Battery Dead after listening to Beats Music????

cavytt

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I had my phone charged fully this morning at 7am EST. I decided to play some music on my new Beats Music app at around 815 ish. By 930 the phone was down to 22 percent battery left. It was scorching hot. I quit all apps, and restarted my phone. Now usually I have very good success with beats music and all of my apps, so I am baffled at how or why my iPhone drained so quickly, when it usually lasts all day. Could it really be from the Beats Music app? It was streaming music for about a solid hour, hour and a half.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. If you were using LTE for streaming, that could explain it since the battery drains quickly when on LTE.

cavytt

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes I was using LTE the entire time. It just suprised me because I know that battery drains fast when streaming anything over LTE, but to go down to 21 percent in less than 2 hours off the charger is crazy. I restarted the phone an i am not using it and the usual standby battery life I am used to getting seems to have returned.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't die that fast.. Hmm, but it could have since you have to have Bluetooth for the beats headphones, the beats music app is streaming in the background constantly, and you were using LTE.

Sent from my Black iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😊

Jazzkevin

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same issue with Beats Music while on LTE. My 5s was fully charged at 5 pm and drained to 60% within an hour. Switched to Pandora and the battery drainage dramatically slowed.

jmo333

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same problem even after downloading songs! This means that even when you are not streaming Beats Music still eats up battery life hella fast.

I don't understand why this is happening, but it's a major drawback.

hatunike

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Yep, i've been doing tests and I can confirm that Beats Music drains the battery CRAZY fast. You can watch it drain. It can even drain your battery while you are charging on a laptop. Can almost drain the entire battery in an hour. It's worse than if you are using the most taxing navigation software.

I hope they fix it asap, because it's completely a non starter for me to lose so much battery so quick. And I really love the app.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!!! I have Beats Music & I haven't had that issue. It drains about the same as it does when I'm listening to iTunes Radio or Pandora. And I have my wireless headphones synced.

LordLugard

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. If you were using LTE for streaming, that could explain it since the battery drains quickly when on LTE.

Actually, LTE uses less juice than 3G, oddly enough. I don't think being on LTE made his device drain to 22% in that time frame. Something else is/was definitely the catalyst.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well beats music is not available here in Canada but I know I usually get about 7-8 hours of iTunes Radio on 3G with a full charge and with tunein radio pro I usually get about 5 hours on 3G so 80% battery usage within 2 hours on LTE with just streaming music is really bad IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

hatunike

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
The craziest part is how it can actually drain your battery while you are plugged in charging. Which I think shows there is a serious issue. Apps shouldn't even be allowed to do that right? (This is with the display off, but music playing).

Last edited:

gc916

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I am in the middle of the trial period with Beats Music, and was adding songs and playlists yesterday while connected via my home WiFi network. The battery dropped from 98% to 86% in about 30 minutes. Seems abnormal to me.

naimmkassim

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
The craziest part is how it can actually drain your battery while you are plugged in charging. Which I think shows there is a serious issue. Apps shouldn't even be allowed to do that right? (This is with the display off, but music playing).

In my case the battery drain while charging when im watching you tube..dont know whats problem..😿

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stteve#CB

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with Beats on AT&T LTE and WiFI. Using an iPhone 5s with IOS 7.0.4 and Beats 1.0.3. The phone would heat up and drain about 2% per minute. After closing Beats it was fine the other night; however, today I closed the app and the drain and heat issue continued. I then deleted Beats and it still continued. I had to actually reset my settings before the battery drain stopped. There seems to be major conflict with settings. No my phone has better battery life with the reset settings and sans Beats Music. I really want to try Beats again.

Zoe from Beats

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey y'all - our team has a fix on the way for this. Thank you all for your posts & for being Beats Music listeners, we appreciate your interest & feedback very much as we work to make Beats Music more awesome.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey y'all - our team has a fix on the way for this. Thank you all for your posts & for being Beats Music listeners, we appreciate your interest & feedback very much as we work to make Beats Music more awesome.

Thank you so much for the update- I am sure our community appreciates the response. Please keep us updated

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with Beats on AT&T LTE and WiFI. Using an iPhone 5s with IOS 7.0.4 and Beats 1.0.3. The phone would heat up and drain about 2% per minute. After closing Beats it was fine the other night; however, today I closed the app and the drain and heat issue continued. I then deleted Beats and it still continued. I had to actually reset my settings before the battery drain stopped. There seems to be major conflict with settings. No my phone has better battery life with the reset settings and sans Beats Music. I really want to try Beats again.

I wonder if I'm not having an issue because I'm running iOS 7.1. Interesting...

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted and Welcome to iMore!!!!

LATB

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I observe a very large battery use with Beats Music also over WIFi -- was just now listening for maybe an hour *over WiFi* and the battery went down from 100% to 58% and the iPhone was hot to the touch. I was googling for "battery problems Beats Music" and this was ~ the only relevant hit.

I've an iPhone 5s