I was texting my friend last night. My conversations are in blue and her messages are gray. we both received a new message i thought she was sending it to me but she wasn't. And I did not send her anything after 6 PM. The new message is green and it looks like someone else sent it to us. Please help
    02-08-2014 02:53 PM
    The green represents an SMS message. It could have been mere SMS SPAM.
    02-08-2014 02:59 PM
    i don't think it was SMS SPAM. This person was trying to respond to my question to my girlfriend. I checked the contact name and it only showed my friend name on the conversation between us. By the way my phone is the company phone. Can the Admin from my company check our IM if she has access to the master account with Verizon?
    02-08-2014 03:01 PM
    It's really hard to say if someone is spying on your phone. It could be that your gf is pulling a prank on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-08-2014 03:10 PM
    If the conversation was on iMessage and either of the iTunes accounts being used are logged in on other devices then someone else could see the convo.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    02-08-2014 03:11 PM
    I tested this morning by sending messages from my girlfriend's phone to my phone. our conversations are in gray and blue. Just that weird message is in green and it was a text message instead of an iMessage.
    02-08-2014 03:17 PM
    I tested this morning by sending messages from my girlfriend's phone to my phone. our conversations are in gray and blue. Just that weird message is in green and it was a text message instead of an iMessage.
    All that means was that someone without an Apple device sent you that message.

02-08-2014 03:53 PM

Apple devices can text each other.

02-08-2014 05:05 PM
    Apple devices can text each other.

Correct, but it's an SMS, not an iMessage, so it shows up green instead of blue. That was his point.
    02-09-2014 10:33 AM
    Correct, but it's an SMS, not an iMessage, so it shows up green instead of blue. That was his point.
    I've had times while using iMessage , when for one reason or another in mid conversation it stop sending through iMessage but sent SMS instead. It happens.
    02-09-2014 10:46 AM
    My point was that just because it comes in as a text doesn't mean that an apple device didn't send it. You can't tell what kind of device sends a text to you. To say that because it is a text an apple device didn't send it is potentially incorrect.

BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    02-09-2014 12:47 PM
    My point was that just because it comes in as a text doesn't mean that an apple device didn't send it. You can't tell what kind of device sends a text to you. To say that because it is a text an apple device didn't send it is potentially incorrect.

IMessage are blue, SMS are green
    02-09-2014 12:52 PM
    Yeah but sometimes the iPhone sends message as SMS instead of iMessage - nothing strange with that. Happens regularly between me and my wife's iPhone. There is a setting for allowing it so send as SMS instead of iMessage when iMessage fails. And then it turns green

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    02-09-2014 01:12 PM

No it doesn't. As phlamethrowre said, it simply means that the device that sent the message was not using iMessage...which can easily be done with an iPhone.

To the OP...normal SMS (text) messages show up as green bubbles. If it was not from your friend and was just randomly inserted into you guys conversation, you probably just experienced a very uncommon and random error in the way the message was sent. I have had a conversation going with my wife and then a green text message will show up that is over a month old will pop up in the middle of the conversation...I think what happens is when a message is sent, sometimes it can get stuck in la la land and then one day, randomly it will complete it's sending process and will pop up.

This has no relevance to someone "spying" on your phone. Are people spying on your phone? All the time...lol. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
    taz323 and Beyond Fire like this.
    02-09-2014 01:51 PM
    Yeah but sometimes the iPhone sends message as SMS instead of iMessage - nothing strange with that. Happens regularly between me and my wife's iPhone. There is a setting for allowing it so send as SMS instead of iMessage when iMessage fails. And then it turns green

That probably has something to do with your data connection. iMessage travels over the internet. Text travels over the cellular connection just like a voice call. If your data connection is weak or fails the message will go as a text.

Personally I don't use iMessage. I change phones and platforms quite often. If you have been using iMessage for a while and switch to WP or android you will have issues receiving messages from your contacts that were sending you messages on iMessage. It's not worth the headache. Anyway, I have unlimited text messaging.

