Have a few questions about iOS & iTunes, just recently came over from Android.

1. I updated iTunes on my PC and now I see "Install", "Will Install", "Remove" and "Will Remove". I don't want to restore all 60 apps back onto my iPhone, but I don't want to delete the backups neither. How can I just pick the apps I want to restore? Every time I go to restore my apps, every app that is backed up gets installed. Also, how do I delete these backups? I just want to do a fresh restore today. After the restore I just want to get my contacts back on my iPhone and then re-install a few apps that I backed up. I don't want to re-install every one though.
    Trying to get over the iOS learning curve, could use some help...-dcc3f02d56c993d02117f06a9c64d416.png

2. I'm also confused with iCloud. For example I had about 15 app on my iPhone, I clicked Manage Storage > This iPhone > Show all Apps and clicked the apps I wanted to back up. Why am I seeing apps in this list below that arent even on my iPhone? Does the iCloud store the actual app itself or just data? For example, I have Tapatalk backed up, what does iCloud actually store from Tapatalk? Whenever I restored my phone, Tapatalk didn't install? Do I need to hook my iPhone up to my PC and use iTunes whenever I want to restore an app? I'm confused on how to re-isntall apps using iCloud? My son also has an iPad and everything that is downloaded on that ends up on my iPhone. So say I remove my phone and restore it back to stock, how would I install Tapatalk back onto the phone? Wouldn't Tapatalk automatically install by itself once I logged into iCloud on my phone?

Trying to get over the iOS learning curve, could use some help...-photo.png

3. The contacts that I see on my phone aren't synced with the iCloud.com website, only 3 numbers show?

4. What is Keychain or iCloud Keychain?

5. I was trying to restore my iPhone back to 7.0.4 earlier. When I click Restore in iTunes on Windows 7, it seems to works fine. It goes from downloading the software to extracting it in a matter of seconds. When you do a restore, is the software stored somewhere on my PC? Whenever I do a restore does it have to download everything over again or does it just use the software that is stored on my PC from the first time I did it? And on Windows 8.1, I can't even download the restore software, I get a connection error and bunch of other errors. Is 8.1 known to cause problems, could it be a driver issue? The errors messages go so fast I can't tell what is going wrong.
    Last edited by drpepsi; 02-11-2014 at 04:35 AM.
    02-11-2014 03:55 AM
    1.) The device is going to restore whatever is in your backup...if the apps are in the backup you're using, it's going to install them. If you want a smaller amount of apps in the backup, you have to make a backup with those apps in it and that is what you'll get. As far as deleting backups, if you're using iCloud, simply go to Settings, scroll down to iCloud, and select Storage & Backup...you should have access to manage your storage at that point.

2.) If you have saved data (game saves, system saves, etc) within apps that were part of an iCloud backup, you are potentially seeing these saves if you've asked the device to keep this saved information. It does this so if you ever install the game or app again, you still have the progress or settings/info saved from before. These files can be deleted.

You also mentioned your son's device. If you guys are using the same Apple ID, you are probably synced together as well, which would explain the apps being stored in the backups that you don't want or being installed that you don't want. You have to turn off automatic syncing...this can be done under settings in the Store section on both devices.

3.) In the settings on iCloud.com under contacts there is a way to import and sync contacts across the devices...you can also do it on the phone, I think the option has to be turned off and back on then you must select "Join" or whatever it prompts you to do. I haven't had to do it in a long time so the vernacular may have changed.

4.) Keychain/iCloud Keychain is a way to save passwords for your various signs ins so you don't have to simply remember on your own. It has a lot of other features to it, but that is the basic function of it.

5.) When you restore your iPhone, and you're using iCloud, you're downloading apps from the cloud...this is why they are having to download again, because your phone gets wiped and it's having to write the apps to the storage on the device.

As far as Windows 8 help, I haven't used a Microsoft based PC since 2005, so I can't help you there.
    John Yester likes this.
    02-11-2014 09:03 AM
    To elaborate on #5, the backup whether done thru iTunes or iCloud, only backs up data associated with the apps, not the apps themselves. The backup does store which apps you have installed and their position on your home screens. So a restore puts the data back in place and downloads the apps again.
    02-11-2014 09:12 AM
    1.) The device is going to restore whatever is in your backup...if the apps are in the backup you're using, it's going to install them. If you want a smaller amount of apps in the backup, you have to make a backup with those apps in it and that is what you'll get. As far as deleting backups, if you're using iCloud, simply go to Settings, scroll down to iCloud, and select Storage & Backup...you should have access to manage your storage at that point.

2.) If you have saved data (game saves, system saves, etc) within apps that were part of an iCloud backup, you are potentially seeing these saves if you've asked the device to keep this saved information. It does this so if you ever install the game or app again, you still have the progress or settings/info saved from before. These files can be deleted.

You also mentioned your son's device. If you guys are using the same Apple ID, you are probably synced together as well, which would explain the apps being stored in the backups that you don't want or being installed that you don't want. You have to turn off automatic syncing...this can be done under settings in the Store section on both devices.

3.) In the settings on iCloud.com under contacts there is a way to import and sync contacts across the devices...you can also do it on the phone, I think the option has to be turned off and back on then you must select "Join" or whatever it prompts you to do. I haven't had to do it in a long time so the vernacular may have changed.

4.) Keychain/iCloud Keychain is a way to save passwords for your various signs ins so you don't have to simply remember on your own. It has a lot of other features to it, but that is the basic function of it.

5.) When you restore your iPhone, and you're using iCloud, you're downloading apps from the cloud...this is why they are having to download again, because your phone gets wiped and it's having to write the apps to the storage on the device.

As far as Windows 8 help, I haven't used a Microsoft based PC since 2005, so I can't help you there.
    - So even though Tapatalk is no longer on my iPhone, iCloud still saves the data in case I decided to install it again, thus I'll already have my Tapatalk login/password saved and ready? Is that what iCloud basically does? I thought iTunes stored the actual application? When I do a backup in iTunes it transfers all of my downloads(free & paid) from my iPhone onto my PC.

- I remember having all these apps/games from my iPad and iPhone all on iTunes together. And I was able to pick which apps I was able to sync with my iPhone. For example say Badlands wasn't on my iPhone, I could just select it in iTunes and then it would install on my iPhone once I hit sync. I didnt need to delete any app backups.

- Also, I just did a restore on my iPhone back to 7.0.4, and for some reason when I go back into iTunes it shows this screen? You can see on the left that it lists applications and shows homescreens. I don't have any of the apps on my iPhone or iPad at the moment and there is no option for me to delete these apps I'm seeing? My iPhone is completely wiped, just did a fresh restore and also deleted my iCloud backups yet I still see these apps? It allows me to drag them onto the homescreens to the right or it allows me to click the button "install" or "will install".

Trying to get over the iOS learning curve, could use some help...-bfc86699748e9ddaa6fbfbb1e5f41c00.png
    02-11-2014 01:52 PM
    You can still manually add and delete apps in iTunes...you just have to make sure the option is checked on your iPhone launch page.

Instead of me trying to explain all the intricacies of iCloud over and over, here's a nice link that explains exactly what iCloud does and what it can do...

iCloud Frequently Asked Questions

- The apps you're seeing are a history of apps you've downloaded on your i-devices, these are saved in your iTunes account for future re-downloads. This can go back as far as you use the same Apple ID...i have a history of apps in my iTunes history back to my first iPhone's...some apps that are completely irrelevant now, but I think it's kind of cool to see them sometimes to see what I used to use. They can be deleted.
    budmonster likes this.
    02-11-2014 02:19 PM
    Does anyone have any idea when the files go on your PC whenever you do a restore? I did a restore in iTunes to make my phone stock again like I just bought it. Where does iTunes store that 7.0.4 restore file?
    02-11-2014 06:29 PM
    Where are iPhone firmware files stored on my computer? | The iPhone FAQ

...these are things you can google very easily. That took me just a couple of seconds.
    02-11-2014 06:46 PM
    Where are iPhone firmware files stored on my computer? | The iPhone FAQ

...these are things you can google very easily. That took me just a couple of seconds.
    i didnt know it was called firmware, so i couldn't type "Where are iPhone firmware files stored on my computer" in google. anyways, thanks for your help.

there are also two files:
    iPhone5,3_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw

i tried searching what the difference is couldnt find it. it just gave me links to download them.

EDIT:
    5s
    7.0.4 (iPhone 5s GSM): iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw
    7.0.4 (iPhone 5s GSM+CDMA): iPhone6,2_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw

5c
    7.0.4 (iPhone 5c GSM): iPhone5,3_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw
    7.0.4 (iPhone 5c GSM+CDMA): iPhone5,4_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw

Why is iTunes installing the GSM(6,1_7.0.4) on my Verizon iPhone and not the GSM+CDMA?
    02-11-2014 09:19 PM
    I actually googled "Where is iOS stored on computer" and that was the first link that came up...just FYI.

As far as why it is saving that particular one on your computer, I can only imagine it is in case you change carriers and phones that way your backup is still viable regardless of which device you try to use the backup on.
    02-11-2014 09:38 PM
    I actually googled "Where is iOS stored on computer" and that was the first link that came up...just FYI.

As far as why it is saving that particular one on your computer, I can only imagine it is in case you change carriers and phones that way your backup is still viable regardless of which device you try to use the backup on.
    I'm just confused why its restoring a firmware with GSM, I'm on Verizon? Shouldn't my restore be using the 6,2 one which is GSM+CDMA? iphonehacks
    02-11-2014 09:43 PM
    Not a clue...I don't worry about the verbiage of the stored files as long as they work...they could call it "AndroidIsAmazingGodzillaEatsChowdaahhhh" and I wouldn't think twice about it as long as I had no issues.
    budmonster and iHackPro like this.
    02-11-2014 09:49 PM
    Not a clue...I don't worry about the verbiage of the stored files as long as they work...they could call it "AndroidIsAmazingGodzillaEatsChowdaahhhh" and I wouldn't think twice about it as long as I had no issues.
    i understand your dont care, im just really curious on why itunes is installing firmware for a gsm iphone when im on verizon. itunes is restoring my iphone using the 6,1.ipsw(firmware) which as you can is for gsm phones.
    02-11-2014 10:52 PM
    If you have both files, alt/option click the Restore button and you can select the ipsw file yourself.
    02-11-2014 10:58 PM
    i understand your dont care, im just really curious on why itunes is installing firmware for a gsm iphone when im on verizon. itunes is restoring my iphone using the 6,1.ipsw(firmware) which as you can is for gsm phones.
    iPhone6,1 is the North American version
    iPhone6,2 is for the rest of the world

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    budmonster likes this.
    02-12-2014 10:46 AM
    I had once more question that has been bugging me.

What is OpenSSH from Cydia? I keep seeing people saying that it's really important and that you should install right after you jailbreak. What is for and what does it do? Is it necessary to have? Is it the same thing as iFunBox, iExplorer, etc.
    02-12-2014 09:23 PM
    It's an SSH client. If you don't know what that is you probably should be messing with it. But yes you can use it to traverse the file system.
    02-12-2014 10:03 PM
    I had once more question that has been bugging me.

What is OpenSSH from Cydia? I keep seeing people saying that it's really important and that you should install right after you jailbreak. What is for and what does it do? Is it necessary to have? Is it the same thing as iFunBox, iExplorer, etc.
    You should definitely get some more time under your belt with the iPhone before you start messing with that stuff...you can end up with a huge headache (just check out our Q&A section where we regularly field questions from people who screwed with file systems, with little understanding of what they were doing, and ended up with substantial issues they couldn't fix themselves.
    budmonster likes this.
    02-13-2014 12:22 AM