If you learn nothing else, maybe you'll learn to research the new device prior to upgrading. Not judging or hating, just making a statement. I've upgraded every time since the iP4 but felt this jump wasn't worth the $ for a few new items. Yes, the 64-bit is great but they really haven't pulled that thru yet. My guess is the iP6 will take advantage of what the architecture can do. The Touch ID was almost enough to get me. I use my iP5 for work and it's a PITA to log in with the password requirements they have us use. Touch ID would make life far easier, but not enough to burn an upgrade.
    Worst case scenario is you have another great device. You can sell it and get something different if you wish or hold on to it. Next time, look more before leaping.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-10-2014 10:54 PM
    It's Apple, don't ever expect too much change. I haven't been excited since the iPhone 4.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    02-11-2014 12:51 AM
    It's Apple, don't ever expect too much change. I haven't been excited since the iPhone 4.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    That is true. You can always expect solid devices but it's never mind blowing changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EmceeGeek and nikkisharif like this.
    02-11-2014 01:15 AM
    so the iPhone 4S got a faster chip, a better camera and Siri compared to the iPhone4. The 5S not just improved in all those areas too but additionally introduced a brand new (much more efficient and refined) OS, Touch ID (which I consider quite ground breaking because it actually works this time) and of course this beauty
    Disappointed in iPhone 5s-apple-strikes-g7755.jpg
    (plus a slicker black option). Interestingly, paradoxically, I have read fewer comments about the 4S being a huge let down about two years ago. Either Siri has 'wow'ed more people back then and TouchID seems a feature less showy in front of your friends... or the expectations towards Apple have simply changed. I guess it must be a bit of both.
    02-11-2014 03:56 AM
    Well, all I can tell you is that coming from Android the 5s is especially enjoyable.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-11-2014 06:11 AM
    I think any phone company these days is in an unenviable position. Judging by comments not just on Mobile Nations forums, but across the industry, phone development has hit something of a ceiling for the time being. As a result, until there's a technological breakthrough, many new phones may not live up to what is expected of them.

Bendy screens, smart watches ever finer resolution screens, bigger screens, faster processors etc., aren't new in the sense that email on a mobile phone was, or an all touch screen was, or cameras were. Therefore, until such time someone has another 'Eureka' moment, my guess is that all phones will be better than the one they replace, but not leaps ahead.

Phones today are amazing, but we live in a world where we have been conditioned to expect never-ending improvements to technology and it simply isn't possible to sustain it. It's like the World Bank expecting every country's economy to grow endlessly at 5%/year. How is it possible to achieve this? Can you eat 5% more food each year, every year....?
    02-11-2014 06:45 AM
    There's nothing at all wrong with the iPhone 5s IMO. A slightly bigger screen would be nice but like many iPhone owners I have iPads which merge seemlessly.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 
    anon(73368) likes this.
    02-11-2014 07:14 AM
    I think any phone company these days is in an unenviable position. Judging by comments not just on Mobile Nations forums, but across the industry, phone development has hit something of a ceiling for the time being. As a result, until there's a technological breakthrough, many new phones may not live up to what is expected of them.

Bendy screens, smart watches ever finer resolution screens, bigger screens, faster processors etc., aren't new in the sense that email on a mobile phone was, or an all touch screen was, or cameras were. Therefore, until such time someone has another 'Eureka' moment, my guess is that all phones will be better than the one they replace, but not leaps ahead.

Phones today are amazing, but we live in a world where we have been conditioned to expect never-ending improvements to technology and it simply isn't possible to sustain it. It's like the World Bank expecting every country's economy to grow endlessly at 5%/year. How is it possible to achieve this? Can you eat 5% more food each year, every year....?
    This a good point. We have been conditioned to expect the unexpected with mobile phone tech.
    George Jenkinson likes this.
    02-11-2014 11:53 AM
    Tell me how that 64bit architecture is even remotely used?
    Not even hating just curious.
    Seems a little useless on the device as of right now.
    02-11-2014 03:27 PM
    It's called laying the groundwork for future devices and applications.

It doesn't have to be useful right away to be innovative. Just look at NFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nikkisharif and iRiidium like this.
    02-11-2014 03:43 PM
    Several app developers have made updates to app and stated those updates would not have been possible on a 32-bit architecture. See the dev for the djay and vjay apps for an example. Their apps run on older devices but certain aspects only work on 64-bit devices.
    02-11-2014 06:20 PM
    Just because a car has more horsepower than a person would remotely use in the real world doesn't mean the power is useless. The same logic can be applied here.
    02-11-2014 06:48 PM
    I echo most of you guys here. The 5S is a refresh and if you expect it to be otherwise, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

That said, I think Finger ID is a great addition and it actually gives you the freedom AND the speed to unlock your phone, when in the past you would not even lock your phone. That to me is a good innovation I hope many other companies emulate in the future. Biometrics is a feature that will see major time on many other device lines and I am eager to see where all this entails.

Same for 64 bit architecture, which Samsung just announced won't be on the S5, and no other phone has it. We would see huge improvements in speed, in apps, in games, for productivity in the coming year. It is going to be a huge year for developers, and by extension, us, the users.
    02-11-2014 06:56 PM
    And it's only been 5 months that the 64 bit architecture has been in the wild. There may be ways that devs are taking advantage of it that we don't know about.
    Even Apple may have things coming that take advantage of it.

I just don't get the "it has 64 bit but not using it" argument. The 5S has been for me a very smooth mobile computing experience.

Yea a few crashes here and there but there is no mobile or desktop system or app that doesn't crash.
    02-11-2014 07:11 PM
    I don't understand why the iPads don't have Touch ID...are they not expensive enough? Is there not room in the chassis? What's the excuse?

02-11-2014 08:31 PM
    Had the 5 the 5S is better in real life experience and on paper 📲

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    melbsteve likes this.
    02-11-2014 08:37 PM
    I don't understand why the iPads don't have Touch ID...are they not expensive enough? Is there not room in the chassis? What's the excuse?

bit off topic but surely just a matter of time, the recent iPad generation couldn't implement it due to a shortage of TouchID sensors I understand. Makes sense if you look at how they struggled to catch up with the 5S demand. I guess if they had decided to build it into the iPad Air some 5S customers would still be waiting for their device. This year it's iPad's turn.
    02-11-2014 09:28 PM

I really couldn't understand why they didn't either. I thought for certain that at least one of the new iPad's released last year would have received the tech, but alas, they came out with nothing. The only reasonable excuse I read online was that they were running short of supply on them at the time, and were trying to meet 5S pre-orders still (hard to believe but at least sounded some what legitimate).
    02-11-2014 09:35 PM
    MIMO was traded in the ipad air for touch id in the 5s.
    02-11-2014 09:56 PM
    bit off topic but surely just a matter of time, the recent iPad generation couldn't implement it due to a shortage of TouchID sensors I understand. Makes sense if you look at how they struggled to catch up with the 5S demand. I guess if they had decided to build it into the iPad Air some 5S customers would still be waiting for their device. This year it's iPad's turn.
    I really couldn't understand why they didn't either. I thought for certain that at least one of the new iPad's released last year would have received the tech, but alas, they came out with nothing. The only reasonable excuse I read online was that they were running short of supply on them at the time, and were trying to meet 5S pre-orders still (hard to believe but at least sounded some what legitimate).
    Yeah, I guess that's plausible. Well, too bad for me but I love my rMini and Air otherwise, I really do. So, perhaps in 18 months when I'm due for my NEXT upgrades all that sliqness and more will be in place.

02-11-2014 09:57 PM
    Sean , Apple is notorious for holding onto features to release later in order to build buzz. Example, the mini could have released with retina. Siri could run on and did on the 4. Apple is great at this type of marketing, LTE, sure everyone is offering but we will wait, not because we can't offer but we will save for the next upgrade.

If you haven't realized this pattern by now, you are definitely quite gullible

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    RobertAdams313 likes this.
    02-11-2014 10:01 PM
    Sean , Apple is notorious for holding onto features to release later in order to build buzz. Example, the mini could have released with retina. Siri could run on and did on the 4. Apple is great at this type of marketing, LTE, sure everyone is offering but we will wait, not because we can't offer but we will save for the next upgrade.

lol...so a person is gullible if they don't believe in your conspiracy theory? Give me a break.

Do I see some of the patterns? Sure! But these moves aren't always a way to make more money down the road with marketing ploys...and there is never a point where they release a device with that single function as THE updated feature, it's always surrounded by plenty of other things that truly represent the "refresh" or "remodel" status.
    02-11-2014 10:32 PM

Even if that's true that Apple holds on to features. That's just business nothing wrong with it.
    "I want you to buy my new product and it's going to have something the old one doesn't. It's not personal just business"
    02-11-2014 11:09 PM
    I never said there was anything wrong with it, I just said you know why the minis and air didn't have the scanner.

Also, samsung does the complete their philosophy is to get the latest and greatest in the hands of its supporters as soon as possible. Additionally, they try and design new features rapidly, if there isn't anything must have that they aren't implementing. For example the non touch tech.

I personally dislike apples mode of business in this way. But no one says they can't do it. I still remember the MMS fiasco, there was no good reason the original iphone shouldn't have had it, yes, MMS was new then but literally every phone on the planet had it. Apple baited and waited on a virtually ubiquitous feature in the mobile industry.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-11-2014 11:24 PM
    I feel like Apple is working both sides. Sometimes they may hold out on a feature for future profit but sometimes it may be to perfect that feature before they release it to the public. With that being said, a company is just that and their prime reason for existing is profit. That whole Samsung is better than Apple because they want their customers to have the best is a crock. Its all about profits. If they could figure out how to sell a bunch of phones & hold out on all the gimmicky features, best believe they would. I wish people would get it through their heads that big business doesn't succeed on the sheer fact that they look out for customers.
    02-11-2014 11:44 PM
309 1234 ...