I feel like Apple is working both sides. Sometimes they may hold out on a feature for future profit but sometimes it may be to perfect that feature before they release it to the public. With that being said, a company is just that and their prime reason for existing is profit. That whole Samsung is better than Apple because they want their customers to have the best is a crock. Its all about profits. If they could figure out how to sell a bunch of phones & hold out on all the gimmicky features, best believe they would. I wish people would get it through their heads that big business doesn't succeed on the sheer fact that they look out for customers.
    Samsung is taking a different approach in that they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink into a product without any deep thought (certainly not at the level of Apple) into how the individual pieces would affect the overall package.

Apple on the other hand isn't taking the easy route but finding a good balance between the features and the economy of the features. That is admirable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    nikkisharif, taz323 and kataran like this.
    02-12-2014 12:28 AM
    Samsung is taking a different approach in that they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink into a product without any deep thought (certainly not at the level of Apple) into how the individual pieces would affect the overall package.

Apple on the other hand isn't taking the easy route but finding a good balance between the features and the economy of the features. That is admirable.

I agree, its admirable but it still proves my point. Apple does what they know will sell Apple products (quality) and Samsung does what they know will sell Samsung products (features/gimmicks).
    kataran and Speedygi like this.
    02-12-2014 12:33 AM
    LTE, NFC, MMS were gimmicks. Retina was a gimmick. Come on now, stop the blind lust. These are features they added well after the industry, and none of them were gimmicks, they are ubiquitous .

Just admit apple holds onto features everyone else has to create buzz and desire .

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-12-2014 01:43 AM
    I never said there was anything wrong with it, I just said you know why the minis and air didn't have the scanner.

Also, samsung does the complete their philosophy is to get the latest and greatest in the hands of its supporters as soon as possible. Additionally, they try and design new features rapidly, if there isn't anything must have that they aren't implementing. For example the non touch tech.

I personally dislike apples mode of business in this way. But no one says they can't do it. I still remember the MMS fiasco, there was no good reason the original iphone shouldn't have had it, yes, MMS was new then but literally every phone on the planet had it. Apple baited and waited on a virtually ubiquitous feature in the mobile industry.

Apple isn't in the business of pushing things out if they feel it's not ready. The LTE iPhone came out at the right time. You know how many crappy LTE radios were being used on other phones of different manufacturers? They weren't going to push that out on the 4S if it wasn't ready for prime time. Same goes for the iPad mini. It didn't get retina on the first gen because it would have thickened the thing if they wanted to keep good battery life. So, they sacrificed retina. Now that they had better LCD tech a year later, they were able to keep it thin and light without sacrificing battery.

Look at how they pushed out the 3rd gen iPad with retina. It could be deemed a lemon because of the insane heating issues, especially for gamers. That's an example of where Apple screws up when they push something out too fast when it isn't 100% ready. Which is why they won't make a bigger screen on the iPhone this year if it isn't ready.
    02-12-2014 01:52 AM
    Apple isn't in the business of pushing things out if they feel it's not ready. The LTE iPhone came out at the right time. You know how many crappy LTE radios were being used on other phones of different manufacturers? They weren't going to push that out on the 4S if it wasn't ready for prime time. Same goes for the iPad mini. It didn't get retina on the first gen because it would have thickened the thing if they wanted to keep good battery life. So, they sacrificed retina. Now that they had better LCD tech a year later, they were able to keep it thin and light without sacrificing battery.

Look at how they pushed out the 3rd gen iPad with retina. It could be deemed a lemon because of the insane heating issues, especially for gamers. That's an example of where Apple screws up when they push something out too fast when it isn't 100% ready. Which is why they won't make a bigger screen on the iPhone this year if it isn't ready.
    Mms and lTe weren't ready? Huh? How was mms not ready?

A bigger screen wasn't ready? Ps, apple stated that they missed the boat on not having larger screen devices.

Finally, how is the scanner which they already carry in one device not ready.

Just stop, seriously, it's nothing more than marketing and economic business decision and it works. It's like the girl who holds out and the lame axx dude who waits and thinks her honey is better because she did so. Let's be real, here.

I mean how in the f was MMs a universal standard that every phone not ready, especially in that app makers supplied you with mms readers because the phone didn't do it natively.

02-12-2014 02:06 AM
    Mms and lTe weren't ready? Huh? How was mms not ready?

A bigger screen wasn't ready? Ps, apple stated that they missed the boat on not having larger screen devices.

Finally, how is the scanner which they already carry in one device not ready.

Just stop, seriously, it's nothing more than marketing and economic business decision and it works. It's like the girl who holds out and the lame axx dude who waits and thinks her honey is better because she did so. Let's be real, here.

I mean how in the f was MMs a universal standard that every phone not ready, especially in that app makers supplied you with mms readers because the phone didn't do it natively.

I didn't mention MMS because that was just Apple saying okay, stfu and just have your scaled down media messages through your carriers if you want it that bad instead of just sending high quality through email (at the time) through your UNLIMITED DATA. In that sense, people were just blind.

When did Apple state they missed the boat on a larger screen? They've acknowledged they won't make a larger screen if it's not ready. Think of my 3rd gen iPad analogy.

As far as LTE goes, read what I specifically was talking about when I mentioned LTE. They weren't going to just throw a crappy LTE radio because enthusiasts wanted LTE already. The LTE radio on, you guessed it, the 3rd gen iPad is terrible.

I agree about touch ID. Maybe they don't have enough they can produce. I don't know. I do believe they've held that back to save it as a feature for the next gens.
    02-12-2014 02:19 AM
    I don't understand why the iPads don't have Touch ID...are they not expensive enough? Is there not room in the chassis? What's the excuse?

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 
    Might be in the future but right now they probably think it would be a waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-12-2014 04:02 AM
    I didn't mention MMS because that was just Apple saying okay, stfu and just have your scaled down media messages through your carriers if you want it that bad instead of just sending high quality through email (at the time) through your UNLIMITED DATA. In that sense, people were just blind.

When did Apple state they missed the boat on a larger screen? They've acknowledged they won't make a larger screen if it's not ready. Think of my 3rd gen iPad analogy.

As far as LTE goes, read what I specifically was talking about when I mentioned LTE. They weren't going to just throw a crappy LTE radio because enthusiasts wanted LTE already. The LTE radio on, you guessed it, the 3rd gen iPad is terrible.

I agree about touch ID. Maybe they don't have enough they can produce. I don't know. I do believe they've held that back to save it as a feature for the next gens.
    I think you just hit an important point that could be exactly what is happening, that Apple don't really have the volume to produce touchid for the iPads. That's the most logical point I have heard so far.

nikkisharif likes this.
    02-12-2014 04:20 AM
    I think you just hit an important point that could be exactly what is happening, that Apple don't really have the volume to produce touchid for the iPads. That's the most logical point I have heard so far.

That's interesting. I'd think Apple sells a lot more iPhone 5s' than iPads and each one has a Touch ID sensor...but back on the Fall perhaps they didn't have enough supply for both the iPhone and both iPads.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64
    nikkisharif and Speedygi like this.
    02-12-2014 04:50 AM
    Motorola has top tier LTE radios, always have since the Droid Razr to the Droid Maxx.. Send a MMS while talking on the Phone at the same exact time? iPhone still cant do that.
    02-12-2014 07:24 AM
    Motorola has top tier LTE radios, always have since the Droid Razr to the Droid Maxx.. Send a MMS while talking on the Phone at the same exact time? iPhone still cant do that.
    That inability never leaves my mind. I lay awake at night thinking about it. No really. If I could just send an MMS while talking on the phone I'd be complete. Perhaps I'll leave iOS so I can send MMS' while chatting. Ummm. Na.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 
    i7guy and kataran like this.
    02-12-2014 08:05 AM
    I had the iPhone 5 and sold it got a nexus 5 for awhile and sold it too. For the same price I bought it! Then finally got an iPhone 5s and love it so much only because of touch ID

02-12-2014 10:34 AM
    Cause those android phones have a second antenna to do so.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    02-12-2014 10:58 AM
    You can do voice and data on a ATT iPhone. The voice rolls back to 3G or edge on the GSM network. On a CDMA network the iPhone can't do this roll back. All the iPhones have 2 antennas for better reception. If the CDMA iPhones had 3 antennas that would be a manufacturing issue. In a few years maybe sooner than later there will be voice over LTE so this won't be issue.
    When I had a ATT iPhone it wasn't a big deal doing voice and data at the same time. Now I have a Sprint iPhone I don't miss it at all.
    kataran and nikkisharif like this.
    02-12-2014 11:54 AM
    You can do voice and data on a ATT iPhone. The voice rolls back to 3G or edge on the GSM network. On a CDMA network the iPhone can't do this roll back. All the iPhones have 2 antennas for better reception. If the CDMA iPhones had 3 antennas that would be a manufacturing issue. In a few years maybe sooner than later there will be voice over LTE so this won't be issue.
    When I had a ATT iPhone it wasn't a big deal doing voice and data at the same time. Now I have a Sprint iPhone I don't miss it at all.
    Correct answer GsM based iPhones can do messaging and voice at the same.

02-12-2014 01:14 PM
    Correct answer GsM based iPhones can do messaging and voice at the same.

Yes I send mms and talk at the same time on my 5s
    02-12-2014 01:57 PM
    The LTE radio in the original Droid RAZR isn't really that great. That phone, I think, was released around the same time frame as the 4S.
    02-12-2014 06:12 PM
    the 4S is a 3G phone. they don't compare

02-12-2014 06:36 PM
    The s2000 is my favorite sports car

02-12-2014 06:37 PM
    The s2000 is my favorite sports car

Understandibly

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64
    02-12-2014 06:38 PM
    the 4S is a 3G phone. they don't compare

Not in that aspect. The other person was saying that Apple held off on bringing LTE to the iPhone until the iPhone 5 to have that feature in their back pocket while everyone else was releasing LTE phones. Since 2011 was pretty much the year manufacturers started releasing them and Apple didn't, that's why I reference that time. To further my point that Apple didn't necessarily hold off on putting LTE on the iPhone so they could use it for marketing on the next release. It was simply because it wasn't ready for prime time (the LTE radios).
    02-12-2014 07:21 PM
    I think it was more then that also. I think at the time verizon didn't have the iphone either. and wasn't Verizon the first US network with true LTE, the carriers that did support the iphone at the time didn't have LTE anyways

02-12-2014 07:27 PM
    One of the main reasons that Apple held up on some technology is battery life.
    As far as I know iPhone is one of the first not to have a removable battery.

Battery life has always been a concern for Apple. Plenty of the 1st 3G phones with removable batts had terrible batt life. Same with the first 4G phones.
    Now a few phone makers are doing non removable batts. I believe the the HTC One is non removable and I hear it's not that good with batt life.
    02-12-2014 08:52 PM
    I think it was more then that also. I think at the time verizon didn't have the iphone either. and wasn't Verizon the first US network with true LTE, the carriers that did support the iphone at the time didn't have LTE anyways

Verizon did. They got the 4 earlier that year in February. But you're absolutely right about only Verizon having good support for LTE at the time. AT&T's had barely launched and didn't have much coverage. Remember when they were able to get the "4G" logo on the signal bars? Lol. They were pushing HSPA+ at the time. Sprint hadn't launched LTE either. T-Mobile still didn't have the iPhone either.
    02-12-2014 09:23 PM
    it's so fascinating seeing over the years how technology advanced it's almost a blur thinking that only a few years ago LTE was one of those things you actually got excited about especially with the thunderbolt supposedly the only phone to support LTE at the time but only had 5 hour battery life lol. phones used to be thick and crappy battery's

02-12-2014 09:28 PM
309 12345 ...