02-09-2014 02:58 PM
    That probably has something to do with your data connection. iMessage travels over the internet. Text travels over the cellular connection just like a voice call. If your data connection is weak or fails the message will go as a text.

Personally I don't use iMessage. I change phones and platforms quite often. If you have been using iMessage for a while and switch to WP or android you will have issues receiving messages from your contacts that were sending you messages on iMessage. It's not worth the headache. Anyway, I have unlimited text messaging.

Yeah that was what I wrote, when iMessage fails for reasons like no data connection or other things it sends as SMS instead.

phlamethrowre likes this.
    02-09-2014 03:00 PM
    Yeah that was what I wrote, when iMessage fails for reasons like no data connection or other things it sends as SMS instead.

And I think this is where these issues come into play...iMessage fails, so it reverts to SMS...then network connectivity may prevent the SMS message from completing on the senders end or receivers end, so the message gets stuck in transmittal, and just hangs. If it hangs for too long, I think the message gets lost and just randomly finds it's way back eventually down the road.
    02-09-2014 04:09 PM

Correct. If that what you meant before, then I misunderstood and I apologize. Like Taz, mine will sometimes randomly switch back and forth (even with a solid data signal that never fails), sometimes separated by mere seconds.
    02-09-2014 04:44 PM
    Look and see if there is a "Joe's Plumbing" van parked on your street. It could have been a message from Obama.

More than likely though, it was a message sent through SMS for whatever reason, and not iMessage.
    phlamethrowre likes this.
    02-09-2014 05:14 PM
    Maybe the thread was somehow started as a group message? Or iMessage's silent background text slipped in? What did the text say (as specific as you can get without getting into your personal stuff I mean)?
    02-09-2014 06:09 PM

This has no relevance to someone "spying" on your phone. Are people spying on your phone? All the time...lol. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
    Just to make a slightly off topic point, but yes, you do have something to worry about if someone is spying on your phone, regardless if you're doing nothing wrong. THIS IS NOT OKAY.

It's utterly sad how in this day and age we use the argument "if you're doing nothing wrong you shouldn't worry about it. If you're worried that means you're doing something wrong" to justify this sort of behaviour.
    02-10-2014 09:44 AM
    Just to make a slightly off topic point, but yes, you do have something to worry about if someone is spying on your phone, regardless if you're doing nothing wrong. THIS IS NOT OKAY.

It's utterly sad how in this day and age we use the argument "if you're doing nothing wrong you shouldn't worry about it. If you're worried that means you're doing something wrong" to justify this sort of behaviour.
    Who justified anything? Who said it was ok? I can tell you, since you quoted my thread specifically, that I, in no way, shape or form, indicated that the activity of spying on people's phones was justified or ok. I'm just a realist, and I understand that at any given moment, your electronic devices are being monitored. It's just the way it is these days...do I like it? Hell no I don't like it. It's invasive, it's unfair and most of all, it's illegal. But it still happens, whether I scream to the heavens that I want it to stop, or I just quietly understand it.

And what are you going to do about it? Aside from eliminating these devices from your life, which many people have, in fact, chosen to do...you're in the system, you're being monitored. You really think they were ever going to give society something as powerful as the internet and these mobile devices that can access it at a whim without some kind of formal control and observation? Let's get real here.

As sh*tty as it is...as illegal as it is...as much as it absolutely takes a dump on the constitution and bill or rights that our forefathers founded this country on, there aint a damn thing you can do about it.
    Beyond Fire and EmceeGeek like this.
    02-10-2014 10:13 AM
    I simply would have to see the messages to understand. Any green message, as stated above, is an SMS message; and an iPhone to iPhone can easily be green if iMessage can't connect to data properly. If I were you I would check under settings > messages to see if anyone has included their phone number in your send & receive address box and your friend should do the same. Someone could possibly be getting all of your iMessages if they added their number; Anyone can do it if they have access to your phone, physically.
    02-10-2014 12:19 PM
    Someone is always spying. That's what the movie "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith was about ...SMILE
    02-16-2014 01:36 PM