This.

I am using a gs4 as my manager phone for a while, and before I did anything I went in and disabled all the bundled samsung crap.

42 apps. 42! That's what I disabled that ran in the background, duplicated google functions already running in the background, useless touch wiz 'features'.

It's ridiculous.
    There are not 42 "Samsung" Apps to disable on the S4 :-) And there are not even 42 Apps that start up and run in the background even on a Verizon GS4 with nothing disabled and probably the most bloat ware of any carrier in the world on that device. I know that for a fact, since I see & use one everyday and helped set it up for the person that got it, which included combing through "All Apps" in the Application Manager and disabling that stuff. I did disable all the redundant unneeded stuff for him, which included things like Google Play Music, Videos, Magazines, Newsstand, Chrome Mobile, Samsung Link, Samsung Music/Video/Books, etc. (it's a work phone, so yea). All of Verizon's Apps which can be disabled (which is all but very few of them), and the Amazon preloaded apps. There are still not 42 Apps disabled (and that is much more than the Average Android user will disable), and there certainly weren't 42 Apps auto running themselves on the phone, Lol.

To get to 42 Apps you have to be disabling things that simply aren't that big a deal, and I don't count features that you can toggle on and off with a slider as a disabled app. Of course I also set his phone up so that features he doesn't or probably won't use are off as well (Air View, Eye Tracking Features, Specific Motion Features like Image/Browser Zoom and Pan). Feature usage varies from person to person.

The only Samsung App that I found I *had* to disable due to Auto-Starting on my phone is Samsung Link. It was useful for Auto-Backing up Photos and/or Video to OneDrive before, but it's not needed anymore since Microsoft updated their OneDrive App with that capability, and it's Auto-Backup to PC is rendered worthless because OneDrive can sync to a PC, anyways... I guess it's still useful for pushing stuff to a Samsung TV that supports it.

I replaced iMessage and FaceTime with ChatOn. Don't knock it til you try it, especially with the Voice and Video Chat features (3-Way Calls and Video Chats @ 1080p which is actually good, without the need to sign up for a Social Network like in Hangouts) they implemented. I have been kind of impressed with it, and have been using it as my primary IM since going back. My GS3 didn't support the Voice/Video, but this phone does. Most people I know have moved to 4's and Notes so it has basically replaced FaceTime and iMessage. Only difference is instead of the Samsung users being left out, the iPhone users are left out this time. Both Services (as regards to Voice and Video Calling) are Platform Locked. ChatOn *is* still usable as an IM client on iOS, however, while iMessage is not usable on anything but an Apple device.
    03-11-2014 05:54 PM
    Anything labelled Samsung or preloaded games/apps that were carrier loaded got disabled. I know how to count to 42 and I know how the phone works, as you well know. And I'm now no longer using it, instead using an HTC One that I prefer greatly and only disabled 17 preloaded things I didn't want.

And Sense is so much less annoying than touchwiz.

There is no excuse for having Samsung apps doing the same thing as Google apps on the same phone except Samsung is obnoxious.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    03-11-2014 06:47 PM
    Disabling things was part of the phone of Android devices as was all the customizing the enthusiast has to do. ...but that gets old and that's where iOS comes in for many. A UI that is pleasant to use STOCK. While I like Android I do not like the stock android UI at all. Fortunately, with Nova, you can save and transplant your customizations to other devices.

WildCatStud333 likes this.
    03-13-2014 08:47 AM
    Anything labelled Samsung or preloaded games/apps that were carrier loaded got disabled. I know how to count to 42 and I know how the phone works, as you well know. And I'm now no longer using it, instead using an HTC One that I prefer greatly and only disabled 17 preloaded things I didn't want.

And Sense is so much less annoying than touchwiz.

There is no excuse for having Samsung apps doing the same thing as Google apps on the same phone except Samsung is obnoxious.

Or maybe the Google versions aren't good enough but they aren't privy to fix them for Google. I'm still interested in seeing those 42 apps cause the Verizon S4, which is the most loaded one, does not have that much on it... ... ...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    03-18-2014 04:30 AM
    And if I was still using it I would. However I'm not using it anymore as it was the demo phone and I didn't like using it if something happened to it...and I hated it.

