the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
For those that don't like Samsung. May I ask why? The Samsung product is a distant second only to Apple in the US, but a solid second in sales in the US.
View attachment 51028

Their corny/dishonest marketing. Gross design. And bloat ware/gimmicky unusual features that take up 8GB of storage which points back to my first gripe with them.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Their corny/dishonest marketing. Gross design. And bloat ware/gimmicky unusual features that take up 8GB of storage which points back to my first gripe with them.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Sound like normal business pratice in the smartphone world to me. If I'm not mistaken, all smartphones have some sorta bloat ware, some more than others.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
For those that don't like Samsung. May I ask why? The Samsung product is a distant second only to Apple in the US, but a solid second in sales in the US.

My only issue with Samsung has been some of the commercials that while targeted at me as an Apple user, insinuate that I am a hipster/sheep who is satisfied with a lesser product. To me, I would think if you are trying to sell your phone to me, you wouldn't begin by insulting me.

But once I get past that, I appreciate their products and what they have done.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I fixed your quote to be more accurate. iPhones have zero bloat on them. Compare that to any non-Nexus Android phone, carrier/manufacturer bloat galore.

This is not exactaly true, but then again I guess it depends on what you consider to be "bloat ware"
Edit; In the future I would appriciate if you wouldn't "fix" my quotes.

Last edited:

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Lag
Wifi issues
Camera (processing)
Organization
Touch wiz
Not as smooth
No iMessage or FaceTime
Uses to much data
Call quality

Tapped out on my GOLD 5S

To add to that, various SIM problems, GPS taking up far more battery than in an IPhone, problems with SDcards...

Battery life poor on a Nexus 5.

The G2 and Note 3s basically needing far greater battery capacity to compensate for the (poorer) battery management in Android.

Speaking as one who went from iPhone, to being all in on Android (had both a Galaxy S2 and Asus TF300), while being an ardent evangelist of its features, to crawling back to iOS again, I can agree with all of these points (well, didn't use iMessage/Facetime on my iPhone 3G, but yes to the rest).

When you look at a straight up feature list, Android tends to come out on top, which is what attracts a lot of people over. However more often than not, after using the phone and discovering that a lot of core issues aren't up to par (battery life/management, app selection/quality, responsiveness, stability, update schedule), turns out those extra features aren't worth having a degraded core phone experience.

While I would love for iOS to have a couple extra features like app intents and the ability to load SwiftKey, those are firmly in the 'nice to have' features list and to not take precedence over 'core' requirements that Apple does better (battery management, guaranteed updates, overall more stable, app selection/quality), not to mention that far superior ecosystem between their products. That being said, I always say that I'm just as productive on my 'less featured' iOS device as I was on my more feature rich Android devices.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. I think Apple has some bloat but less than other phones. You could easily consider Notes, Reminders, Compass, etc as "bloat" because you cannot delete them even if you use third-party replacements.

If we're going to consider stock apps as bloatware, then what's considered 'non-bloat' apps? Phone, texting, and app store, and that's it? Heck, by that definition even 'bloat-free' Nexus devices are full of bloat.

I don't consider stock apps that are considered default/expected on any smartphone these days to be bloat-ware. Especially ones that have been on there since the beginning. My definition of bloat ware is:

- all the carrier-specific apps that are loaded
- manufacturer-added apps that are loaded on top of the stock OS - granted, this applies specifically to Android since Apple is the only manufacturer of iOS.
- apps that are generally useless. While not everyone uses the reminders or compass apps, they do still work as intended without any attempt to plug you for more money like most carrier apps do

Even then, if we want to consider stock apps on iOS as bloat, I don't think anyone could argue that it is at a FAR lesser level than Android equivalents (Nexus devices notwithstanding)

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
iPad is at least $500 on top of at least $650 for an iPhone.

Or you can pay $700 for a Galaxy Note III and only carry one device around which isn't too big or too tiny.

I also don't see the point in using two devices that run the same operating system since neither will really allow you to do anything the other is incapable of (granted, there are OBVIOUS advantages to doing so as well).

Different strokes, etc.

I can easily make the case that one 5.5" device is both a compromised phone experience and a compromised tablet experience. It serves both roles, but doesn't do either that well.

- compromised phone experience due to lack of portability and the inability to do anything one-handed comfortably. i.e. not as mobile
- compromised tablet experience because even though 5.5" > 4", it's also much less than 8 or 10 inches.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Lag
Wifi issues
Camera (processing)
Organization
Touch wiz
Not as smooth
No iMessage or FaceTime
Uses to much data
Call quality

Tapped out on my GOLD 5S

I'm glad your enjoying you iPhone 5s once again. If I had to choose between my two smarthphones (5s and Note3), I would probably pick the 5s as well for several other reasons (accessories being #1, and my Wife being #2...ect.SMILE)
After putting my 5s and Note3 side by side and testing (between phone calls), I would say both phones are GREAT, the only thing lacking on my Note3 is iMessage and FaceTime. The only thing lacking on my 5s is screen size. I have no other issues that you mention for MY Note3.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Sound like normal business pratice in the smartphone world to me. If I'm not mistaken, all smartphones have some sorta bloat ware, some more than others.

What do you consider bloat ware on IOS 7?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
All that stuff I have in a folder called "stuff". I guess what some might consider "bloat ware" some might not. Its no biggie.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Listen Guys/Gals, I luv my 5s and it's not going anywhere. I just think to down talk a particular smartphone platform because you like the one you choose is a little imature. People like different or the same platform for many different reasons. Everyone uses smartphones for many different reasons and results (thats why their are so many different smartphones on the market) Mobile Nations, remember....thats it...PERIOD

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of what folks want to use as the official label, each phone/platform has some degree of pre-loaded software that some will consider as unnecessary. To me, the problem comes into play when those things are made difficult to be removed from your device. I don't like that I am forced to either jailbreak or root in order to get rid of them....particularly if they are resource hogs. But at the same time, I know it is a part of the game so I accept it.

The one thing that bothered me more than anything, was the 2 years I couldn't even put Newsstand in a folder. I will never understand that one.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Listen Guys/Gals, I luv my 5s and it's not going anywhere. I just think to down talk a particular smartphone platform because you like the one you choose is a little imature. People like different or the same platform for many different reasons. Everyone uses smartphones for many different reasons and results (thats why their are so many different smartphones on the market) Mobile Nations, remember....thats it...PERIOD

I'm not sure what you're upset about. It is entirely possible to have a discussion about why you prefer one smartphone platform over another and still be mature about it in the process. I don't think anyone is acting out of line in this thread, but rather being quite civil in the process.

This forum would be quite dead if we didn't discuss things we were not in complete agreement about.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're upset about. It is entirely possible to have a discussion about why you prefer one smartphone platform over another and still be mature about it in the process. I don't think anyone is acting out of line in this thread, but rather being quite civil in the process.

This forum would be quite dead if we didn't discuss things we were not in complete agreement about.

Not really upset. And I totally agree with you. It's just reading the things that are not true or at least havn't been what I have experienced with other platforms that gets on my nerves.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
You could easily consider anything other than basic mail, calendar, contacts, browser, phone, texting, and camera as "bloat" regardless of platform. I make use of a lot of Apple's stock apps, but I keep some of them tucked into a folder that rarely gets opened.

I think that would be a good segue into a discussion of what one consider to be core apps, and what are bloat apps (besides the obvious ones of carrier-added junk). I live and die by my reminders and notes apps, first thing I did when I made my brief foray into Android was to find a suitable note taking app that was as good as the one I had on iPhone. Didn't have reminders on my pre-Android days iPhone, but now rely on it wholly for both timed reminders as well as acting as a shared grocery list between my wife and myself (I know you can get other apps for this, but it works perfectly in the stock reminders app for me).

I've never needed the compass app, but I can see its usefulness if you need it in a pinch.

I also don't think one can make a complete apples to apples comparison between the two platforms when it comes to bloat due to the completely different infrastructure. Apple controls the entire iOS experience, so whatever apps are on it are considered core apps with nothing else added by external sources. Android is of course a different beast. I believe that anything that is not on stock Android (i.e. Nexus devices) is usually considered to be bloat. The two different kinds of Android bloat are: 1. manufacturer-added apps (i.e., Samsung's different S-apps) and 2. ones added by different carriers.

I find the first to be less egregious for the most part as some people find some of the manufacturer ones to be useful. I know that some of the apps added for the Note serve to take better advantage of its capabilities (i.e. S-pen stuff) than stock Android. However some of the Samsung apps are duplicate layers on top of what stock Android already has in it, like their own media store, music store, etc. Those I would consider to be bloat. I haven't had much experience with other phone manufacturers so I can't reliably comment on them, but I know that people like some of the other manufacturer additions like blink feed on the newer HTC phones.

The carrier ones for the most part are useless. Most of them want to milk you for money for services that already come with stock Android, like AT&T navigation apps. That's the worst kind of bloat imaginable and I have yet to find one person who actually says they like and get good use out of carrier added apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro