You say that things like touchscreen were going to happen regardless but the reality is that there was and is a iPhone no other reality scenario exits.

Touchscreen had already happened way before the iPhone of course

It's Apple implementation of the touchscreen specifically multi touch.
    That's the influence in mobile devices.
    Apples implementation of mobile email that has been a influence.
    Apples implementation of wifi in a mobile device that's been a influence.
    Apples implementation of the virtual keyboard that's been a influence.
    A virtual keyboard they said no one would ever like.
    Apples implementation of the design fit and form of mobile devices that's been a influence on the current mobile phone landscape.
    It's not Apples invention it's their implementation.
    Multi-touch also existed before Apple? Gestures for example pinch to zoom is not an Apple invention. In fact, they lost specifically on this point in the samsung fight. Having the claim thrown out.

Mobile email, blackberry owns that space period, still there isn't a better integration and they certainly have the best implementation and that's been true before and after the iphone.
    All mobile devices had wifi, I'm confused?
    I'll give them virtual keyboard was better than most, but again not an invention of Apple and existed prior
    They have some amazing designs, but I still fail to see where the market would be any different without Apple on this point?? Lighter, bigger, thinner was the norm... Remember the Motorola razr?

Apple has great implementation with that said, aside from the buttons finger paradigm and the ecosystem of app centric mobile experience, I don't see a trend that wouldn't have been adopted regardless. And in both cases I say Apple changed the game is the accelerated the adoption, ie buttons were huge and so are apps.

The web browser on iphone was sweet, this to me was game changer as well.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-18-2014 08:24 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the 5s having a 64-bit CPU and FP reader. Samsung needs things to copy.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32
    Nice one

Sent from my iPhone 5s.
    02-18-2014 08:36 PM
    Multi-touch also existed before Apple? Gestures for example pinch to zoom is not an Apple invention. In fact, they lost specifically on this point in the samsung fight. Having the claim thrown out.

Mobile email, blackberry owns that space period, still there isn't a better integration and they certainly have the best implementation and that's been true before and after the iphone.
    All mobile devices had wifi, I'm confused?
    I'll give them virtual keyboard was better than most, but again not an invention of Apple and existed prior
    They have some amazing designs, but I still fail to see where the market would be any different without Apple on this point?? Lighter, bigger, thinner was the norm... Remember the Motorola razr?

Apple has great implementation with that said, aside from the buttons finger paradigm and the ecosystem of app centric mobile experience, I don't see a trend that wouldn't have been adopted regardless. And in both cases I say Apple changed the game is the accelerated the adoption, ie buttons were huge and so are apps.

The web browser on iphone was sweet, this to me was game changer as well.

Multi Touch I never said Apple invented it. I said there implementation of it was a influence on mobile phones.

Mobile email again Apples implementation was influential not their invention.

Blackberry was not in hands of every person it was exclusive so was real email. Apples implementation was simple like people were used to on their Mac. BB,they tried to change their implementation Why? Because of iPhone. iPhone influenced BB to change their tune.

Apple brought the desktop computer experience to a mobile device. The simplicity the ease of use and the attractiveness of the software the look of the home screen was attractive. Yet another influence.

Not all mobile devices had wifi and certainly not all cell phones had wifi and iPhone was not the first. My Motorola Razr didn't have wifi.

The Razors design was riff on what they did for years a flip phone. iPhone was a riff on a computer specifically a Mac.
    Most every smart phone is a riff if not a iPhone but a riff on the computer desktop experience.

Look at Windows Phone they want to give you the same experience on all their devices. Why?..... iPhone the Apple ecosystem. Apple influenced them in the mobile landscape.

Apple changed the entire game. They put a computer in your pocket and now so does everyone else. That's very influential.
    02-18-2014 09:47 PM
    Multi Touch I never said Apple invented it. I said there implementation of it was a influence on mobile phones.

Mobile email again Apples implementation was influential not their invention.

Blackberry was not in hands of every person it was exclusive so was real email. Apples implementation was simple like people were used to on their Mac. BB,they tried to change their implementation Why? Because of iPhone. iPhone influenced BB to change their tune.

Apple brought the desktop computer experience to a mobile device. The simplicity the ease of use and the attractiveness of the software the look of the home screen was attractive. Yet another influence.

Not all mobile devices had wifi and certainly not all cell phones had wifi and iPhone was not the first. My Motorola Razr didn't have wifi.

The Razors design was riff on what they did for years a flip phone. iPhone was a riff on a computer specifically a Mac.
    Most every smart phone is a riff if not a iPhone but a riff on the computer desktop experience.

Look at Windows Phone they want to give you the same experience on all their devices. Why?..... iPhone the Apple ecosystem. Apple influenced them in the mobile landscape.

Apple changed the entire game. They put a computer in your pocket and now so does everyone else. That's very influential.
    Blackberry wasn't exclusive, got a while there they were #1 in the smartphone space, people forget this? Much larger than iPhones placing, mobile email hands down is blackberry bread and butter, and they still gave quite a large margin terms of actual features in this space. Remember the first iphone was 600 and that was on contract.

Apple brought its desktop experience to mobile OS, is one wrong, that's not what they did at all, and it's been overtime you seem some convergence but not in the way you are describing, it's rather an integration where by your mobile device compliments your desktop, the initial phone isn't remotely close to the form and function you see now, and the reason why it's happened has far more to do with capabilities of hardware to be low power consumption and far more powerful.

My point about the razr was its form, thin and large screen, again small lcds becoming cheaper . Which is the trend you see in phones today.thin , large screen this is natural progression.

Windows convergence started well before iphone with their tablets early in the 2000s. And Mac OS and iOS are entirely different beast, what Apple recognized is in fact they could not simply move Mac OS to the mobile space, and better to build a new OS, that recognizes one glaring point, your finger isn't precise like a mouse. The mistake MS made was they tried to shoehorn windows into the mobile space. I think this was apples actual genius, they didn't try to bring the desktop to mobile device, because you can not interact or don't at all interface with your desktop the way you do your mobile device.

02-18-2014 10:11 PM
    Crap! I went through all the trouble of having to drive all the way out to an Apple store to buy the phone, now I've gotta go back. Darn hairline fracture looking deal under the screen. Never dropped or even rough handled it. =\
    02-18-2014 11:45 PM
    Hate it when that happens, good luck with the return.
    02-19-2014 01:57 AM
    Apple didn't invent touchscreen tech. They invented the touchscreen "slab" form factor. Now, perhaps they just got to it first and if there was no iPhone at all android and all of his devices would be exactly where they are today.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    They didn't invent touchscreen slab either. Dude I really suggest you do some research on the mobile space, it's like saying IBM invented the laptop because thinkpads became popular?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-19-2014 02:18 AM
    They didn't invent touchscreen slab either. Dude I really suggest you do some research on the mobile space, it's like saying IBM invented the laptop because thinkpads became popular?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Who had a touchscreen slab smartphone before the iPhone? I may be wrong, if so, it's okay, really.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64
    02-19-2014 06:37 AM
    Who had a touchscreen slab smartphone before the iPhone? I may be wrong, if so, it's okay, really.

It's super impressive just how old this technology actually is.

http://m.gsmarena.com/alcatel_ot_com-31.php

http://m.gsmarena.com/mobile_phone_e...view-493p3.php

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Simon
    02-19-2014 07:03 AM
    It really doesn't matter what technology preceded the original iPhone. There was glass, electricity, batteries and buttons before the original iPhone but that doesn't take away from how innovative the device was. Apple put together the total package. Hardware, os and ecosystem. I'm not even a fanboy and I agree that the iPhone was the most important cell phone invention since the actual cell phone itself.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    02-19-2014 08:00 AM
    I see the Alcatel was indeed a mobile "slab" phone with touchscreen, and there may have been others. I wonder why it wasn't more popular.

02-19-2014 08:33 AM
    It really doesn't matter what technology preceded the original iPhone. There was glass, electricity, batteries and buttons before the original iPhone but that doesn't take away from how innovative the device was. Apple put together the total package. Hardware, os and ecosystem. I'm not even a fanboy and I agree that the iPhone was the most important cell phone invention since the actual cell phone itself.

Many would agree (my selfie included) but many would not. There's a whole slew of Android Central members that would likely say the iPhone is nearly irrelevant and the state of mobile phones has just followed an evolutionary course.

02-19-2014 08:39 AM
    I find that all technology was relevant to the evolution of smartphones. I think they are all necessary and the iPhone is no exception.
    phlamethrowre likes this.
    02-19-2014 08:54 AM
    I see the Alcatel was indeed a mobile "slab" phone with touchscreen, and there may have been others. I wonder why it wasn't more popular.

Because, apples secret to success, is not the product itself. People really honestly look at product as the end all be all to sales. It's not. Not at all. It's their ability to connect with its consumers, I had a huge argument with seanHrcc, about this, basically I pointed to a brilliant TED talk about leadership and it used Martin L, Apple and others as examples to examine why people follow. People keep talking about the iphone as it created all these tech in completing the iphone, it did not. It convinced people to buy existing technology as implemented and this is what they are exceptional at doing.

Think of how many people believed that the iphone was the first touch slab, it was not, not by a longshot. Also, the first iphone didn't even have MMS , the iphone was not the most important innovation to cellphone since the cell phone, the idea is simply preposterous. The iPhone is exceptional for its sales, and I would argue today in terms of innovation the contributions are much greater today than it's inception. It's past the influence was how you interfaced with the phone, again the finger vs mouse pointer paradigm which by far was its biggest contribution, and the understanding that's phone experience us very different from a desktop experience.

Give credit where credit is due, but give credit for the right things, if anything Apples biggest innovations are in marketing and business management. And their bread and butter , machine / human interfacing.

Last edited by acadia11; 02-19-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    02-19-2014 10:13 AM
    I find that all technology was relevant to the evolution of smartphones. I think they are all necessary and the iPhone is no exception.
    Of course it's relevant. But people are giving the first iPhone credit it doesn't deserve it was not that revolutionary in of itself, it's all that Apple would bring to the table later on. Remember ITunes and Apps started with iPods not the IPhone.

The first iphones success was biggest push Apple made was interface and ecosystem, I think Apple pushed the industry in a certain direction here. Especially the melding of a smartphone as an entertainment platform.

Today I look at things like camera, replacement.

I think in terms of how we use our phone Apple as a forerunner but I suspect this evolution was happening regardless, but set a slower pace.

Everyone contributes in some way , Bberry as a messaging device and communication.

Apple on the entertainment front and life accessory.

Samsung has single handidly created the phablet market, and bigger screens are now the expectation by most...

I completely agree with your assessment though.

02-19-2014 10:21 AM
    Of course it's relevant. But people are giving the first iPhone credit it doesn't deserve it was not that revolutionary in of itself, it's all that Apple would bring to the table later on. Remember ITunes and Apps started with iPods not the IPhone.

The first iphones success was biggest push Apple made was interface and ecosystem, I think Apple pushed the industry in a certain direction here. Especially the melding of a smartphone as an entertainment platform.

Today I look at things like camera, replacement.

I think in terms of how we use our phone Apple as a forerunner but I suspect this evolution was happening regardless, but set a slower pace.

Everyone contributes in some way , Bberry as a messaging device and communication.

Apple on the entertainment front and life accessory.

Samsung has single handidly created the phablet market, and bigger screens are now the expectation by most...

I completely agree with your assessment though.

What year did you buy your first cell phone?

02-19-2014 10:30 AM
    What year did you buy your first cell phone?

Sprint Spectrum...circa...'94 I think.

02-19-2014 10:44 AM
    Sprint Spectrum...circa...'94 I think.

That question was for acadia11.

02-19-2014 11:03 AM
    Okay, I'm much happier this go around. No hairline fracture or dead pixels and NO rattle at all.

I'm good now.

Sent from my something or another on Tapatalk.
    02-19-2014 11:56 AM
    That question was for acadia11.

I know...I was just having fun.

02-19-2014 11:57 AM
    Okay, I'm much happier this go around. No hairline fracture or dead pixels and NO rattle at all.

I'm good now.

You had. Dead pixels? Really? I've never had dead pixels on any of the many Apple screens I've had...laptops, tablets, or phones. I'd come to think Apple didn't allow dead pixels.

02-19-2014 11:59 AM
    You had. Dead pixels? Really? I've never had dead pixels on any of the many Apple screens I've had...laptops, tablets, or phones. I'd come to think Apple didn't allow dead pixels.

One guy said dead pixels the other said fracture in screen. Either way it was super noticeable. I initially thought it was just dirt or lint in the screen protector I had. Eventually it bugged me enough, I pulled it off.

Oh well. It's better now.

02-19-2014 12:02 PM
    One guy said dead pixels the other said fracture in screen. Either way it was super noticeable. I initially thought it was just dirt or lint in the screen protector I had. Eventually it bugged me enough, I pulled it off.

Oh well. It's better now.

Did you get a replacement 5s?

02-19-2014 12:09 PM
    Did you get a replacement 5s?

Yeah. It's got no rattle and definitely no screen defects this time. I'm satisfied. =)
    02-19-2014 12:27 PM
    Yea. Will you keep the 5c?

02-19-2014 12:28 PM
309 ... 56789 ...