And I'm sorry, not good enough? There's no excuse to have both google play services and a Samsung App Store and a google backup service and a Samsung service...I have yet to find a good Samsung service.

They replaced it with an s3 that I threw in a drawer to avoid using.
    03-18-2014 08:12 AM
    You'll be back they always come back
    Having owned every model iPhone ever made included the 5s,,, and also owning the Galaxy S3, Note 1 and 2 and currently rockin the S4, I have tried to come back,,, hasn't worked yet.

I love my iPad Air but as far as a phone I'm pretty sure I'm guna be sticking with the Galaxy's and the Note's.

Cheers
    Davyo
    03-23-2014 06:56 AM
    It's what ever works best for you, good luck with them.
    03-23-2014 07:19 AM
    Good luck. As said above it is a personal choice. I just came from the Nexus 5 because I couldn't overcome a problem involving keeping a WiFi connection. The 5s has no such problems.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    03-23-2014 09:01 AM
    And if I was still using it I would. However I'm not using it anymore as it was the demo phone and I didn't like using it if something happened to it...and I hated it.

And I'm sorry, not good enough? There's no excuse to have both google play services and a Samsung App Store and a google backup service and a Samsung service...I have yet to find a good Samsung service.

They replaced it with an s3 that I threw in a drawer to avoid using.
    There's no excuse for apps like Google+, Hangouts, etc. to be preloaded on an Android phone other than for the fact that Google Mandates it.

Samsung puts their services on their phones, just like Microsoft, Apple, HTC, LG, Motorola, Sony, Blackberry and others do. In some cases, those services deliver better quality than Google's services. Hangouts Video Chat is absolute dog**** on mobile compared to ChatOn. It's like comparing a QVGA video stream to 1080p. It's that bad. Google ripped Talk VoIP out of Android in the move to Hangouts. Samsung Account + ChatOn basically give you a better user experience.

Samsung Synch services make sense because potentially you can have Samsung using the same or similar services across different OSes. Samsung makes Windows 8.1, Android, Windows Phone, Bada, and Tizen devices. Not having their own centralized service for this would be illogical.

Samsung hosts all of their own apps on their App Store, and some of their apps (like the Camera App) are extensible. You can augment it with Additional Modes and Filters that you get via Samsung Apps.

If you have a clue about how they leverage their services, it makes a bit more sense.

No one is talking about the S3. There were barely any Samsung Pre-Loads on that device. I just upgraded from one, and it ran marvelously.
    03-24-2014 02:06 AM
    I've owned as my personal phone 3 Samsung galaxy devices , the last s GS3, as well as 3 GS3 and a 4 for the manager phone. None of them ran marvelously for me. Well my personal 3 did until it got the JB update - then it took rooting and a no Samsung Rom to run marvelously again.

It's great that you like Samsung. I've had nothing but issues with multiple Samsung phones going back to my Vibrant bricking 62 days after purchase and spending the next 12 weeks at Samsung repair due to backlog from the recall for the faulty motherboards in a huge number of the I9000M devices sold. Bought my phone in July, had it until August got it back from Samsung new years eve.

Not everyone has to like Samsung. It's okay for people not to. A lot of people do like them and more power to them. It had nothing to do with not understanding how they leverage their preinstalled bloat.

Haalcyon likes this.
    03-24-2014 07:43 AM
    You didn't yet lol
    The battery life on the note would be hard to leave behind.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    03-25-2014 12:07 AM
    For those that don't like Samsung. May I ask why? The Samsung product is a distant second only to Apple in the US, but a solid second in sales in the US.
    Attachment 51028
    - decaying hardware (after year 1)
    - crappy interface (Touchwiz)
    - feels/looks cheap despite pricetags being the same as iPhones, razrs, htc one.
    - POOR customer service
    - can be laggy even with great specs.
    - seems to blantently copy others (usually badly)

I'm sure I can think of more. Never going back...

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    03-25-2014 01:04 AM
    HAHA. No way. I used BlackBerry for years and then I tried Apple which is what im using now (5S).
    when I was using iPhone 5, I tried samsung galaxy s3 mini, and it just s-u-c-k-s.
    Didn't used it for more than 1 night.
    Good luck with that, a lot of my friends prefer android, but they never tried Apple.
    03-28-2014 07:01 AM
    Here's a list of the 31 apps pre-installed on my Samsung Note 3 that I do not use. In the vast majority of cases, i have never even opened the apps. Whilst I realise and understand that some of them are the only iteration of a particular function, like the messages app, I prefer to use the Android equivalent of BiteSMS anyway.

In almost all of the below apps, I have disabled them as I am not rooted on that device.

Action Memo
    Flipboard
    S Health
    S Note
    S Planner
    S Translator
    Scrapbook
    Sketchbook
    Trip Advisor
    Google Drive
    Evernote
    Google+
    Hangouts
    Internet
    Chrome
    Kid Mode
    Knox
    LINE
    Parent Dashboard
    Play Books
    Play Games
    Play Movies & TV
    Play Music
    Play Newsstand
    S Voice
    Samsung Hub
    Samsung Link
    Story Album
    WatchON

My iPhone still had a list of apps that were pre-installed that I never used but the list had less than half a dozen apps on it. The bloat on my iPhone is far and away less than on either of my Android devices. My HTC is rooted and I can't remember which apps were pre-installed as I removed some of them using a handy spreadsheet I found on XDA. Even though I use Nova Prime Launcher on both my HTC and Note, Sense is easily superior to Touchwiz, in my opinion.
    03-28-2014 04:28 PM
    Here's a list of the 31 apps pre-installed on my Samsung Note 3 that I do not use. In the vast majority of cases, i have never even opened the apps. Whilst I realise and understand that some of them are the only iteration of a particular function, like the messages app, I prefer to use the Android equivalent of BiteSMS anyway.

In almost all of the below apps, I have disabled them as I am not rooted on that device.

Action Memo
    Flipboard
    S Health
    S Note
    S Planner
    S Translator
    Scrapbook
    Sketchbook
    Trip Advisor
    Google Drive
    Evernote
    Google+
    Hangouts
    Internet
    Chrome
    Kid Mode
    Knox
    LINE
    Parent Dashboard
    Play Books
    Play Games
    Play Movies & TV
    Play Music
    Play Newsstand
    S Voice
    Samsung Hub
    Samsung Link
    Story Album
    WatchON

My iPhone still had a list of apps that were pre-installed that I never used but the list had less than half a dozen apps on it. The bloat on my iPhone is far and away less than on either of my Android devices. My HTC is rooted and I can't remember which apps were pre-installed as I removed some of them using a handy spreadsheet I found on XDA. Even though I use Nova Prime Launcher on both my HTC and Note, Sense is easily superior to Touchwiz, in my opinion.
    While I see your point thoroughly, what is one man's bloat is another's gummi bears (gotta love gummi bears).

via that gPad 📱
    Highrisedrifter and Spencerdl like this.
    03-28-2014 04:32 PM
    While I see your point thoroughly, what is one man's bloat is another's gummi bears (gotta love gummi bears).

via that gPad
    Oh yes for sure. It would be nice to have the option to remove them though for those that don't want them.

(I also love Gummi bears!)
    03-28-2014 04:37 PM
    Oh yes for sure. It would be nice to have the option to remove them though for those that don't want them.

(I also love Gummi bears!)
    Yeah, you gotta root to be able to actually delete that stuff. You should check in with Septembersrain#AC. She has a Note 3 and I think she mentioned she rooted it.

via that gPad 📱
    03-28-2014 04:41 PM
    Yeah, you gotta root to be able to actually delete that stuff. You should check in with Septembersrain#AC. She has a Note 3 and I think she mentioned she rooted it.

via that gPad ��
    My HTC and my Galaxy S2 are rooted and my Note 3 isn't. To be honest I like it that way as I have one Android device to test rooted stuff and one to use the apps that won't run on a rooted device (Like some TV services here in the UK).
    03-28-2014 04:52 PM
    My HTC and my Galaxy S2 are rooted and my Note 3 isn't. To be honest I like it that way as I have one Android device to test rooted stuff and one to use the apps that won't run on a rooted device (Like some TV services here in the UK).
    Ahhh...makes perfect sense.

via that gPad 📱
    03-28-2014 04:52 PM

via that gPad 📱
    I've not only rooted it but I've got a custom recovery (TWRP) and a Kit Kat ROM loaded (Jedi). ^_^

I was always heavily into modding my Android phones.

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    Tartarus likes this.
    03-29-2014 05:04 AM
    Yeah, certain apps can get borked by root. However there are methods of rooting for the Note 3 that can avoid tripping Knox. It may actually do the same for borking apps.

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    03-29-2014 05:06 AM
    Borked. Lol. I have to use that.

via the phone 📲
    03-29-2014 05:08 AM

Action Memo
    Flipboard
    S Health
    S Note
    S Planner
    S Translator
    Scrapbook
    Sketchbook
    Trip Advisor
    Google Drive
    Evernote
    Google+
    Hangouts
    Internet
    Chrome
    Kid Mode
    Knox
    LINE
    Parent Dashboard
    Play Books
    Play Games
    Play Movies & TV
    Play Music
    Play Newsstand
    S Voice
    Samsung Hub
    Samsung Link
    Story Album
    WatchON

I hope this post isn't serious?

What you're doing is the same as removing these from an iPhone:

Safari
    Messages/iMessage
    iTune Store/iBook/Newsstand
    Photos/Photo Stream
    Game Center
    Reminders
    Notes
    Memo
    AirPlay/AirDrop
    Siri
    Health kit
    AirPlay
    AirDrop
    iCloud Drive

See how that sounds? That's how your post sounds. Ridiculous...

Additionally, learn to distinguish between a full app preload and a link to an installer that isn't actually an app on the device. Several of the apps you mentioned aren't actually installed on Samsung devices. They just put the link there to set up permissions since the full all upgrades the link:

Knox
    Sketchbook
    S Translator
    Story Album
    Trip Advisor

Those are all links, not full apps in the FW.

You listed all the stock Browsers and SMS/MMS apps on the phone.

You listed WatchOn, which is a custom version of Peel developed to take advantage of the IR blaster which works fairly flawlessly.

You listed Google entire media ecosystem which actually is useful for people who aren't knee deep in Apple's when they get the device.

This cannot be taken seriously.

LINE, Evernote, Parent Dashboard, Kid's Mode aren't on Notes here in any form - not ad a preload anyways.

There isn't much else so I'll only post this screen. Yellow is from Verizon. Green is Google and most users will not disable those Google Apps. Pink is Samsung. Note the Gear manager icon. It has a Windows-like Link tag on it that means the app is actually somewhere else. Not on the phone and if you click it it will ask if you want to install it. Many of Samsung preload are like that. They actually have paired down on preload. The presence of the icon doesn't necessitate the app be baked in, clearly.

Also note the absence of many of the apps you listed.

The carrier bloat is a much bigger issue. Instead. You want people to believe you either neutered the phone into uselessness or replaced a bunch if stock apps with 3rd part alternatives - the latter of which isn't even possible on an iPhone [where the user experience crumbles as you switch to more and more third party apps due to the inability to set app defaults].

This cannot be taken seriously. If I wanted to do that to an iPhone (not possible, theoretical) people would ask me "why are you even getting the phone."

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    06-08-2014 06:54 PM
    Took my iPhone and all my accessories back to Best Buy. Just tired of using the Same thing. For the past several years I've been using Apple. Time for a change. Moved to the Note 3. Really really really love it. Thanks for all the support and help you have given me

My Black 3
    iPhone 6 and iOS 8 soon

It's time to come back buddy
    06-08-2014 07:23 PM
    iPhone 6 and iOS 8 soon

It's time to come back buddy
    Sooner or later he will.
    kataran likes this.
    06-08-2014 08:28 PM
183 ... 5678