why is that OtterBox cases for the 5S don't work well when listening to music? I remember my 4s worked great when the headphone jack was top. it works great when The 5s is out of the case though. is there another durable case that works well?

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-09-2014 06:10 PM
    Are you using headphones with the Otterbox case? Not sure exactly what the problem is.
    02-09-2014 09:37 PM
    Yeah I have a few OB's and don't have any sound issues.
    02-09-2014 09:45 PM
    the problem is it cuts in & out (you know what I mean).

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-09-2014 09:52 PM
    Dremel out the headphone jack part of the case to where the headphone cord has a normal connection like there's no case at all...that's what I've read several people have done with POS cases.
    02-09-2014 09:59 PM
    I they apple should't of put the headphone jack on the bottom.
    02-09-2014 10:50 PM
    My suggestion would be to take that big ugly case and throw it in the garbage
    02-10-2014 05:32 PM
    I have a spigen tough armor and have no issues with headphones or sound. Also use the apple leather cases without issue.
    02-10-2014 05:34 PM
    I they apple should't of put the headphone jack on the bottom.
    I think it's fine on the bottom.
    02-10-2014 06:03 PM
    I think it's fine on the bottom.
    It bothers me in the bottom when trying to use it on an elliptical or treadmill. Since the iPhone doesn't allow upside down rotation, the only choice when trying to use the headphone jack is on its side. But it's just a small irritation
    02-10-2014 07:31 PM
    It bothers me in the bottom when trying to use it on an elliptical or treadmill. Since the iPhone doesn't allow upside down rotation, the only choice when trying to use the headphone jack is on its side. But it's just a small irritation
    Something no phone company has done yet but would be a good idea is have two headphone jacks available one on the top and bottom for whatever activity it suits best

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    02-10-2014 09:54 PM
    When I use to use my Otterbox and my wired headphones, the music sounds just as it does without the case. I think the jack is fine at the bottom but then again I use wireless headphones most of the time.
    02-10-2014 10:09 PM
    Something no phone company has done yet but would be a good idea is have two headphone jacks available one on the top and bottom for whatever activity it suits best

I would be happy if they'd just allow upside down rotation on the iPhone. That would solve the problem easier than two headphone jacks since it would be software only.
    nikkisharif and HAWK like this.
    02-10-2014 10:53 PM
    Upside down rotation would be nice. I love that feature on my rMini
    02-10-2014 11:36 PM
    I would be happy if they'd just allow upside down rotation on the iPhone. That would solve the problem easier than two headphone jacks since it would be software only.
    You make a valid point.

02-11-2014 12:17 AM
    I have an otterbox preserve case and the music sounds great out of the speaker!
    02-11-2014 12:32 AM
    It bothers me in the bottom when trying to use it on an elliptical or treadmill. Since the iPhone doesn't allow upside down rotation, the only choice when trying to use the headphone jack is on its side. But it's just a small irritation…
    I use an arm band so I never have to set mine in the cups. I think having the screen flip like you guys were saying would be a nice option though.
    02-11-2014 09:05 AM
    I use an arm band so I never have to set mine in the cups. I think having the screen flip like you guys were saying would be a nice option though.
    I know why they don't allow upside down rotation on the iPhone and maybe it made sense 7 years ago when the phone first came out but I don't think it makes sense now. The reasoning is that if they allowed upside down rotation that people would be using the phone upside down and when receiving a phone call would put the phone to their ear without changing it to right side up and the speaker and microphone would be in the wrong place for a phone call which would cause people to complain about call quality. That why the iPad is allowed to rotate upside down because it isn't used to make phone calls.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-11-2014 09:09 AM
    I use an otter box also with no issues. I use the original EarPods

nikkisharif likes this.
    02-11-2014 09:11 AM
    I know why they don't allow upside down rotation on the iPhone and maybe it made sense 7 years ago when the phone first came out but I don't think it makes sense now. The reasoning is that if they allowed upside down rotation that people would be using the phone upside down and when receiving a phone call would put the phone to their ear without changing it to right side up and the speaker and microphone would be in the wrong place for a phone call which would cause people to complain about call quality. That why the iPad is allowed to rotate upside down because it isn't used to make phone calls.
    They're going to have to get into the mode where they develop smart phones with the idea that people that use them would know the difference. Idiots will need to be left behind, lol.
    02-11-2014 10:55 AM
    Call screens don't allow for rotation currently. Would it not be possible to leave those the way they are but allow for upside down orientation elsewhere?

While I agree with you here I think it would be pretty tough to answer an inverted incoming call screen or dial out upside down and not realize that flipping the phone over would provide optimum call quality.
    02-11-2014 12:59 PM
    Call screens don't allow for rotation currently. Would it not be possible to leave those the way they are but allow for upside down orientation elsewhere?

While I agree with you here I think it would be pretty tough to answer an inverted incoming call screen or dial out upside down and not realize that flipping the phone over would provide optimum call quality.
    The issue is that no app on the iPhone is allowed to have an upside down orientation. Devs are not given a choice. I agree that if they wanted to allow it or allow devs to decide (including deciding to not allow it) then that would be a good solution.
    02-11-2014 01:01 PM
    The issue is that no app on the iPhone is allowed to have an upside down orientation. Devs are not given a choice. I agree that if they wanted to allow it or allow devs to decide (including deciding to not allow it) then that would be a good solution.
    I liked the upside down rotation with apps on iOS 3 & 4 (& 5?) it was useful for those remote control apps that used an accessory.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    02-11-2014 05:35 PM
    I liked the upside down rotation with apps on iOS 3 & 4 (& 5?) it was useful for those remote control apps that used an accessory.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Upside down rotation was never allowed afaik. Those remote control apps just designed there UI so that it was upside down and only made sense that way.
    02-11-2014 06:06 PM
    I use an otter box also with no issues. I use the original EarPods

Welcome to iMore!!!
    02-12-2014 12:40 AM
31 12