How is T-Mobiles network with the iPhone 5S?

Oviraptor

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
How is T-Mobiles network on the 5S? I heard it was really nice, but I wanted to get some other opinions. T-Mobile made me a deal I can't refuse with it paying my ETFs and everything so I made the switch from Verizon and I am eagerly awaiting my 5S in the mail.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That will depend on coverage in YOUR area. I've never had a problem with T-Mobile's voice or data services, but it's been awhile and I was in Orlando at the time. Check their coverage map to get a general idea of what to expect. As for the iPhone 5S working well on T-Mobile's network, it shouldn't be any problems whatsoever, but again, it all depends on T-mobile's network coverage in YOUR area.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
LTE works good on my wife's iPad r-Mini in the city (Atlanta), but once you get too far outside of the perimeter, service becomes spotty. It was awful in the north Georgia mountains...

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It definitely depends on the area. I have T-Mo in my rMini & service sucks when I'm home, just outside of Cleveland but it's a tad better when I'm in Atlanta or Albuquerque.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is that I get great coverage and I'm in metro atlanta. It depends on your location.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
As a resident of suburban NJ and a commuter to NYC, I can say that T-Mobile has been surprisingly much more reliable than Verizon, which ended up being a hit or miss the closer you got to the city.

I chronicled my aggravation with Verizon here with the last test between T-Mobile and Verizon in midtown Manhattan: http://youtu.be/cj_PCuf-NkU

Needless to say, I'm paying less, I got true unlimited, and I'm getting 4G and LTE practically everywhere I go. Yes, it does drop down to E deep in some stores and restaurants seldomly, but data performance still fares better than when I used to get 3G on Verizon which gave me nothing but fake bars and no services.

Being able to have my kids watch Netflix while cruising down the Garden State Parkway made the switch well worth it.

Also, it's nice to have simultaneous voice and data again, which the iPhone couldn't do on Verizon or Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I use an AWS-enabled iPhone 5 on T-Mobile ($3/day unlimited!) when I'm in the US.

T-Mobile varies by region. So when you're in the Northeast, it's great -- I had very good coverage in Princeton. When you're in regional cities, it's still good -- there's LTE coverage in Buffalo and Syracuse. If you're in the upper Midwest, not so great -- almost nothing in North Dakota and Minnesota.

It drops down to 2G outside the main cities often, though, which can be annoying. T-Mobile is still building up its network. But it's gotten so much better over the last year that I'm very happy to be using them when I'm in the US, usually.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile in the Northern NJ area, right across from Manhattan. I didn't do the ETF thing as it's a Verizon iPhone 5s, so it's unlocked off the bat, and my term with Verizon was almost done anyway, so the ETF cost as opposed to the credit I would've gotten for trading in the phone didn't add up. I just paid $10 for a nano-SIM and ported my number over.

So far, it's been okay. I get LTE just about everywhere I go, but indoor reception can be a hit or miss. I did slash my monthly wireless bill by MORE than half, so I'd say that 10% of the time I get 2G or no service isn't a big issue for me. Verizon wasn't perfect either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711