Disappointed in iPhone 5s

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
As an outsider with no allegiance, the 5s was the biggest iPhone upgrade ever. The 6 won't be as big an upgrade. Having said that big upgrades do not guarantee happiness and people have their own barometers. The finger print reader is easily the usability improvement of the year, those who dismiss it are short sided to the bigger picture.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

I have seen you say this twice now. Saying the 5s was the biggest iphone upgrade ever is debatable at best. And to say the 6 won't be as big an upgrade means one of two things. Either you have inside information that none of the rest of us at iMore have, or you are assuming based on something or another. I will bet the latter. The finger print reader is the usability improvement of the year "IF" you find it useful. There are others like myself who do not even use it. I never passcode locked my phone in the past and don't find the need to now so the finger print reader is useless in its current state to me. And as far as being short sighted to the bigger picture, people can tout all they want about forward-thinking in regard to this phone, but if the true capabilities of things like touchID and 64bit chips don't unleash themselves until future iphones....then I don't apply their greatness to the 5S.

That said, I love the 5S. Best phone I have owned. I am not disappointed with it and have no complaints. But for me personally, when I went from the 3S to the 4.....that was a huge upgrade. When I went from 4S to the 5....that was huge upgrade. In this case? I got a finger print scanner I dont use, an M7 chip that doesnt affect my usage, a 64bit chip that also has not impacted use, at least to a great extent, a minor camera upgrade, etc. I bought the 5S because I get every new iphone and because I can. But I personally would have been just as well off keeping my 5.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm replying from the 5s I've had since release month.

I also own several android devices. All have their pros and cons. But the 5s is not a huge improvement over the 5...which I traded in to cover the costs of the 5s. Sometimes we can be blinded by our allegiance. I'm just being honest to myself and my observations.

Here's that representing opinion as fact thing again. To you it wasn't a huge improvement...that doesn't mean that approach applies to everyone. I feel it was a substantial improvement over the iPhone 5 just based on the finger print scanner alone, which made a person who never used a password lock on the phone actually start using the security functions (not only for security, but convenience as well). That's one feature of the many that were improved...but that's just my opinion. I'm also being honest with myself and observations as well, and not being blinded by any allegiances because I have none...if a device from another manufacturer came out that served me better than the iPhone, I would own it, plain and simple.

Also, no one said the iPhone was the first touch screen...yet some how, this keeps being brought up, lol!

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have no allegiance to android or iOS. IMO (those 3 letters are so easy to type), the 5s is an appropriate upgrade to the 5. Fingerprint scanner represents a significant convenience and I love the camera's quality and slow motion are great. Also, the finish on the space grey is more durable than the black 5, meaning those of you who don't believe in protecting your investment with a case will have a nicer looking phone for longer.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Let me break it down. The original iPhone was better than anything available when it was released, the 3G is better than the original, the 3GS is better than the 3G, the 4 is better than the 3GS, the 4s is better than the 4, the 5 is better than the 4s, the 5s is better than the 5. How much better is up to you. Now erybody quit being short-sided!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Amen.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

Lol truth be told I'm the one who got busted on it. I was typing a little too fast, a little too early this morning.

Speaking up upgrades over previous models, will anyone else be tuning in to see the Galaxy S5 unveiling on Monday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Lol truth be told I'm the one who got busted on it. I was typing a little too fast, a little too early this morning.

Speaking up upgrades over previous models, will anyone else be tuning in to see the Galaxy S5 unveiling on Monday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be watching and reading all week next week. I hope Samsung ups their build quality this year. Their screens are usually very good and they aren't afraid to max the specs (3gb ram on the Note 3) but their overall build quality is weak, IMO. I'll also be paying attention to Nokia. I hope they announce a high end WP phone with a 4.5 - 5 screen. The rumor is the 930 will be that but it's not official yet.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have seen you say this twice now. Saying the 5s was the biggest iphone upgrade ever is debatable at best. And to say the 6 won't be as big an upgrade means one of two things. Either you have inside information that none of the rest of us at iMore have, or you are assuming based on something or another. I will bet the latter. The finger print reader is the usability improvement of the year "IF" you find it useful. There are others like myself who do not even use it. I never passcode locked my phone in the past and don't find the need to now so the finger print reader is useless in its current state to me. And as far as being short sighted to the bigger picture, people can tout all they want about forward-thinking in regard to this phone, but if the true capabilities of things like touchID and 64bit chips don't unleash themselves until future iphones....then I don't apply their greatness to the 5S.

That said, I love the 5S. Best phone I have owned. I am not disappointed with it and have no complaints. But for me personally, when I went from the 3S to the 4.....that was a huge upgrade. When I went from 4S to the 5....that was huge upgrade. In this case? I got a finger print scanner I dont use, an M7 chip that doesnt affect my usage, a 64bit chip that also has not impacted use, at least to a great extent, a minor camera upgrade, etc. I bought the 5S because I get every new iphone and because I can. But I personally would have been just as well off keeping my 5.

