messages/iMessage
Photos/Photo Stream
Game Center
Reminders
Notes
Memo
AirPlay/AirDrop
Siri
Health kit
iCloud Drive

Apart form listing Airplay and Airdrop twice, which i've helpfully removed for you, I have highlighted in bold the apps on that list that I use. Of the others, I care not one jot about them.

Because some of the apps aren't listed on your device, does not mean they are not baked into mine. We are in different countries with different devices and different carriers. Please don't generalise. My Note 3 was bought unlocked, by the way.

Also, I jailbroke my iPhone, which means I CAN use third party apps instead of the stock ones, like Messages and Safari, and even set up defaults so that links open in the browser of my choice instead of Safari too.

If you are going to respond, I would humbly ask that you read back everything you type first just to make sure you aren't coming across as antagonistic. I would much rather discuss this with someone who isn't trying to get a rise out of me. Thanks for your understanding. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox