Disappointed in iPhone 5s

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Read my reply above...that was not the point of my analogy.

For what it's worth, I own a Prelude and a 600RR (love both of them), and have owned an S2000, Civic Hatchback, Civic Si and CL Type S...so please understand, I'm kind of a Honda head and would never claim Ford as a better maker than Honda ever, lol.

Mmmmm Prelude. I had a turbo Prelude for a while, very fun car.

naimmkassim

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
What is OP trying to said is that for normal life usage, there were no huge changes. I think only heavy usage will feel the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
The last Prelude was great. To bad they got right and then stopped making it. Honda seems to like to do that to me. :-( I had a 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata, grey, sliqness. ...but I always really wanted an S2000.

Anywho.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I know that "s" years are usually incremental improvements and that Apple spent a lot of time working on ios 7 in 2013, but it just feels like in a market where smartphones are making leaps and bounds year to year, iphone 5s was just a very weak upgrade. I have hopes for the iphone 6 and there is a lot of hype already. I just hope it lives up to it.

You had months since the 5S' launch to figure out it wasn't a big enough upgrade for you coming from a 5, but you bought it anyway. If you don't like it return it.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If you learn nothing else, maybe you'll learn to research the new device prior to upgrading. Not judging or hating, just making a statement. I've upgraded every time since the iP4 but felt this jump wasn't worth the $ for a few new items. Yes, the 64-bit is great but they really haven't pulled that thru yet. My guess is the iP6 will take advantage of what the architecture can do. The Touch ID was almost enough to get me. I use my iP5 for work and it's a PITA to log in with the password requirements they have us use. Touch ID would make life far easier, but not enough to burn an upgrade.
Worst case scenario is you have another great device. You can sell it and get something different if you wish or hold on to it. Next time, look more before leaping.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It's Apple, don't ever expect too much change. I haven't been excited since the iPhone 4.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
It's Apple, don't ever expect too much change. I haven't been excited since the iPhone 4.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

That is true. You can always expect solid devices but it's never mind blowing changes

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
so the iPhone 4S got a faster chip, a better camera and Siri compared to the iPhone4. The 5S not just improved in all those areas too but additionally introduced a brand new (much more efficient and refined) OS, Touch ID (which I consider quite ground breaking because it actually works this time) and of course this beauty
Apple-strikes-g7755.jpg
(plus a slicker black option). Interestingly, paradoxically, I have read fewer comments about the 4S being a huge let down about two years ago. Either Siri has 'wow'ed more people back then and TouchID seems a feature less showy in front of your friends... or the expectations towards Apple have simply changed. I guess it must be a bit of both.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, all I can tell you is that coming from Android the 5s is especially enjoyable.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I think any phone company these days is in an unenviable position. Judging by comments not just on Mobile Nations forums, but across the industry, phone development has hit something of a ceiling for the time being. As a result, until there's a technological breakthrough, many new phones may not live up to what is expected of them.

Bendy screens, smart watches ever finer resolution screens, bigger screens, faster processors etc., aren't new in the sense that email on a mobile phone was, or an all touch screen was, or cameras were. Therefore, until such time someone has another 'Eureka' moment, my guess is that all phones will be better than the one they replace, but not leaps ahead.

Phones today are amazing, but we live in a world where we have been conditioned to expect never-ending improvements to technology and it simply isn't possible to sustain it. It's like the World Bank expecting every country's economy to grow endlessly at 5%/year. How is it possible to achieve this? Can you eat 5% more food each year, every year....?

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
There's nothing at all wrong with the iPhone 5s IMO. A slightly bigger screen would be nice but like many iPhone owners I have iPads which merge seemlessly.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think any phone company these days is in an unenviable position. Judging by comments not just on Mobile Nations forums, but across the industry, phone development has hit something of a ceiling for the time being. As a result, until there's a technological breakthrough, many new phones may not live up to what is expected of them.

Bendy screens, smart watches ever finer resolution screens, bigger screens, faster processors etc., aren't new in the sense that email on a mobile phone was, or an all touch screen was, or cameras were. Therefore, until such time someone has another 'Eureka' moment, my guess is that all phones will be better than the one they replace, but not leaps ahead.

Phones today are amazing, but we live in a world where we have been conditioned to expect never-ending improvements to technology and it simply isn't possible to sustain it. It's like the World Bank expecting every country's economy to grow endlessly at 5%/year. How is it possible to achieve this? Can you eat 5% more food each year, every year....?

This a good point. We have been conditioned to expect the unexpected with mobile phone tech.

Oglon3r

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Tell me how that 64bit architecture is even remotely used?
Not even hating just curious.
Seems a little useless on the device as of right now.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

It's called laying the groundwork for future devices and applications.

It doesn't have to be useful right away to be innovative. Just look at NFC.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Just because a car has more horsepower than a person would remotely use in the real world doesn't mean the power is useless. The same logic can be applied here.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I echo most of you guys here. The 5S is a refresh and if you expect it to be otherwise, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

That said, I think Finger ID is a great addition and it actually gives you the freedom AND the speed to unlock your phone, when in the past you would not even lock your phone. That to me is a good innovation I hope many other companies emulate in the future. Biometrics is a feature that will see major time on many other device lines and I am eager to see where all this entails.

Same for 64 bit architecture, which Samsung just announced won't be on the S5, and no other phone has it. We would see huge improvements in speed, in apps, in games, for productivity in the coming year. It is going to be a huge year for developers, and by extension, us, the users.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
And it's only been 5 months that the 64 bit architecture has been in the wild. There may be ways that devs are taking advantage of it that we don't know about.
Even Apple may have things coming that take advantage of it.

I just don't get the "it has 64 bit but not using it" argument. The 5S has been for me a very smooth mobile computing experience.

Yea a few crashes here and there but there is no mobile or desktop system or app that doesn't crash.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why the iPads don't have Touch ID...are they not expensive enough? Is there not room in the chassis? What's the excuse?

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice