Disappointed in iPhone 5s

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm not disappointed with the 5s or any other Apple product. I should also say that out of 120 million smartphones sold in 2013 (US), 45% was iphones and the next competitor was Samsung at 26%. I guess there are a lot of other people that are not disappointed as well.

How dare you use % that don't include Samsungs line of junk phones (that people tend to use when comparing sales between the iPhone and other cellular phones)...I mean it's like you're trying to use logic or something!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
How dare you use % that don't include Samsungs line of junk phones (that people tend to use when comparing sales between the iPhone and other cellular phones)...I mean it's like you're trying to use logic or something!

LOL....allow me to apologize for using logic and facts. LOL

Sent from my GOLD iPhone 5s using iMore Forums app

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple didn't invent touchscreen tech. They invented the touchscreen "slab" form factor. Now, perhaps they just got to it first and if there was no iPhone at all android and all of his devices would be exactly where they are today.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Lg prada

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the iPhone 6 is going to be all that over the 5s, even if it sports a bigger screen. The 5 wasn't all that over the 4s. Okay sarcasm over.

The 5s is the biggest upgrade ever of one iPhone model to the next. One can dismiss the upgrade as irrelevant, in the same way the iPhone 6 upgrade can/will be dismissed as irrelevant over the 5s.

Much ground breaking technology was introduced in the 5s, which will be refined in the 6. Tick, tock. Apple's strategy is the same as Intel's.

The success of the real groundbreaking user upgrades along with the chipset updates will have competitors scrambling to catch up.

You're kidding, right? Catching up? How about caught up and passed in many areas? I'll give it to the Touch ID, but nothing is groundbreaking. The new Android is nothing like the old, as the 4.0 and 4.4 updates are smooth, fast, don't slow down over time, and virtually lag-free. Android features are way more numerous than iOS, so IMO, iOS is the one that needs to catch up.
I have a 5s and a Moto X, so I am speaking from some experience. But I do love both platforms, and it comes down to what works best for each person.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You're kidding, right? Catching up? How about caught up and passed in many areas? I'll give it to the Touch ID, but nothing is groundbreaking. The new Android is nothing like the old, as the 4.0 and 4.4 updates are smooth, fast, don't slow down over time, and virtually lag-free. Android features are way more numerous than iOS, so IMO, iOS is the one that needs to catch up.
I have a 5s and a Moto X, so I am speaking from some experience. But I do love both platforms, and it comes down to what works best for each person.

Why would I be kidding? I listed my reasons, why don't you list your reasons. I'm not talking about screen size, which to me larger is a negative. List the technology inside your phone that you feel is ground breaking, like camera, innards, etc.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is overshadowed by the Lumia line of phones in terms of camera...there's just no way around that. But while the camera function is bettered by significant hardware betterments, the chassis, weight and size of the phone is traded off (if we think of it in terms of preference to the iPhone size). Even with larger screen real estate, the iPhone simply won't have the internal space to improve the camera to over come that gap that the Nokia's have put out now.

The Galaxy Note series of phones have an unprecedented battery life that pretty much dwarfs everything else...but it's also nearly the size of a tablet, so the battery they are able to include is also substantial in size. This is just not something we can expect from the iPhone because of it's current design cues...not until better technology comes along, and even then, it'll be a market application, not specific to the iPhone at all...so we can safely assume that the iPhone will never have that kind of market leading battery life...it's just not that kind of device, nor is it designed to be.

I mean we could even get into the more specialty built devices like the HTC's that featured "Beats Audio"...I mean these are DESIGNED with the focus of playing your content aloud for others to hear with better quality audio components...again, the design allowed for such (and the size of the chassis), so it is something you'd never really expect to be in the iPhone as it is currently setup (that and it was kind of like a "sponsor" of sorts with the Beats by Dre audio development...where Apple would simply do that in house if ever)

...and I know that I'm missing about a hundred other things. You see, there are better features on other devices...but here's the kicker, the iPhone is designed to offer as much technology within the most streamlined package, and right now, there is not another phone that competes in that regard. If you look at it like a car (which I so often do because I'm a grease monkey), you're never going to find a Ferrari that is built like a Lincoln Towncar, and you're never going to find a TownCar that is built like a Ferrari...these are different focuses, different fields of success...just because the Ferrari won't accommodate an adult comfortably in the rear seats doesn't mean it's a lesser car, and just because the TownCar won't accelerate to 60mph in a couple of seconds doesn't make it any lesser a car.

I grow so tired of reading "Well this is the better phone..." and "No...this is the better phone...", and then all the crap about which phone is behind which in terms of technology and development and blah blah freakin' blah. They are different...they are developed for different audiences in many ways, and they are filled with features that cater to different brackets of consumers. On the other hand, you have a general assortment of features that cater to every consumer in the market, so because of this, you have to pick and choose which device is best for you.

Bottom line...there is no "best" device. None of them are falling behind or gaining a lead, because none of them are a generally attractive device for every consumer. They implement here, and sacrifice there and in the end, you're left with a multitude of products that cater to a multitude of people and each one of them, in the hands of the person who prefers it, is the best on the market. The iPhone is no different...it does some things better, some things worse and some things the same...it's all a matter of whether it does what you need it to better than other devices, and it does for me.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Well said Sean. Some folks need to feel like the choice they made is superior to the choice someone else makes, especially when it comes to phones. I'm not a psychologist and I'm sure there's some explanation as to why it is so important for some to feel like their choice was superior to someone else's when it comes to phones. Some will pontificate that iPhones are for simple people while Android users are somehow more intellectually endowed. It's comical.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Some people just need to validate their purchase. If their phone is the best, then they themselves have made a good choice.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Some people just need to validate their purchase. If their phone is the best, then they themselves have made a good choice.

Is it not enough that they like their phone? Why do other people need to feel that my phone is the best? People don't do this as much when buying cars, and as you've noted previously, that's typically a more significant purchase.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Is it not enough that they like their phone? Why do other people need to feel that my phone is the best? People don't do this as much when buying cars, and as you've noted previously, that's typically a more significant purchase.

Lol. I couldn't begin to explain the multitude of issues people bring to these forums.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
People need to/like to socialize.

They certainly do. And considering that you are going to have a cross-section of people, then you are going to get various opinions, temperaments, cognition, life experiences, intentions, etc.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

You've clearly never been on any car forums.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR