Disappointed in iPhone 5s

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You have no idea what you're arguing do you?

Who said Apple made the first smart phone? Apple put out a product that had ZERO equal when it was released...no other company did it that well, and that is why it found an IMMEDIATE foot hold. Same with the iPad...same with the iPod. You seem stuck on this "first" thing...it's hilarious, but not surprising coming from you.

And then the numbers thing? LOL! I'm done with this...what is your point here? That Apple didn't invent the cellular phone and that other companies sell more devices across the spectrum of their device line up? If you can't see how ridiculous that is, there's literally no reason to discuss it with you anymore.

Lets try this again to understand my argument.

1) the smartphone form factor known as the touch slab, would and was happening regardless of the iphone

2) apples iphone influence was not the form factor but interface understanding that a desktop could not be shoehorned into a mobile platform, the tech that made the multi touch possible had been in development for years , well before an iphone , apple purchased one of the key players in this arena on 2005, called finger works... Never the less it was apples interface namely aple buttons for nav and later on the app toolkit they released in 2008 laying the foundation, for the ecosystem that many love, this was the revolution IMHO not the iphone itself

3) was the iphone influential, absolutely to call it the greatest creation since the cell phone itself is absurd as their have been many many creations in the 70 year history of cell phone technology

4) you did not say apple created the smartphone, others incorrectly have, as well as others incorrectly stating that the multitouch interface was a creation of the iphone , this is wrong. Finally my point about numbers was to show that there are great many smartphones before and after the iphone, to indicate the industry existed before the iphone in large numbers

5) finally, get off your emotional soapbox, no one begrudges the iPhones place in history , that would be asinine , I just seek to qualify that place in history in the context of the cell phone industry which has been my career since university, so with that said my point before you make a claim atleast correctly know the history

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

1) the smartphone form factor known as the touch slab, would and was happening regardless of the iphone

2) apples iphone influence was not the form factor but interface understanding that a desktop could not be shoehorned into a mobile platform, the tech that made the multi touch possible had been in development for years , well before an iphone , apple purchased one of the key players in this arena on 2005, called finger works... Never the less it was apples interface namely aple buttons for nav and later on the app toolkit they released in 2008 laying the foundation, for the ecosystem that many love, this was the revolution IMHO not the iphone itself

3) was the iphone influential, absolutely to call it the greatest creation since the cell phone itself is absurd as their have been many many creations in the 70 year history of cell phone technology

4) you did not say apple created the smartphone, others incorrectly have, as well as others incorrectly stating that the multitouch interface was a creation of the iphone , this is wrong. Finally my point about numbers was to show that there are great many smartphones before and after the iphone, to indicate the industry existed before the iphone in large numbers

5) finally, get off your emotional soapbox, no one begrudges the iPhones place in history , that would be asinine , I just seek to qualify that place in history in the context of the cell phone industry which has been my career since university, so with that said my point before you make a claim atleast correctly know the history

Right or wrong, you're displaying a good, non-aggressive attitude here. Thx.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
One guy said dead pixels the other said fracture in screen. Either way it was super noticeable. I initially thought it was just dirt or lint in the screen protector I had. Eventually it bugged me enough, I pulled it off.

Oh well. It's better now.

Sent from my something or another on Tapatalk.

That samething happend to my moms when she got her i5. The too of the screen was yellow. Took it back and Att returned it the next day.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I understood what you were presenting as an argument...but it was pretty groundless and without direction. I'll answer your list though...

1) Except they weren't getting into people's hands, and Apple made it happen (call it good timing or innovative development...either way, Apple brought the iPhone to the table in a way that people wanted...that hadn't been done before...EVER...with that type of phone.)

2) That's your opinion, I feel the design was just as much a part of the influence...Apple always have influenced design, it's part of the reason people feel it necessary to argue that Apple products are "vanity products"...people like to show them off because they look nice. And then we get into iOS.

3) I didn't say it was the greatest creation since the cell phone itself...and you addressed me specifically, so again, what are you talking about?

4) I wasn't confused on whether the industry existed before or around the iPhone. You seem to think that a preference of the iPhone and a person's impression on their development being positive automatically equates to that same person feeling it was the first phone ever made and the best thing ever created and blah blah freakin' blah. And AGAIN, if I didn't say it, why address it directly to me...makes no sense man!

5) Know the history? You're asking me to know the history? I KNOW the history...and I think you know this because you keep reflecting your responses to other people in your direct responses to me. Again, do you even know what you're arguing here? I asked you that before because I meant for you to address it...you said you wanted to qualify the iPhone's place in technological history...who asked you? I don't care what you qualify anything as because a qualification is really just an opinion in itself. You're obviously not the iPhone fan that some are here, so why would your qualifying be any more legitimate than someone who qualifies it differently if they're using the same base line information? So far, that is all I see...people pointing something out and you generically reminding everyone that iPhone wasn't the first and isn't the best (in your opinion).

For someone telling another to "know the history", you sure seem to represent your skewed opinion of this history as fact. With that, give it up...or represent it as opinion clearly...you haven't done either so far.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Also, speaking of soap boxes...aren't you the one that just admitted to feeling the need to go around qualifying the iPhone based on your opinions on this website when there isn't a single person here that asked you to do so? I mean how high can you stack soap boxes exactly?

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Let me start by saying that I really love my Apple products. I have had an ipod touch (I forget which generation), iPhone 3GS, 4, 5, and 5S, iPad 2, 4, and iPad Air. This is not an anti-Apple rant, just a rant on the iPhone 5s.

I recently got an iPhone 5s after using the 5 since launch day and I am very disappointed. Setting aside specs and looking purely at the actual user experience, I don't really see much of a difference between the 5 and 5s. Touch ID works well but I never locked my iPhones by pin before so I don't feel like it is shortening my time to unlock the phone and other than itunes, you can't use it for anything else. The camera has its moments of performing well but I don't find it substantially better than my 5's camera. I don't see it performing any faster or battery lasting that much longer. I just would not recommend getting the 5s if you have the 5.

I know that "s" years are usually incremental improvements and that Apple spent a lot of time working on ios 7 in 2013, but it just feels like in a market where smartphones are making leaps and bounds year to year, iphone 5s was just a very weak upgrade. I have hopes for the iphone 6 and there is a lot of hype already. I just hope it lives up to it.

You would find the difference while playing games. Plus, 5s has M7 chipset which will be useful with Health gadgets coming in future

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Hey seanhrcc, ok I think my opinion is pretty well researched not only through well being in the industry myself but because Heck I have to research this stuff for a living, but hey don't take my word for it I think another poster presented a really well thought out article that examined this very question.

http://m.gsmarena.com/mobile_phone_evolution-review-493p3.php

I think I speak for most people in this thread when I say that you're really starting to lose me here.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I think I speak for most people in this thread when I say that you're really starting to lose me here.

I'm just trying to understand why so many seem so willing to "argue" about this stuff. Seems funny that anyone would think the same old discussion is that important. Or is that it's more of "I'm right and your wrong!" We're interesting animals.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm just trying to understand why so many seem so willing to "argue" about this stuff. Seems funny that anyone would think the same old discussion is that important. Or is that it's more of "I'm right and your wrong!" We're interesting animals.

Pretty much all of us here are enthusiasts which makes it interesting discussion. I actually appreciate it when people disagree on here because I learn a thing or two about the tech world when people are responding to each other on here and other forums. But, if I see someone derailing and going all over the map when it comes to the subject matter, I start to lose interest and just point it out. And if I could, I'd treat the people I disagree with to some beers. We're a crazy bunch.*shrug*

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Let me start by saying that I really love my Apple products. I have had an ipod touch (I forget which generation), iPhone 3GS, 4, 5, and 5S, iPad 2, 4, and iPad Air. This is not an anti-Apple rant, just a rant on the iPhone 5s.

I recently got an iPhone 5s after using the 5 since launch day and I am very disappointed. Setting aside specs and looking purely at the actual user experience, I don't really see much of a difference between the 5 and 5s. Touch ID works well but I never locked my iPhones by pin before so I don't feel like it is shortening my time to unlock the phone and other than itunes, you can't use it for anything else. The camera has its moments of performing well but I don't find it substantially better than my 5's camera. I don't see it performing any faster or battery lasting that much longer. I just would not recommend getting the 5s if you have the 5.

I know that "s" years are usually incremental improvements and that Apple spent a lot of time working on ios 7 in 2013, but it just feels like in a market where smartphones are making leaps and bounds year to year, iphone 5s was just a very weak upgrade. I have hopes for the iphone 6 and there is a lot of hype already. I just hope it lives up to it.

I will agree that the 5S isn't a significant upgrade to the 5, but I don't think that it is meant to be. Even though there are many smartphones released within a year, I don't believe that year after year there are huge leaps made in performance and features. I still don't believe that anyone upgrading their smartphone every year will see major improvements in performance and features on any platform with any device. Even with the pace of technological advancements in the mobile space a consumer can only expect to see a "satisfying" improvement every two years. If you had the iPhone 4S then going to the 5S is a big upgrade. Those who have the iPhone 5 going to the 6 (whatever that's going to be) will likely be a huge improvement. So we shouldn't belittle the 5S because we don't think that it is a big improvement over the previous model, because I don't believe that was the intention. I will end by saying this, head-to-head, it holds its own with the top smartphones on other platforms. Actually, the only real criticism (hardware) that I have read about the 5S when comparing to other top smartphones is the screen size is considerably smaller, but even that is a matter of taste.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much all of us here are enthusiasts which makes it interesting discussion. I actually appreciate it when people disagree on here because I learn a thing or two about the tech world when people are responding to each other on here and other forums. But, if I see someone derailing and going all over the map when it comes to the subject matter, I start to lose interest and just point it out. *shrug*

Nothing wrong with disagreeing and even being passionate. However, people seem to feel the need to verbally assault one another or become seemingly aggressive so often. The anonymity of being in a forum seems to release attitudes amongst many that would likely not surface face to face. Folks can disagree respectfully or is that just an unrealistic expectation when one thinks they can get away with being what many would call an @$$. The moderators here must have their hands full or just very lenient compared to AC.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with disagreeing and even being passionate. However, people seem to feel the need to verbally assault one another or become seemingly aggressive so often. The anonymity of being in a forum seems to release attitudes amongst many that would likely not surface face to face. Folks can disagree respectfully or is that just an unrealistic expectation when one thinks they can get away with being what many would call an @$$.

I think that has become the culture of forums. People seem to use the forums to let out their frustrations in an unhealthy manner. But it is also the reason why there are moderators to keep things as civil as possible. I have often wondered why people have become so sensitive when it comes to their smartphone preferences. You cannot go to iMore and tout the greatness of Android just like you cannot go to Android Central and say anything positive about Apple or the iPhone and not get blasted. I learned that lesson a long time ago. I would say this to anyone going into an Internet forum is that you need alligator skin, mind what you say and the tone you use, try to be respectful, and be cognizant of your audience.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I think that has become the culture of forums. People seem to use the forums to let out their frustrations in an unhealthy manner. But it is also the reason why there are moderators to keep things as civil as possible. I have often wondered why people have become so sensitive when it comes to their smartphone preferences. You cannot go to iMore and tout the greatness of Android just like you cannot go to Android Central and say anything positive about Apple or the iPhone and not get blasted. I learned that lesson a long time ago. I would say this to anyone going into an Internet forum is that you need alligator skin, mind what you say and the tone you use, try to be respectful, and be cognizant of your audience.

Yes indeed.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Nothing wrong with disagreeing and even being passionate. However, people seem to feel the need to verbally assault one another or become seemingly aggressive so often. The anonymity of being in a forum seems to release attitudes amongst many that would likely not surface face to face. Folks can disagree respectfully or is that just an unrealistic expectation when one thinks they can get away with being what many would call an @$$. The moderators here must have their hands full or just very lenient compared to AC.

Some people just have a stronger delivery than others and it's perceived one way or another. I've had my share of arguments and flaming from my Crackberry days. I don't envy the moderators over at CB or AC. That's for sure. This is a walk in the park. I respect the moderators at those sites very much.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Some people just have a stronger delivery than others and it's perceived one way or another. I've had my share of arguments and flaming from my Crackberry days. I don't envy the moderators over at CB or AC. That's for sure. This is a walk in the park. I respect the moderators at those sites very much.

Me too.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I will agree that the 5S isn't a significant upgrade to the 5, but I don't think that it is meant to be. Even though there are many smartphones released within a year, I don't believe that year after year there are huge leaps made in performance and features. I still don't believe that anyone upgrading their smartphone every year will see major improvements in performance and features on any platform with any device. Even with the pace of technological advancements in the mobile space a consumer can only expect to see a "satisfying" improvement every two years. If you had the iPhone 4S then going to the 5S is a big upgrade. Those who have the iPhone 5 going to the 6 (whatever that's going to be) will likely be a huge improvement. So we shouldn't belittle the 5S because we don't think that it is a big improvement over the previous model, because I don't believe that was the intention. I will end by saying this, head-to-head, it holds its own with the top smartphones on other platforms. Actually, the only real criticism (hardware) that I have read about the 5S when comparing to other top smartphones is the screen size is considerably smaller, but even that is a matter of taste.

I don't think the iPhone 6 is going to be all that over the 5s, even if it sports a bigger screen. The 5 wasn't all that over the 4s. Okay sarcasm over.

The 5s is the biggest upgrade ever of one iPhone model to the next. One can dismiss the upgrade as irrelevant, in the same way the iPhone 6 upgrade can/will be dismissed as irrelevant over the 5s.

Much ground breaking technology was introduced in the 5s, which will be refined in the 6. Tick, tock. Apple's strategy is the same as Intel's.

The success of the real groundbreaking user upgrades along with the chipset updates will have competitors scrambling to catch up.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much all of us here are enthusiasts which makes it interesting discussion. I actually appreciate it when people disagree on here because I learn a thing or two about the tech world when people are responding to each other on here and other forums. But, if I see someone derailing and going all over the map when it comes to the subject matter, I start to lose interest and just point it out. And if I could, I'd treat the people I disagree with to some beers. We're a crazy bunch.*shrug*

Man, if an article that specifically recaps the history and evolution of smartphones in form and function as well as summarizes the trend in terms of hard sales numbers, "LOSES YOU" in a debate about the evolution of smart phones and the role of the iphone in that history, then I'm sorry I can't help you?

I personally can't see how more relevant a response could have been.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative