I've been in these forums for a long time. I jump from Android to iOS and back again rather frequently - I'm not an addict, I can quit anytime!

Just for a brief history of my phones, I went from the BlackBerry world to a Droid X, to a Droid 3, to an iPhone 4, then a Moto Razr, then a Galaxy Nexus, then an iPhone 4S, then a Galaxy S3, then I used an iPhone 5 for roughly 8 months before making the journey back to Android with a DNA, then an S4, and now a Moto X. I've been back with Android since last March, so going on 11 months. The Moto X is a great phone. Good battery life, no crap skins, and customizable - but it leaves me feeling like it isn't premium, and I don't trust Moto if something goes wrong with it as their customer service hasn't been real solid. However, Punit Soni and some other high ups in Moto are great and respond to questions/complaints on G+ quite frequently.

I'm also firmly invested in Google's ecosystem, being that I use GMail, Google Calendar, Keep (for notes), Google Music (All Access member here), and use a ChromeCast at home. I do have quite a number of paid apps on iOS, as well, after being on it for probably over a year with the 4, 4S, and 5. I do like Android a lot - I like the freedom and customization where I feel like I can make my phone/tablet MINE - but it feels like every phone is missing something and I'm always looking for the next thing. The Moto X is SO CLOSE, but that camera is terrible and I use my smartphone as my digital camera and I'm always taking pictures of my daughters. Feeling like I'm going to miss out on a special moment drives me insane.

I'm looking at going back to iOS, which I haven't used since before iOS 7 was released. If I go back, I'm going at it full bore - meaning I'll be buying an iPad and Apple TV, too. But I haven't used iOS 7, and I'm not sure how easy it is to use all things Google while on an iPhone. I use two email accounts (Hotmail and Gmail) and I'd like them both in the Apple Email app, and not have to use both GMail and the Email app.

I guess what I'd like to know is if there are any Android converts out there, preferably recent ones, who could give me some insight into their transition and their experience. Sorry for the ramble and taking so long to get to some sort of question!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond!
    01-28-2014 04:36 PM
    I'm looking at going back to iOS, which I haven't used since before iOS 7 was released. If I go back, I'm going at it full bore - meaning I'll be buying an iPad and Apple TV, too. But I haven't used iOS 7, and I'm not sure how easy it is to use all things Google while on an iPhone. I use two email accounts (Hotmail and Gmail) and I'd like them both in the Apple Email app, and not have to use both GMail and the Email app.
    Doing Hotmail & Gmail in the stock Mail app is very doable...
    01-28-2014 05:03 PM
    Doing Hotmail & Gmail in the stock Mail app is very doable...
    Right. Just wanting to know people's experience with it. Does it delete the emails off the server from there or just the phone to where I'd have to go through the Gmail app or computer to actually delete them?
    01-28-2014 05:22 PM
    Right. Just wanting to know people's experience with it. Does it delete the emails off the server from there or just the phone to where I'd have to go through the Gmail app or computer to actually delete them?
    The Gmail on iPhone uses IMAP... you can modify what happens on Google's end by logging into Gmail via web browser, going to settings... and 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab in the Gmail settings.
    01-28-2014 05:34 PM
    The Gmail on iPhone uses IMAP... you can modify what happens on Google's end by logging into Gmail via web browser, going to settings... and 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab in the Gmail settings.
    Are there any specific settings I should change?
    01-28-2014 05:45 PM
    Are there any specific settings I should change?
    whichever ones you need to make it do what you want...
    01-28-2014 05:52 PM
    Hopefully you make the transition back you just might find iOS 7 very refreshing

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    01-28-2014 06:01 PM
    I've been in these forums for a long time. I jump from Android to iOS and back again rather frequently - I'm not an addict, I can quit anytime!

Just for a brief history of my phones, I went from the BlackBerry world to a Droid X, to a Droid 3, to an iPhone 4, then a Moto Razr, then a Galaxy Nexus, then an iPhone 4S, then a Galaxy S3, then I used an iPhone 5 for roughly 8 months before making the journey back to Android with a DNA, then an S4, and now a Moto X. I've been back with Android since last March, so going on 11 months. The Moto X is a great phone. Good battery life, no crap skins, and customizable - but it leaves me feeling like it isn't premium, and I don't trust Moto if something goes wrong with it as their customer service hasn't been real solid. However, Punit Soni and some other high ups in Moto are great and respond to questions/complaints on G+ quite frequently.

I'm also firmly invested in Google's ecosystem, being that I use GMail, Google Calendar, Keep (for notes), Google Music (All Access member here), and use a ChromeCast at home. I do have quite a number of paid apps on iOS, as well, after being on it for probably over a year with the 4, 4S, and 5. I do like Android a lot - I like the freedom and customization where I feel like I can make my phone/tablet MINE - but it feels like every phone is missing something and I'm always looking for the next thing. The Moto X is SO CLOSE, but that camera is terrible and I use my smartphone as my digital camera and I'm always taking pictures of my daughters. Feeling like I'm going to miss out on a special moment drives me insane.

I guess what I'd like to know is if there are any Android converts out there, preferably recent ones, who could give me some insight into their transition and their experience. Sorry for the ramble and taking so long to get to some sort of question!

Switched from the s4 on ATT to the 5s about a month ago and I haven't looked back. Very impressed with ios7.
    mark5019 and nikkisharif like this.
    01-28-2014 07:15 PM
    Switched from the s4 on ATT to the 5s about a month ago and I haven't looked back. Very impressed with ios7.
    What do you like about it so far? Anything in particular?
    01-28-2014 08:08 PM
    Hopefully you make the transition back you just might find iOS 7 very refreshing

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    Yeah, I'm not 100% sure yet. There are a lot of things I really like about Android. One thing that always sticks in the back of my mind is that something isn't going to work right and I'll have no recourse. And for OCD reasons, iOS is much better. :-)
    kataran and nikkisharif like this.
    01-28-2014 08:10 PM
    What do you like about it so far? Anything in particular?
    I really like the slo-mo cam. I just really like the phone overall. My S4 was ok it had a lot of lag. With this 5s lag is so rare.
    kataran and nikkisharif like this.
    01-29-2014 07:39 AM
    I went from the galaxy S4 to the 5S. So happy to be back to the iPhone. I went from the iPhone 3G to the 4 and then went to the galaxy note and then the S4. I was never truly satisfied with android.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-29-2014 08:33 AM
    I went from the galaxy S4 to the 5S. So happy to be back to the iPhone. I went from the iPhone 3G to the 4 and then went to the galaxy note and then the S4. I was never truly satisfied with android.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    I think that's part of my issue with Android. I really like it. A lot. Especially the ability to make the phone "mine". But it seems like something is always missing, and I'm never completely satisfied.
    01-29-2014 09:12 AM
    I have always liked my S4, and how it felt and how it really flies on apps.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    01-29-2014 09:16 AM
    I have always liked my S4, and how it felt and how it really flies on apps.

Yeah, I'm on a Moto X now and I can't complain about the speed or the fact that it doesn't lag. But it still feels like it's missing something.
    01-29-2014 09:23 AM
    Yeah, I'm on a Moto X now and I can't complain about the speed or the fact that it doesn't lag. But it still feels like it's missing something.
    I'm guessing, maybe, you miss the consistency in the app designs on it, and maybe it just doesn't have that sleek feeling to the user interface of Android compared to iOS?

01-29-2014 09:24 AM
    I'm guessing, maybe, you miss the consistency in the app designs on it, and maybe it just doesn't have that sleek feeling to the user interface of Android compared to iOS?

Yeah, honestly I think that's exactly it. And camera. Still haven't found one that's as good as the iPhone.
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-29-2014 09:37 AM
    I had a S2 for 2 years and i loved it! best phone i had ever owned, i had every intention of sticking with android, does everything i wanted and more. I loved being able to customize everything on the phone and had it all setup exactly how i wanted. After 2 years though i was getting a bit bored with android overall and decided to switch. Got a good deal on a 5C to begin with and i fell in love with it. The handset itself was lovely to hold and having a smaller screen initially was a bit off putting but i got used to it and the increase in resolution and being able to use the phone one handed was worth the drop in size.

Unfortunately though i had problems with my 5C so swapped it for another, had issues with the second handset so ended up getting a free upgrade to a 5S, it's honestly the best phone I've owned. Everything just works with ios, with android i used to have issues with crashes and stuff but had got used to it after 2 years but don't think i could go back now. I use gmail and it all works fine on the 5S, i had no issues getting my contacts on the iphone either.

My only complaint is the actual build quality of iphones, coming to Apple i expected the highest quality possible but out of 3 phones in the space of 3 weeks, 2 of them were faulty. My 5S has some very minor issues, power button rattles and i've picked up a scuff on the case but i do feel better knowing i can go to a Apple store in the future and change it if i find any further faults. I think i was just very lucky with my S2 as it was perfect and i never had to deal with Samsung but i doubt it would have been as easy as going to a Apple store.

When my contract ends i'm going to have to see what's about, i have every intention on getting the next iphone but Android is a great system and who knows what will be about in 2 years.
    01-29-2014 12:06 PM
    I couldn't fault my S4, it was a good device. I just prefer Apple's ecosystem, MP3 player and overall polish.
    01-29-2014 12:12 PM

I love romantic questions lol.

To me both are pretty much the same. However I do enjoy the Apple ecosystem for accessories and stuff since in Android is device specific.

About email management you should be careful about using the apps, especially with the Apple mail as I believe these are made for enterprise emailing. If you receive a lot of emails you can expect a good chunk of space be used by these. I've always preferred using the respective app or even a third email account that receives forwarded emails from the others. Specially from those senders relevant to you. I do this because I'm picky about what I see in my phone and I hate being notified about every email that comes along knowing I really check fewer than 10% of them all.

What I love about android devices are the larger screens. I enjoy more using phablets (about 5"-5.5") because I use wifi a lot. However I do enjoy more the iphone music apps for discovering music and such. Android music apps are pretty rudimentary. As with any phone all has their ups and downs.
    01-30-2014 03:45 PM
    I'm not a permanent convert; I still use Android as my daily driver, but love to dabble in all four major platforms.

I use the Google ecosystem a lot, use apps like Tasker and Swype extensively to boost productivity, and while Android is a dig eat dog world, I kind of like the OEM battle.

But Apple is just smooth. The pieces just fit together so well. It has, IMHO, the best ecosystem, and it just feels like if it can be done, iOS will do it.

The customer service us nothing to sniff at either.
    01-30-2014 09:16 PM
    I switched from a Nexus 4 a few months back when the iPhone 5S came out. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with my experience with the iPhone, but to be perfectly honest, I find myself itching to switch back. There's just something about the stock android experience that I find hard to beat. In a sense, I feel like having a Nexus in my pocket is much closer to having a pocketable computer than using an iPhone. But it all just depends on your preferences. You have much more control over your phone with Android, and depending on now tech savvy you are, certain features could be a deal breaker to you. For example, little things like app placement on the home screen is restricted, deletion of application cache data on iOS is practically non-existent unless you like to delete and reinstall apps (which I don't).

On the flip side though, you can get a lot of Google's services now on iOS as well. Play Music, google now, google maps. They're all there and present, but coming back to the restrictions, I feel like their functionality is just a bit more limited than their Android counterparts (for obvious reasons).

For me, it boils down to this: what do you see yourself needing more out of your device? The way that I always explain and talk to people about iOS vs Android is usability vs utility. iOS is incredibly usable. It's easy to just pick it up and go. But there's Android on the other hand. I feel like it's a more utilable OS.

That's just a question you'll have to answer for yourself. I hope I helped, though!
    01-31-2014 12:35 PM
    iPhone 4 -> Nexus S -> iPhone 3GS -> HTC Amaze -> iPhone 5 -> iPhone 5s.

No real advice to give other than to sync your stuff --contacts, etc.

Also, if you hate using iTunes, as I do, use the Google Play Music app (US-only) to keep your non-Apple music on your phone. It works nicely.
    01-31-2014 05:18 PM
    I am a very newbie here..just convert from android to ios..im not a customization kind of guy..im leave my android stock as possible..not change anything from the day i buy it..for me android i like it mostly cause it can easily integrate with my window PC..i do a lot of my university work on android and synch it with my Window PC..i just bought this iphone out of curiosity last 2 week..im now taking long break holiday after final exam..not sure how its going to work after im started back my study next month..will let you know my experience with iphone when my class started back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-01-2014 09:16 AM
    New convert from an HTC Evo. It was a great phone. And there many things I prefer about the Android OS. iOS7 sold it for me.(And to be fair I have been using ipads and ipod touches for years so the transition is pretty easy for me. And Google apps on the iphone are pretty good! So I have the same Gmail experience (I don't mess with Apple's mail app) I also have Google Now. I DO wish the screen were bigger, but I bought a Galaxy Tab LTE as a stand in.
    Looking forward to a long relationship with the 5S.
    02-01-2014 11:08 AM
26 12