1 - See seanhrcc's response above.
2- There is no debate on that the 5S was the biggest upgrade ever. Just because the "sheet metal" didn't change, doesn't mean there weren't significant changes, inside and out. A change in form factor does not qualify as a "big" update, imo, even if there is slightly more resolution. The 6 will be 64 bit, fingerprint reader, nice camera etc. An increment to the 5S, even if some hardware was updated. So while you may deem a "big" upgrade as a change in form factor, I don't. However, that has little to do with the fact, that between the 5 and 5S, nearly every single aspect aspect of the phone was re-engineered in some way shape or form. And because you don't find a particular feature useful, doesn't mean it's not Oscar worthy. If a cure for cancer was discovered and you never had cancer you may not care either.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
1 - See seanhrcc's response above.
2- There is no debate on that the 5S was the biggest upgrade ever. Just because the "sheet metal" didn't change, doesn't mean there weren't significant changes, inside and out. A change in form factor does not qualify as a "big" update, imo, even if there is slightly more resolution. The 6 will be 64 bit, fingerprint reader, nice camera etc. An increment to the 5S, even if some hardware was updated. So while you may deem a "big" upgrade as a change in form factor, I don't. However, that has little to do with the fact, that between the 5 and 5S, nearly every single aspect aspect of the phone was re-engineered in some way shape or form. And because you don't find a particular feature useful, doesn't mean it's not Oscar worthy. If a cure for cancer was discovered and you never had cancer you may not care either.

Sean's repsonse, while I respect it, doesn't add any more validity to your 'opinion' that this was the greatest upgrade ever. And, for the first time since I have been reading your posts on the matter, you used the key differentiator...'imo'. You see, I was very careful to point out that every bit of my response that you quoted was 'my' experience and 'my' opinion.

Again, yes, there is plenty of debate as to whether this was the biggest upgrade ever. You can play that off as fact all you want. Newsflash, every new iphone that has come out since the original has improved nearly every single aspect of the phone. Nothing new to see here. You just dispelled my reasons for an upgrade being major because change in form factor is not a big update to you, and then in the very same paragraph state that your reasons 'are' valid even though they may not be useful to me lol. Really? Your little cancer analogy works both ways.

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Sean's repsonse, while I respect it, doesn't add any more validity to your 'opinion' that this was the greatest upgrade ever. And, for the first time since I have been reading your posts on the matter, you used the key differentiator...'imo'. You see, I was very careful to point out that every bit of my response that you quoted was 'my' experience and 'my' opinion.

Again, yes, there is plenty of debate as to whether this was the biggest upgrade ever. You can play that off as fact all you want. Newsflash, every new iphone that has come out since the original has improved nearly every single aspect of the phone. Nothing new to see here. You just dispelled my reasons for an upgrade being major because change in form factor is not a big update to you, and then in the very same paragraph state that your reasons 'are' valid even though they may not be useful to me lol. Really? Your little cancer analogy works both ways.

The fact I said IMO, an opinion is always IMO and shouldn't have to be stated as such. Sean's example was a reflection of almost every blog in the universe regarding the 5S. It isn't like I said, "the US GNP in the year 2012 was $x.xxx trillion dollars", IMO. The preceeding is a fact, that can be proven or disputed. Just like it is a fact that apple re-engineered most of the hardware and software of the 5S from the 5. Your opinion, because you don't care/understand about this re-engineering is a small incremental improvement. That doesn't take away that apple probably spent a massive amount of money doing this and as we know at this time, plans to use this platform on the iphone 6.

You can try to dismiss the almost complete re-engineering of the 5S as a non-event because the phone factor didn't change, but it is again, in your opinion, which you are entitled to. However, real world the 5S is not the same phone as the 5 except the user interface looks identical. I would agree the 5C is almost the same phone as the 5. Newflash to use your terminology, the 5S is more than a "small, incremental" improvement. I got it the value of this update in your eyes is nil, but proclaiming this on a public forum doesn't make it so and doesn't take away from what it is and from what (a lot of) others see it as.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The fact I said IMO, an opinion is always IMO and shouldn't have to be stated as such. Sean's example was a reflection of almost every blog in the universe regarding the 5S. It isn't like I said, "the US GNP in the year 2012 was $x.xxx trillion dollars", IMO. The preceeding is a fact, that can be proven or disputed. Just like it is a fact that apple re-engineered most of the hardware and software of the 5S from the 5. Your opinion, because you don't care/understand about this re-engineering is a small incremental improvement. That doesn't take away that apple probably spent a massive amount of money doing this and as we know at this time, plans to use this platform on the iphone 6.

You can try to dismiss the almost complete re-engineering of the 5S as a non-event because the phone factor didn't change, but it is again, in your opinion, which you are entitled to. However, real world the 5S is not the same phone as the 5 except the user interface looks identical. I would agree the 5C is almost the same phone as the 5. Newflash to use your terminology, the 5S is more than a "small, incremental" improvement. I got it the value of this update in your eyes is nil, but proclaiming this on a public forum doesn't make it so and doesn't take away from what it is and from what (a lot of) others see it as.

You are cracking me up. I am going to try and go slowly for you. Check this out:
"As an outsider with no allegiance, the 5s was the biggest iPhone upgrade ever." "The 5s is the biggest upgrade ever of one iPhone model to the next."
Perhaps I can bold this for you? You stated this as a fact. In which it is not. You have stated this numerous times....as a fact. Which. It. Is. Not. It is your opinion. What on this earth do you not understand about that?

So now you are telling me that it is a fact that Apple has re-engineered most of the hardware and software of the 5S from the 5. Well no sh*t? They have only been doing that exact same thing every phone since 2007. Why is this news to you? No one questioned that fact. But to use that as a basis for this being the, as you have stated, biggest iphone upgrade ever is simply silly. It happens, wait for it, every year! But in other years they not only re-engineered most of the hardware and software but they also upgraded the physical properties too.

My entire issue has been that you are trying to put off your opinion as fact. You have tried turning this around on me, as if I am 'proclaiming on a public forum' that I am right and others are wrong when that so clearly was never my agenda. All I ever said was that your statement of fact that the 5S is the biggest upgrade ever is debatable, and from then on you have come unglued lol.

Lastly, do not put words in my mouth. I did not once say the value of the update in my eyes was nil. Not once. Do I think it was the greatest ever? Like many others, no, I don't. But we have established that haven't we?

Save the retort. I have no interest. I have encountered your kind in the forums before and will continue to in the future. If you wish to get the last word in so that you can feel comfortable in your stance then by all means do so as I am finished wasting my time on you.

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You are cracking me up. I am going to try and go slowly for you. Check this out:
"As an outsider with no allegiance, the 5s was the biggest iPhone upgrade ever." "The 5s is the biggest upgrade ever of one iPhone model to the next."
Perhaps I can bold this for you? You stated this as a fact. In which it is not. You have stated this numerous times....as a fact. Which. It. Is. Not. It is your opinion. What on this earth do you not understand about that?

So now you are telling me that it is a fact that Apple has re-engineered most of the hardware and software of the 5S from the 5. Well no sh*t? They have only been doing that exact same thing every phone since 2007. Why is this news to you? No one questioned that fact. But to use that as a basis for this being the, as you have stated, biggest iphone upgrade ever is simply silly. It happens, wait for it, every year! But in other years they not only re-engineered most of the hardware and software but they also upgraded the physical properties too.

My entire issue has been that you are trying to put off your opinion as fact. You have tried turning this around on me, as if I am 'proclaiming on a public forum' that I am right and others are wrong when that so clearly was never my agenda. All I ever said was that your statement of fact that the 5S is the biggest upgrade ever is debatable, and from then on you have come unglued lol.

Lastly, do not put words in my mouth. I did not once say the value of the update in my eyes was nil. Not once. Do I think it was the greatest ever? Like many others, no, I don't. But we have established that haven't we?

Save the retort. I have no interest. I have encountered your kind in the forums before and will continue to in the future. If you wish to get the last word in so that you can feel comfortable in your stance then by all means do so as I am finished wasting my time on you.

It's really okay, you can be insulting. That happens when you lose an internet discussion. :)

The 5S is the biggest ever upgrade ever of an iphone, and that is a fact:
- 64 bit/IOS 7 64 bit
- ddr3 memory
-m7 coprocessor
- FINGERPRINT reader
- camera options (pano, slow mo, f2.2, light sensitivity)
- new LTE bands
- Screaming WIFI on 5ghz
- plus there are some others

Some of the above list are incremental as in new LTE bands, but the collective is what is important.

"Lastly, do not put words in my mouth. I did not once say the value of the update in my eyes was nil. Not once. Do I think it was the greatest ever? Like many others, no, I don't. But we have established that haven't we? "

I didn't put anything in your mouth, I said you place no value on the updates, which is what you have been saying. And many are not saying what you are saying. Some are saying what you are saying.

"Save the retort. I have no interest. I have encountered your kind in the forums before and will continue to in the future. If you wish to get the last word in so that you can feel comfortable in your stance then by all means do so as I am finished wasting my time on you"

"My kind?" LOL. I guess you were a debate club drop-out. 'Nuff said. You can put me on ignore if you want.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm not disappointed with the 5s or any other Apple product. I should also say that out of 120 million smartphones sold in 2013 (US), 45% was iphones and the next competitor was Samsung at 26%. I guess there are a lot of other people that are not disappointed as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods