Why won't OtterBox cases for the 5S work well when listening to music?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
why is that OtterBox cases for the 5S don't work well when listening to music? I remember my 4s worked great when the headphone jack was top. it works great when The 5s is out of the case though. is there another durable case that works well?

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Dremel out the headphone jack part of the case to where the headphone cord has a normal connection like there's no case at all...that's what I've read several people have done with POS cases.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a spigen tough armor and have no issues with headphones or sound. Also use the apple leather cases without issue.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
It bothers me in the bottom when trying to use it on an elliptical or treadmill. Since the iPhone doesn't allow upside down rotation, the only choice when trying to use the headphone jack is on its side. But it's just a small irritation?

Something no phone company has done yet but would be a good idea is have two headphone jacks available one on the top and bottom for whatever activity it suits best

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When I use to use my Otterbox and my wired headphones, the music sounds just as it does without the case. I think the jack is fine at the bottom but then again I use wireless headphones most of the time.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It bothers me in the bottom when trying to use it on an elliptical or treadmill. Since the iPhone doesn't allow upside down rotation, the only choice when trying to use the headphone jack is on its side. But it's just a small irritation…

I use an arm band so I never have to set mine in the cups. I think having the screen flip like you guys were saying would be a nice option though.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know why they don't allow upside down rotation on the iPhone and maybe it made sense 7 years ago when the phone first came out but I don't think it makes sense now. The reasoning is that if they allowed upside down rotation that people would be using the phone upside down and when receiving a phone call would put the phone to their ear without changing it to right side up and the speaker and microphone would be in the wrong place for a phone call which would cause people to complain about call quality. That why the iPad is allowed to rotate upside down because it isn't used to make phone calls.

They're going to have to get into the mode where they develop smart phones with the idea that people that use them would know the difference. Idiots will need to be left behind, lol.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I know why they don't allow upside down rotation on the iPhone and maybe it made sense 7 years ago when the phone first came out but I don't think it makes sense now. The reasoning is that if they allowed upside down rotation that people would be using the phone upside down and when receiving a phone call would put the phone to their ear without changing it to right side up and the speaker and microphone would be in the wrong place for a phone call which would cause people to complain about call quality. That why the iPad is allowed to rotate upside down because it isn't used to make phone calls.

Call screens don't allow for rotation currently. Would it not be possible to leave those the way they are but allow for upside down orientation elsewhere?

While I agree with you here I think it would be pretty tough to answer an inverted incoming call screen or dial out upside down and not realize that flipping the phone over would provide optimum call quality.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The issue is that no app on the iPhone is allowed to have an upside down orientation. Devs are not given a choice. I agree that if they wanted to allow it or allow devs to decide (including deciding to not allow it) then that would be a good solution.

I liked the upside down rotation with apps on iOS 3 & 4 (& 5?) it was useful for those remote control apps that used an accessory.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice