Disappointed in iPhone 5s

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I see the Alcatel was indeed a mobile "slab" phone with touchscreen, and there may have been others. I wonder why it wasn't more popular.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Because, apples secret to success, is not the product itself. People really honestly look at product as the end all be all to sales. It's not. Not at all. It's their ability to connect with its consumers, I had a huge argument with seanHrcc, about this, basically I pointed to a brilliant TED talk about leadership and it used Martin L, Apple and others as examples to examine why people follow. People keep talking about the iphone as it created all these tech in completing the iphone, it did not. It convinced people to buy existing technology as implemented and this is what they are exceptional at doing.

Think of how many people believed that the iphone was the first touch slab, it was not, not by a longshot. Also, the first iphone didn't even have MMS , the iphone was not the most important innovation to cellphone since the cell phone, the idea is simply preposterous. The iPhone is exceptional for its sales, and I would argue today in terms of innovation the contributions are much greater today than it's inception. It's past the influence was how you interfaced with the phone, again the finger vs mouse pointer paradigm which by far was its biggest contribution, and the understanding that's phone experience us very different from a desktop experience.

Give credit where credit is due, but give credit for the right things, if anything Apples biggest innovations are in marketing and business management. And their bread and butter , machine / human interfacing.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I find that all technology was relevant to the evolution of smartphones. I think they are all necessary and the iPhone is no exception.

Of course it's relevant. But people are giving the first iPhone credit it doesn't deserve it was not that revolutionary in of itself, it's all that Apple would bring to the table later on. Remember ITunes and Apps started with iPods not the IPhone.

The first iphones success was biggest push Apple made was interface and ecosystem, I think Apple pushed the industry in a certain direction here. Especially the melding of a smartphone as an entertainment platform.

Today I look at things like camera, replacement.

I think in terms of how we use our phone Apple as a forerunner but I suspect this evolution was happening regardless, but set a slower pace.

Everyone contributes in some way , Bberry as a messaging device and communication.

Apple on the entertainment front and life accessory.

Samsung has single handidly created the phablet market, and bigger screens are now the expectation by most...

I completely agree with your assessment though.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Of course it's relevant. But people are giving the first iPhone credit it doesn't deserve it was not that revolutionary in of itself, it's all that Apple would bring to the table later on. Remember ITunes and Apps started with iPods not the IPhone.

The first iphones success was biggest push Apple made was interface and ecosystem, I think Apple pushed the industry in a certain direction here. Especially the melding of a smartphone as an entertainment platform.

Today I look at things like camera, replacement.

I think in terms of how we use our phone Apple as a forerunner but I suspect this evolution was happening regardless, but set a slower pace.

Everyone contributes in some way , Bberry as a messaging device and communication.

Apple on the entertainment front and life accessory.

Samsung has single handidly created the phablet market, and bigger screens are now the expectation by most...

I completely agree with your assessment though.

What year did you buy your first cell phone?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I'm much happier this go around. No hairline fracture or dead pixels and NO rattle at all.

I'm good now.

Sent from my something or another on Tapatalk.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I'm much happier this go around. No hairline fracture or dead pixels and NO rattle at all.

I'm good now.

You had. Dead pixels? Really? I've never had dead pixels on any of the many Apple screens I've had...laptops, tablets, or phones. I'd come to think Apple didn't allow dead pixels.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You had. Dead pixels? Really? I've never had dead pixels on any of the many Apple screens I've had...laptops, tablets, or phones. I'd come to think Apple didn't allow dead pixels.

One guy said dead pixels the other said fracture in screen. Either way it was super noticeable. I initially thought it was just dirt or lint in the screen protector I had. Eventually it bugged me enough, I pulled it off.

Oh well. It's better now.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
One guy said dead pixels the other said fracture in screen. Either way it was super noticeable. I initially thought it was just dirt or lint in the screen protector I had. Eventually it bugged me enough, I pulled it off.

Oh well. It's better now.

Did you get a replacement 5s?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Henry Ford didn't invent the wheel or the car, but he sure as hell got it in the hands of consumers...Apple is the same way. The argument that they didn't "invent" the products they sell is ridiculous, so what? They figured out the way to get it into a flood of consumers hands...who cares who came up with the idea initially if they didn't get it out there?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Yea. Will you keep the 5c?

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

For now. Ones locked to my carrier and job (5c). The other was unlocked. I'd just got a nano SIM plus a nano to micro adapter so I can use my 5s and Note 3 with T-Mobile.

We don't sell the Note 3 at my job (Boost Mobile). So I jailbreak and spoof the carrier on the 5s to take advantage of the unlimited data/speeds on T-Mobile. Good times.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Henry Ford didn't invent the wheel or the car, but he sure as hell got it in the hands of consumers...Apple is the same way. The argument that they didn't "invent" the products they sell is ridiculous, so what? They figured out the way to get it into a flood of consumers hands...who cares who came up with the idea initially if they didn't get it out there?

So you are saying that smart phones didn't exist before Apple? Really? So smart phones were not on cpnsumers hands until Apple? This is inaccurate. While Ford made cars cheaper and easier to obtain bringing about the modern car industry, Apple did not do this in the cell phone industry.

Smartphones existed, many consumers already had smart phones, and more precisely Apple came to dominate an already existing industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones

The largest cell phone dealer is not Apple by the way it's been Samsung and prior Nokia, interestingly , Nokias 5230 , from 2010 has the record of best selling smartphone or cellphone period at 150 million units.

Last edited:

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone was the biggest game changer in the history of cell phones. It's that simple. Denying it doesn't make it not so.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So you are saying that smart phones didn't exist before Apple? Really? So smart phones were not on cpnsumers hands until Apple? This is inaccurate. While Ford made cars cheaper and easier to obtain bringing about the modern car industry, Apple did not do this in the cell phone industry.

Smartphones existed, many consumers already had smart phones, and more precisely Apple came to dominate an already existing industry.

List of best-selling mobile phones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The largest cell phone dealer is not Apple by the way it's been Samsung and prior Nokia, interestingly , Nokias 5230 , from 2010 has the record of best selling smartphone or cellphone period at 150 million units.

You have no idea what you're arguing do you?

Who said Apple made the first smart phone? Apple put out a product that had ZERO equal when it was released...no other company did it that well, and that is why it found an IMMEDIATE foot hold. Same with the iPad...same with the iPod. You seem stuck on this "first" thing...it's hilarious, but not surprising coming from you.

And then the numbers thing? LOL! I'm done with this...what is your point here? That Apple didn't invent the cellular phone and that other companies sell more devices across the spectrum of their device line up? If you can't see how ridiculous that is, there's literally no reason to discuss it with you anymore.