Should I just spend more?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't help with the first part because CDMA is something I stay away from but I know that the Verizon 5s is unlocked like the t-mobile version if you buy it right out, so I'm assuming it would be the same for the 5c.

The SIM card they use now is a micro sim, so the nano sim will not fit; but T-Mobile SIM cards are $10 unless someone is willing to switch your sim for you at the store for free.

Update: I meant to they use nano sims now so the micro won't fit. Sorry for that

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

Last edited:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you attempting to use the unlocked device on Boost Mobile or just have it for use with AT&T or T-Mobile?
If you just want to be able to use it on GSM carriers, I'd probably look into buying the Verizon model. I think the only difference between the unlocked and Verizon model is the inclusion of the Verizon CDMA radio and maybe the Verizon LTE band.
You should be able to pop a T-Mobile SIM into the 5S but you may have to tweak a few APN settings if it doesn't automatically configure them for you and they may also give you the proper SIM if the nano will not work for the 5S.

Hopefully I've answered your questions properly.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Just went down to Verizon, lady swears we can't use it with T-Mobile. Gee wiz, I'll just have to go to an Apple store instead.

I'm going to keep my 5c on Boost Mobile, I realize I can't get it unlocked. It's alright. I'm happy in that aspect.

I just want a 5s to play with but I really don't want it stuck to just one carrier...

Edit: At this point, I wouldn't want anything to do with Verizon. However, I have T-Mobile and would consider AT&T if I needed to.

andymyrick

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen you should have no issue switching the 5S to T-Mobile. I work for a VZW retailer and we have had people buy phones outright just to take to AT&T or T-Mo. (It was around launch day and we were the only store with any kind of stock.)

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen you should have no issue switching the 5S to T-Mobile. I work for a VZW retailer and we have had people buy phones outright just to take to AT&T or T-Mo. (It was around launch day and we were the only store with any kind of stock.)

This is true.

Farshid72

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
There is not so much difference between lock and unlock ! I recommend u if u dont have enough money ! Buy a locked model and unlock it later! With locked phone u just should active the phone with that sim and after activation u can use any other sim ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just went down to Verizon, lady swears we can't use it with T-Mobile. Gee wiz, I'll just have to go to an Apple store instead.

I'm going to keep my 5c on Boost Mobile, I realize I can't get it unlocked. It's alright. I'm happy in that aspect.

I just want a 5s to play with but I really don't want it stuck to just one carrier...

Edit: At this point, I wouldn't want anything to do with Verizon. However, I have T-Mobile and would consider AT&T if I needed to.

I updated my original post about the SIM cards. I meant the opposite of what I said, in case that threw you off.

Verizon will do whatever they can to make you open a line with them, so they won't come right out to say "yes, our iPhone is unlocked."

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I updated my original post about the SIM cards. I meant the opposite of what I said, in case that threw you off.

Verizon will do whatever they can to make you open a line with them, so they won't come right out to say "yes, our iPhone is unlocked."

That is definitely true!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon 5S and my T-mo sim works just fine in it. The lady at Verizon is either full of crap or she just doesn't know what she's talking about.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Ended up getting an unlocked one from Apple. Me gusta. Now to jailbreak it and spoof carrier name...

e8agysed.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro